5.0 out of 5 stars All Of Alice
People tend to lump "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-Glass (and What Alice Found There)" into one collection which has taken on the new title of "Alice in Wonderland". This is probably a product of the movies, which took bits and pieces from each and made a composite adventure. This was possible, because Lewis Carroll (a.k.a. Reverend Charles...
Published on 28 July 2009 by Dave_42

3.0 out of 5 stars Signet Classic - Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass
This edition is a good bargain at under 3; it includes the original Tenniel illustrations which give a great feel for the truly bizarre nature of Alice's journey. However, I have a few problems with its blurb, which for a start describes Alice as following a "hasty hare" underground, and spells "imaginitive", well, imaginatively. The essay by Martin Gardner is an okay...
Published on 4 Aug 2010 by Kate

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic!, 7 Oct 2000
Having seen the video many times, I didn't dee the point in reading it. But having been convinced, once I had started I couldn't put it down! The characters seem so real, and are seen in a different light than in the video, it seemed like a whole new story.
A must read for adults and children alike, who have seen the film before, or not.
I rate it 11/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice edition of the Alice tale., 12 Dec 2009
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 0:54 Mins

Pardon my dire video skills - but I thought a video was the best way to give you an idea of the quality of this book and the quantity of its illustrations.

Please note that this review refers to the hardback WITH slipcase edition of this book Alice In Wonderland: Templar Collectors Classics slipcase edition (Templar's Collectors Classics Series) (occasionally reviews on Amazon muddle different editions of the same book)

Readers of a certain age will be familiar with the artwork of Rodney Matthews, perhaps from LP covers (remember LP's?!) or the covers of fantasy novels. Now you can enjoy his unique take on the Wonderland story. The quantity of illustrations is more or less on a par with most other illustrated ALICEs, and includes a number of full colour double-page spreads.

I collect illustrated versions of the Alice stories, and this is one I'm very happy to have in my collection.

It's a high-quality hardback (in an equally high-quality slipcase - complete with two glass 'jewels' on the front!), and printed on very nice paper.

I definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 4 Nov 2013
There is so much depth in this book(s); written with a child in mind, loved by children and adults alike. It is so well written. A true classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars An Awful Miss, 26 Dec 2012
I have just purchased the Kindle edition and promptly rejected it.
This is NOT the complete text, but a badly expurgated edition.
In addition, an illustration from the 1st story appears in the second.

I am waiting for a COMPLETE Kindle version, preferably The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition, edited by Martin Gardner, which will include the original text and illustrations, as well as the missing chapter of Through the Looking Glass, called the Wasp in a Wig, which take place shortly before Alice becomes queen. I have the hardback edition and it would make an excellent reference book to travel with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad and Wonderful!, 15 Jun 2012
Stuart Ayris (Tollesbury, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Alice in Wonderland was first published in 1865, a year that saw Charles Dickens survive the Staplehurst rail crash and the foundation of The Christian Mission (later to become the Salvation Army). At the other end of the scale, neither being saved nor salvaged, were the 400 rebels who were executed following an unsuccessful uprising against British rule in Morant Bay, Jamaica. Across the Atlantic Ocean the American Civil War was drawing to a close. Three days after the publication of Alice In Wonderland, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated and just before the end of the year, the Klu Klux Klan were formed.

Strange times. Harsh times. If ever there was a time for an escape into 'Wonderland' then certainly 1865 was as good a time as any.

The first thing I will say is that I am amazed this book has stood the test of time. It is wonderful that it has done, but amazing all the same. Not because it's not good, but purely because it is almost entirely insane! At the height of Victorian stoicism and the dour industrialisation of England, Reverand Charles Dodgson decided to write, under the pseudonum Lewis Caroll, a short novel where the main characters are a talking rabbit, a vanishing cat, a deck of playing cards and a depressed turtle - not to mention a smoking catterpillar and a lizard called Bill. Oh and then there is a tea party that never ends because it is always six o'clock, a game of croquet played with flamingoes for sticks, hedgehogs for balls and soldiers for hoops. And the Caucus Race, well...

Although this novel was written by the author for the young daughter of a friend, there is no doubting that it is also for adults. Some of the conversations, particularly involving the Mock Turtle have the same madness about them as do Yossarian's conversations with Clevinger in Catch-22. The puns are superb and the situations entirely Pythonesque. The Mighty Boosh would be a lot less mighty were it not for Alice In Wonderland and you have to wonder at the influence on the likes of Terry Pratchett and Tim Burton. And all done without drugs!

