4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teen choice
This novel is on the new WJEC course for English Literature, so as an English teacher I bought it to consider teaching to my pupils. It is an excellent choice, being both short and accessible, but also thought provoking with some well drawn characters.

Published on 16 Mar 2010 by Mrs. R. M. Davies

2.0 out of 5 stars Editor's really need to sort out the errors
I am reading this book as it is on the GCSE Engish Language list of set books for Edexcel. I thought I'd see whether I'd like to teach it.

I have absolutly no problem with the story itself, it's very good. However, the Kindle edition is terrible. Almost every page is peppered with mistakes. It's obviously been typed up in a hurry and not checked carefully...
Published on 19 May 2011 by bex4ad

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teen choice, 16 Mar 2010
Mrs. R. M. Davies (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heroes (Puffin Teenage Fiction) (Paperback)

For confident teens or adult readers it is a quick read - 2 hours from cover to cover - but this is one of its strenghs, since rereading and revising from it will be enjoyable and rewarding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truely great book!, 13 Sep 2004
By A Customer
I'm only 15 years old and started this in school. I thought it would be another boring book like some of the other stuff. But as soon as we read the first chapter I was hooked. After this so I could find out what was gonna happen next I went out and bought it and finished it in 2 days! It truely has open my eyes to how cool books are and after this I have bought many books from this site and there are a few I could recommend, but this truely has to be one of the best, and can be read by all ages, a truely great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A heart rendering tale of love and courage, 18 Oct 2005
BOOK REVIEW
'Heroes' by Robert Cormier
This book based on World War Two, and grips you right until the end.
The book begins by telling us about one soldier, Francis Cassavant (the main character), who was badly injured in the war and is receiving treatment in a hospital with lots of other soldiers. Francis an 18-year-old war veteran is returning home to Frenchtown to try to get back to normality and carry on with his life, but as we find out things are not as simple as that and Francis has a reason for going to war in the first place as he is trying to escape a certain past event. Frenchtown got its name as many of the people who live there are French immigrants and we hear of various references throughout the book about France, also many of the characters have French names.
Throughout the book we are told about a place called the 'wreck centre' where Francis spent most of his childhood and met a man called Larry LaSalle who also plays a vital part in the story. Francis went to a convent when he was a child and this is where he met his 'childhood sweetheart' Nicole Renard, who also attended the wreck centre. There are a lot of anecdotes in this book as most of the events discussed happened a long time ago and Francis is just trying to come to terms with them. It is almost as if while he has been at war time has stood still and now that he has returned home he has to put certain unfinished matters to rest and that he does. He revisits certain situations and goes to see certain people to put his mind at rest.
In my opinion this is a very gripping story, which captures even the coldest of hearts. Robert Cormier has an amazing ability to describe in detail certain situations, which creates a great deal of imagery. However, the one fault is that sometimes the story is hard to follow, as one chapter may be completely different from the previous. Overall I would rate this book at 8/10.

2.0 out of 5 stars Editor's really need to sort out the errors, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Heroes (Kindle Edition)

This should be amended, especially as a large body of students now download electronic books to their mobiles and Kindles. Really disappointing.

By all means, buy the book. Just avoid the electronic version until they sort it out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heroes, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Heroes (Puffin Teenage Fiction) (Paperback)
This purchase was for my granddaughter for course work required by school, she was pleased with her purchase, would recommended to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 July 2014
for granddaughter for school

4.0 out of 5 stars ... english gcse and was surprised just how much I enjoyed this book, 3 July 2014
Mr. N. V. Newson "nipper" (cambs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heroes (Kindle Edition)
I read this because it was part of my granddaughters english gcse and was surprised just how much I enjoyed this book. It was also nice that we could discuss the book and analize it together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great revision aid., 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Heroes (Puffin Teenage Fiction) (Paperback)
Bought this for my sons GCSE exam. This was much cheaper than buying through normal bookshops. Great value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great read but the chapters arnt labeld., 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Heroes (Puffin Teenage Fiction) (Paperback)
It's a great story and all but the chapters are not labels so it can be diffuclt when answer questions on papers you recieve in class. But it's efficinat for the price and you wont mind making notes in it either.

Arived well on time and was a blast from the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for teenagers, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Heroes (Puffin Teenage Fiction) (Paperback)
This book has been selected as reading for our teenage English students.

The print is clear and spaced nicely on the page - not too cramped, which some readers find off-putting. The story flowed quickly and the opening pages grabbed your attention so you wanted to find out more.

Easily read in one sitting if a couple of hours spare.

Although written some decades ago, it is still very relevant today.

Heroes (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
Heroes (Puffin Teenage Fiction) by Robert Cormier (Paperback - 2014)
5.24