5.0 out of 5 stars One of Austen's best in my opinion
I'm completely shocked that many people regard 'Northanger Abbey' as the worst of Austen's books as I believe it is beautifully written and very easy to read. The characters are wonderful especially Catherine and Henry, and General Tilney is someone you love to hate. Now after seeing the recent ITV adaptation, my love for the book has been re-newed and I really want to...
Published on 8 April 2007 by J. SCARROTT

3.0 out of 5 stars Is Northanger Abbey a dark, old house mystery...?
In a search for Gothic mysteries of dark, old houses....I found myself acquiring a copy of Jane Austen's NORTHANGER ABBEY... Here are my reading notes:

This weekend I started reading my first Austen novel...............her Gothic novel....

Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey was written when Austen was age 24...her first novel although it was not...
Published 16 months ago by janebbooks

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
Many years since I read this.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, 2 Aug 2014
Arrived on time, nice book

4.0 out of 5 stars Gothic romance, 24 May 2005
I bought a jane Austen collection and Northanger abbey was the second to last story i read.
I found the beginning of the story difficult to get into, it did not start the way that any other Austen novel did. Once i had read the first 3 pages several times i finally moved on and began to really enjoy this book.
This novel records Catherine Morlands comming into society. This tale is one of romance, though told through the romantic fantisisms of a young girl, effected by the novels, that she clings to, believing them to be reality.
Although this novel is not on parr with other Austen novels, it has an amazing quaint feel to it and will keep any die-hard Austen or indeed period classic novel reader satisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work, 22 April 2014
rjw27 (Weymouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found the first half of the book tedious. It picked up a bit once they reached Northanger Abbey but it isn't her finest writing and the characters are not as well drawn. I found myself not caring much about any of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars decent and entertaining, 10 Jun 2013
nice book to read, sometimes funny, gives you insight in the life and loving of people in the beginning of the 19th century

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 4 Jan 2013
Janet (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Kindle Edition)
Of all her books this is the worst. I found it too full of description and reflection and very short on storyline. I didn't enjoy it as much as her other books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Story, 3 July 2012
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Kindle Edition)
A well written story from Jane Austen which is well worth a read. It is very much of the Pride and Prejudice type providing an insight into the lives of well to do young women and their families in the late 18th Century with a high level of descriptive content.

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty parody of the Gothic, 3 Feb 2010
Rachel (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This took longer for me to read than I expected due to the fact that I got a bit bored halfway through the novel. As the editor of my edition comments in the introduction, it is possible that the sections set in the Abbey, where Catherine allows her imagination to get the better of herself, may have been added to the novel at a later date in order to give the book a more "Gothic" feel. Indeed, I felt that this section was a bit odd and sudden, not to mention abruptly dealt with. I did enjoy Austen's witty remarks about Gothic novels and her attempts to make 'Northanger Abbey' and its characters as unpredictable as possible, but the middle part did bore me a bit. I would much rather have read about the developments in the relationships between Catherine and Henry and Eleanor, as well as Isabella and James. I did enjoy the story, even though I found it a bit over-wordy in places and sometimes got annoyed at Catherine's immaturity. I would like to read some of Austen's later work to see how it compares to this, which apparently is one of her earliest pieces. As 'Northanger Abbey' was never published in Austen's lifetime, it has been mused (again, by the very informative editor of my 1985 Penguin edition) that she hadn't finished revising it before her death, and this may be the reason for some sections being a bit disjointed. From the reviews that I've read it has become clear that you have to understand Austen's wit and have a vague knowledge of Gothic in order to understand some of the comparisons made in the novel. Even though I wouldn't class this as one of my favourite classics, I did find her portrayal of Catherine as the complete anti-heroine to be very entertaining!

2.0 out of 5 stars Endnotes., 1 Mar 2009
I have only read the first few pages of this edition, and I wish I'd spent more money. The numbered end-notes are a distraction, even if you don't turn to the end of the book each time.
The Illustrations are terrible and do nothing for the novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 Aug 2014
Christopher M. Wells "Pen-y-gent" (Ripon North Yorks UK) - See all my reviews
its fine

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Northanger Abbey (Clothbound Classics)
Northanger Abbey (Clothbound Classics) by Jane Austen (Hardcover - 3 Nov 2011)
10.49