5.0 out of 5 stars "How I Came to Know Fish", 23 Jun 2010
This review is from: How I Came to Know Fish (Penguin Translated Texts) (Paperback)
"How I Came To Know Fish" flickers with memory as Ota Pavel remembers his boyhood and youth, spent fishing in and around the countryside just outside of Prague - before and during the second world war- a time when Czechoslovakia was annexed by the Germans. The overlapping stories he tells have a lyrical cadence and rhythm bordering at times on the magical in their powers of description. At the same time darker undercurrents tug at the tales of high jinx and adventure, especially those of his beloved father, who as a Jew, is persecuted by the Germans, and who, for example, has to secretly fish out his beloved carp whilst the Wehrmact sleep. There is a sense of loss, and change, which takes on a greater poignance, after one reads the author's epilogue, where in he tells us how the book came into being in the first place. "How I Came to Know Fish" is a gentle, understated book, that made me laugh and feel sad almost at the same time, life affirming in the author's love of his father, fishing and of nature and left me wishing I could read more - a slender book with deeper currents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived in time and in good condition Contenwise a five stars, 28 Jun 2014
Arrived in time and in good condition

Contenwise a five stars. A charming, very moving story, apparently simple, but with dark under tones i stays with the reader.

How I Came to Know Fish (Penguin Translated Texts)
How I Came to Know Fish (Penguin Translated Texts) by Ota Pavel (Paperback - 6 May 2010)