on 17 February 2012
Scott Fitzgerald was in a league of his own and his literary expertise excels in this collection of short stories. His use of prose is intoxicatingly beautiful , he paints with his words canvasses of unrivalled eloquence. Every story in this book is a standout for one reason or another , unmistakenly Fitzgerald with all the hallmarks that made him a genius. Fitzgerald spawned a generation of great writers with his work , many of his stories were precursors to the hard boiled and noir genre but with softer edges and softer prose. There are paragraphs in the Great Gatsby that are considered to be the pinnacle in the history of American literature and there are glimpses of that to be found in this superb collection of his short stories.
on 2 January 2014
I won't review Fitzgerald's writing, because I've no doubt that he will maintain his usual standard of spine-chilling poignancy -- but rather, the edition itself.
I would recommend this whole-heatedly; it is a beautiful book, and even has a bookmark on the back flap to tear out and use if you so wish. It is so delicately arranged into a more concise and chronological order, and displays Fitzgerald's writing in a truly monumental way. Whether you give this as a gift or a treat for yourself, this is truly no waste of money, whether you're a scholar or just someone trying to look into his works.
If you’ve read ‘Gatsby’ then you already know what a wonderful writer Fitzgerald is. Here we have 640 pages of short stories – they cover 45 tales and the page range is from 40 per tale, to as little as 6 pages per tale. The book is presently beautifully and is not expensive to buy. I have the hard back version.
The book and stories are split into three time frames, from several of his books, which includes both novellas and most of his short stories. The time frames are: 1920 - 1922, 1926 – 1935 and 1937 – 1940, so between the wars if you like, covering such historical events as:
The Jazz Age
The Industrial Revolution &
The Great Depression
I have read four of the longer stories thus far - all immensely interesting and perfectly put together. It remains on my coffee table to pick up a will. It is just perfect if you have an hour to kill and don’t want to waste it! A perfect book should you like to read for an hour or so before nodding off to get your beauty sleep. I am going to enjoy this book for a long while yet.
First published in theearly 1920's, this is a collection of eight short stories. I'm nota huge fan of either the author or the genre, but I found each tale interesting, for different reasons. I like the title; two strong and diametrically opposed 'concepts'. I also admire the way Fitzgerald writes such strong female characters. In many ways, it's difficult to believe these stories are pushing 100 years old. Whilst some of the attitudes are outmoded, the sense of vibrancy and life I each one is very contemporary. I enjoyed them far more than I thought I might and it's interesting to see this early work in the wider context of his later acclaimed novels. A couple of these stories have the feel of the rough workings for a longer novel...who knows.
on 29 August 2013
F. Scott Fitzgerald is legendary and his prose is wonderful- teeming with an aesthetic resonance that cannot be challenged by other writers. This extensive collection includes The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I was surprised to see how much the film diverged from the original story. He brings alive the 1920s in his writing.

This edition is SO beautiful. It feels so glamarous in my palm and looks wonderful on my bookshelf. If you're a fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald, I cannot recommend this enough!
on 17 April 2015
I have begun to collect these art deco style F.Scott Fitzgerald editions as they are very beautiful. The black on the cover of the book is black whereas the gold is very shimmery. The inside of the book it perfectly legible and the paper is very good quality. All together a great book.

As previously mentioned there are multiple styles in this collection so definitely give the others a look.
on 17 August 2014
Beautifully designed book cover, a wonderful collection of stories and quick delivery. However, I was disheartened to learn that Head and Shoulders had been left out of the final collection as it directly relates to the title of the collection with a story in which a flapper meets a philosopher.
on 6 February 2013
This book was beautifully presented. The cover design reflects the period covered by the stories... As one who enjoys the whole book experience ie looking through it, holding it, turning the pages, it is a pleasure to have as a possession. Of course it will also be very enjoyable to read.
on 6 June 2012
As another review mentioned there are some rather odd spelling mistakes, however unlike the other reviewer I did not find them as hampering.
on 9 April 2012
I love this book, and Fitzgerald is an amazing writer. However, this Kindle book has so many spelling mistakes that I found it very hard to read. I even had to guess what the author originally meant to write in some instances. I couldn't finish it, which is a shame. I really wish the publishers would check the books before they make them available.
I would give the story, and Fitzgerald, 5 stars. If you want to read this book, get a different version.