5.0 out of 5 stars the book to discover Marias
It was the first Marias' book I read....and after that he became one of the top writers in my own list... Plus he brought me back and made reread Shakespeare.... as the book gave me a key to unlock some hidden secret in Shakespeare's works....
Published 7 months ago by AnG

3.0 out of 5 stars A scholar's book
This is an excellent novel but you have to work at it. I don't usually like my books so introspective, and Marias' style which involves repetition of words and phrases can strike a discordant note, but it is a gripping story.
Published 16 months ago by Tartanreader

3.0 out of 5 stars A scholar's book, 22 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars the book to discover Marias, 25 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: A Heart so White (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I am new to this author but now a big fan. Unexpectedly vibrant and thought-provoking in equal measure. if you haven't read him yet waste no more time.

2.0 out of 5 stars its a Macbeth quote, so???, 9 Nov 2013
Ruth Coppard - See all my reviews
I found it such hard work that I gave up....incredibly long, multi-clause sentences that lost me. I realise this is me rather than the author but I felt totally uninvolved on every level. pity

2.0 out of 5 stars Cumbersome and annoying, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: A Heart so White (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I found the style impenetrable and thebtrope of long, self-contradictory sentences wearing and difficult to cut through. Gave up on the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern masterpiece, 23 July 2013
I am not sure I understood all of it, but I've never read a book before which reads in the same way that we think- not in worked out, brilliant sentences, but in long convoluted phrases, observations, repetitions, re-workings.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books of the last century, 11 Nov 2012
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Heart so White (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
A Heart So White is exceptional. I read it a while ago, so the fine details do not stick with me, but I recall a powerful book, sensitively written, with immense intelligence and lovingly crafted sentences (well done to the translator!) I remember sympathetic, flawed characters, tragedy wrought excellently. It builds wonderfully, slowly, and is not a quick read: that's not to say it is difficult to ingest, it just requires patience. I remember that it has a great shock at the end. I remember that I enjoyed it immensely, found it rewarding, and recommend it to people ages after I read it. If you have a reading list, this should go on it. A major world writer.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not waste your time or money, 24 Sep 2013
Wordy for the sakeof being clever, perhaps the translators fault but the rhythm and pace of thi novel really nnoyed me for not much of a plot line and extensive boringly intricit character development that like the posing assoiated with the word choices, eemed affected, a d without any fire in the belly! I would never reccommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, boring, tedious, 18 Dec 2012
Ransen Owen (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Heart so White (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
The start is promising, interesting, but by page 38 (that is the page I imagine, think, I reached before being overcome by boredom, the tedium of his apparently (but not actually) infinitely long sentences) I realized that the whole book, novel, story (if it could be called that, so slow is the pace) if it was going anywhere was going to that place (if any) at a snail's pace.

Three pages to say if you do one thing then that sometimes blocks the possibility of doing something else. Banal philosophy apparently strung out to increase the word count.

And he corrects himself halfway through a sentence, which makes the sentence twice as long and doubly irritating.

Awful. Don't be tricked by the critics, who fool themselves (or maybe not, maybe they know it is part of the game they are in) and others (they fooled me into buying this, but now, dear reader, you know the truth and will not waste your money (or maybe you will thinking that THIS critic must be wrong, thinking the sentences of this book cannot be so long and irritating (I assure you they are))).

5.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 20 Dec 2012
J. Crook - See all my reviews
Bought this because I heard it praised on BBC. I found it absolute rubbish.v v v v v v v

A Heart so White (Penguin Modern Classics)
A Heart so White (Penguin Modern Classics) by Javier Marķas (Paperback - 2 Aug 2012)