5.0 out of 5 stars Robin Jarvis has a unlimeted imagination.
Published on 23 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant but it was okay...
Published on 18 Aug 2006 by Amy

5.0 out of 5 stars Robin Jarvis has a unlimeted imagination., 23 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
Robin Jarvis makes his characters come alive in this tale of the animals of Hagwood forest. He weaves a story of fantasy and lies,in a happy world of interchangable creatures. But their happiness is soon shattered,after they discover a plot that could turn their lives upside down. At the end of the book Jarvis leaves the creatures in the heat of the battle. So you have to read the oncoming book, Dark Waters of Hagwood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew what a page turner!, 27 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
I thought this book was absolutely fantastic - but I can't believe it's aimed at kids! Maybe I'm just a squeamish grown-up, but I thought some bits were just graphically yeuch - although this does add to realism, if you can get such a thing in a fantasy book. I've noted other people's comments about the slow start, but I thought this was an exquisitely sad and shocking way into a story.
Jarvis creates an intriguing and compelling world, and I would love to read the sequel. However, I was a bit fed up at the end that this was written in such a blatant "part of a trilogy or similar" way.
In addition, having picked up a Deptford Mice novel after reading this one, I was alarmed at the similarities of structure and character...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant but it was okay..., 18 Aug 2006
Amy (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
When I first picked up this book I didn't really know what to expect. When I actually read it I thought that the plot was fairly good, and there was depth to the characters. But I think that the story was quite over-written (like when you write a story for an English lesson, and you end up trying too hard) and the story didn't grip me like 'The Hobbit' or the 'Harry Potter' series.

Overall I believe Robin Jarvis had a good story-line, but the prose could have been better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robin Jarvis never fails to enthrall. Another masterpiece., 27 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I have just finished reding this book which I found totally compulsive. It is totally frustrating to have to wait for the next two installments. The reader is totally transported into the various sections of the wood and can envisage it in minute detail with sights, sounds and even smells at some points.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, to be honest!, 4 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
Although this book began with a boring start it is another typical of Robin Jarvis. Filled with suspence, emotion and action . the only surprising thing about it is the fact that this is the first time Mr Jarvis has used pure fantasy. (Maybe that ugly hologram on the cover was unnecessary!)

5.0 out of 5 stars An adventure fantasy which grips you from the first page., 13 April 2000
By A Customer
The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood is a great book that actually transports the reader to the mystical depths of Hagwood. A stunning read. I cant wait until the next thrilling instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 7 Mar 2000
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by a fellow fan of Harry Potter novels so I decided to give it a try. It is about a race of forgotton creatures living in their peaceful forest but that is about to change.The book gets really exciting and you have to read on and on. The characters are stong and even in one book you really can get to know them. It has some asumsing new ideas, particulary the talents of the creatures I would recommend this book to other adult fans of books of this kind, even though it is meant for children, not as brilliant as the Harry Potter stories so far, but well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to Robin Jarvis' work, 2 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
Jarvis seems to have changed publisher, and as a result the cover of this book is a little different, most notably a little 3D Werling at the top. But don't be fooled by the exterior; inside the cover is the beginning of what promises to be a stunning trilogy. Right from the chilling start this book is fantastic; the art of Wergling is described in stunning detail and the classic elements of horror are still there - Frighty Aggie is merely one of the less pleasant characters in the book. A fantastic book!

4.0 out of 5 stars This amazing exciting book reveals people's true characters., 27 Dec 1999
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
This book is amazing. I love it. It really takes you into the world of Hagwood, and when I came to Frighty Aggie's tree I was so excited: what was going to happen?! It is a good book showing you about people: for instance, Master Gibble seems a learned old tutor that loves to teach the Werling boys and girls but then when he is about to be eaten, his true character is shown.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner - as exiting as Harry Potter, 29 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) (Paperback)
I got this book for my Birthday - just looking at the cover made me want to read it, and I've not put it down yet!
I find the characters very interesting, and could not wait to find out what Finnen's secret was, and what he had in his Wergle Pouch.
Now I'm waiting for book two in this brilliant three part series.

The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books)
The Thorn Ogres of Hagwood (The Hagwood Books) by Robin Jarvis (Paperback - 7 Oct 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01