5.0 out of 5 stars Very witty graphical interpretation of Sterne's classic.
The fragmentary structure of _TS_ is ideally suited to Rowson's comic-book reinterpretation. This accomplished editorial cartoonist pokes fun at 'heritage' illustration and costume drama, instead matching Sterne's words with his lively images and contemporary, knowing commentary. Though he shows an affectionate regard for the original, Rowson is not afraid to bring to...
Published on 12 Jun 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Hard Work (But Very Funny Too)
Probably the funniest book ever written in the English language this is also one of the most difficult books to read that I have ever come across - I had real trouble taking in more than a dozen pages at a time.

It's taken me weeks and weeks to get to the end of this book, partly because it demands of the reader a knowledge of Greek and Latin texts, 18th...
Published on 31 Oct 2012 by Brownbear101

1.0 out of 5 stars The book's great, this edition isn't!, 17 May 2008
Mr. Robert J. Berry (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Giving Tristram Shandy a 1-star review makes me shudder, but I feel it's imperative that everyone knows this edition comes without -any- notes. If you're widely read and know a bit about the period this might not be a huge problem, but even then you're probably going to miss a lot with Sterne, who is a very allusive writer. I recommend getting another edition, most will come with notes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost on me, 2 Sep 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I know that people consider Tristram Shandy an outstanding novel in the pantheon of classics, and that it is thought to be very funny and witty indeed. I am afraid though, that despite all this, it really isn't for me. I like my books to have a purpose. I may be rather old fashioned, but a bit of narrative thread never did anyone any harm. I understand that the whole book is riddling and a joke in its entirety and how intellectually amusing it must be, but it really did nothing for me at all. Sterne spends 450 precious pages going absolutely nowhere at all with his meandering tales and stop start narration. There is no real point to the book except to be entertained, and unless you find the premise of the book hilarious, which I didn't, and the contents of the book hilarious, which I didn't, then it is a fairly futile exercise. There are, admittedly, a few sections of the book where I found myself being mildly amused, but having read this and many other 18th Century novels, with the same lack of appreciation I think I am clearly more a 19th Century kind of girl when it comes to my fiction and I prefer to leave the exercise of classical wit to other people

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest of comic novels, 14 Mar 2008
William Podmore (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Dr Johnson famously said of this book, "Nothing odd will do long - Tristram Shandy did not last." Well, even the good doctor could err. The book has lasted, to the delight of generations of readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec 2014
Just as described, speedy delivery

2.0 out of 5 stars Getting into this book is like trying to get up at 5, 17 Oct 2014
Getting into this book is like trying to get up at 5.30am on a bitterly cold and inhospitable morning. A morning when, for some inexplicable reason, the central heating failed during the sub-zero night - a misfortune that results in there being a light frost on the duvet. Added to this, the normally reliable radio station that jumps to life at said 5.30am - doubling, as it does, as an alarm - has a surprise guest presenter who speaks English backwards - and seemingly upside down, if that is possible.
This may well be a very good book but the language and procrastination has defeated me in my three attempts to read it. The successful reader will have to have the patience of an ox and an embarrassing amount of time on their hands to get through Tristram Shandy.
I have given two stars as just one would be harsh having not really got going with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Oct 2014
Excellent book.

3.0 out of 5 stars take this to read in your coffin -- you need the time, 24 July 2014
as we were extras in the film, a must buy, but this book takes a lot of following.... a sharp knifed edit to a third length would help enourmously for 21st century readers. I gave up after 75 pages !!!! classic ?? Classic waffle !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Present, 14 Mar 2013
I can't really rate the content, as it was a present. The person I bought it for loved the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept reading but never got to the beginning, 8 Jan 2013
It's a shame that the author never got round to actually starting this book. I think it would have been helpful to the reader to insert an introductory timeline or perhaps an appendix explaining what actually happened, if anything. I continued through the book expecting some salacious 18th-century debauchery, but by the end the story was further away from starting than it was at the beginning. Every chapter leads further away from getting to the point of whatever the book was supposed to be about in the first place, and some of the actual chapters themselves don't even get started, but end up being about something completely different. In fact, the whole of the book should really have been cut out by the editor for being irrelevant to what it was about.

4.0 out of 5 stars about this purchase that i made, 20 Aug 2013
I cannot say much as i made this on behalf of a friend but she did not say anything , so I dont know if she is pleased or notu

Tristram Shandy (Penguin English Library)
Tristram Shandy (Penguin English Library) by Laurence Sterne (Paperback - 25 Oct 2012)