Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 April 2012
This book, written before Le Carre was well known, introduces Smiley in a non-espionage guise. It has the style and tension for which he is famous and is a good read but not his best (try "A Call for the Dead", another early novel).
on 13 January 2010
My husband passed this book on to me, having borrowed it from our local library. I found it charming, very readable, and enjoyable. You have to take into account the fact that the novel was first published way back in 1962, and is eons away from today's detective novels. Yes, the plot is a bit thin, but John Le Carre is such a brilliant wordsmith, the descriptions of the characters are so wonderful, you can easily overlook that fact. Set in a public school, it brings to the fore the class system as it was in the fifties and sixties, and shows how far we have come in forty odd years. Give it a go - it's not your normal Le Carre espionage novel, but worth a look.
on 21 June 2015
The setting of the story in a cloistered public school made it less enjoyable for me. The characters were less interesting than most Smiley novels but the story was well crafted as usual.
on 27 October 2013
Unfortunately, I've done what many people do and read the later, more famous George Smiley novels first. Consequently this tends to lack their depth and quality. Still a good read.
on 7 March 2016
The story is interesting, a whodunnit, not what I was expecting :-)

Whilst I really enjoyed the story, almost the star of the show is the new afterward, it's great. :)
on 28 June 2012
This is a decent little crime novel unlike the usual Le Carre and more like Agatha Christie but with a better vocabulary. Certainly a good read on wet night with nothing to do.
on 29 March 2013
I enjoyed the book but more for the insight it gives to the culture and circumstances of the 1950's than the storyline which was weaker than other, later, le Carre works.
on 26 July 2014
Great fan of George Smiley,hooked since the t.v.showed Tinker Taylor & Smileys people all those years ago.I propose to go through all of John le Carre books eventually
on 18 April 2014
No words can express the brilliance of le Carre. Right from this first one to the last. Have read them all and am now doing so again bit by bit. Sheer pleasure!
on 20 November 2013
I had not realised that this was one of his very early books. Found it not really very interesting
and couldn't feel any sympathy with the characters.