But for all the madness there is at its heart a paen to the loss of childhood innocence. The last couple of pages of the novel are almost heartbreaking in their poignancy as Alice's elder sister looks down upon her whilst she sleeps so sweetly. She is almost willing her not to cross that threshold into adolescence and then onto adulthood - a land with more war than wonder.

Alice sums it all up when she says:

I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!

Has there ever been a better definition of adolescence than that?

Just as one of the characters in Wilkie Collins' Woman in White continually refers to Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe for the answers to life's predicaments so I think I will always keep Alice in Wonderland handy. For these are Strange times. Harsh times. If ever there was a time for an escape into 'Wonderland' then certainly 2012 is as good a time as any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition reviewed, 10 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
As with many classic texts there is a wealth of different editions of Alice available but of the ones for Kindle I looked at samples of this seemed to be the best in this price bracket. It is well laid out (including good formatting for the poems) and navigable to each chapter of both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. It has a brief biographical introduction and is concluded by a bibliography. It is tempting to describe the edition as a simple 'no frills' edition but it is added to by the inclusion, as chapter headings, of some of Tenniel's original illustrations. When we picture Alice or the White Rabbit or the Mad Hatter or Humpty Dumpty in our minds it is usually Tenniel's pictures that we have so the inclusion of some of them here is a definite bonus. Kindle cannot come near producing illustrations as well as 'proper' books but as Tenniel's pictures are line illustrations they work quite well. Just simply a good copy of a classic text to add to your personal Kindle library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must of English culture, 10 Oct 2009
Mrs. Marie E. W. Ebbesen (Ibiza, Spain) - See all my reviews
I was delighted that it had the original drawings by Tenniel---very important. I bought it for my grown-up grandchildren who to my dismay had never read it, and explained to them that it was important as they would hear quotes of it in speeches or articles and even in Parliament. Curiouser and curiouser, certain aspects even relate to what we are learning about space, time and the universe today, such as the Red Queen and Alice running as fast as they could and yet are still in the same place!!! But then Lewis Carroll was a mathematician, as well as a writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars '"I've a right to think", said Alice sharply...', 7 Aug 2009
...Being a review of the hardback edition of 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

What makes 'Alice's Adventures In Wonderland' such a pleasing and permanent feature of English literature? The language is witty and efficient. The illustrations (here rendered by Mervyn Peake rather than John Tenniel) are expressive and by now depict legendary characters - the Queen of Hearts, the Mock Turtle and the Mad Hatter among plenty of others.

But there is also something about this lyrical little tale that exceeds these elements. Appropriately enough (Lewis Carroll was a Professor of Mathematics), much of the magic turns on plays of logic and dances on that fine line between complicated sense and non-sense. The inhabitants of Wonderland pose Alice (and us) with riddles which hint at the ridiculousness of the world that we've got. It may be a cliche to suggest that children are more open to those kinds of challenges then their more settled and resistant elders. But there might just be something to that too...

Alice herself is a compelling figure - pugnacious, precocious and adventurous. Through her, we are treated to a surrealist manifesto stuffed with the kind of themes that plague more self-consciously 'serious' literature - show trials, unchecked authority and cruelty to children.

Strongly recommended, for old as much as for young minds. Especially in this lovely edition, with its lovely thick paper and comforting weight. Will Self argues in his loving introduction that every great children's book can be reduced to the power of a single word, and that in this case that word is 'curious'. That aphorism smacks strongly of truth. Alice is curious, which is how she gets sucked into this adventure, but this little gem is curious too, and remains hugely preferable to any contemporary 'children's' story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths in Alice in Wonderland, 28 April 2009
Apart from being a beautifully written children's story book it is also an intellectual book very cleverly put together.You can take from it whatever your imagination perceives.
As a primary school teacher it is one of my most important resources for mathematics and a treasured possession.
I use extracts from the book to teach number work throughout the whole of the two key stages. Mostly, I use it as an introduction to concepts and operations of number.In KS1 The cheshire cat delights children when I draw it on the board and use it in subtraction to show it "vanished quite slowly to the grin." This leads to investigative activities on subtraction and 'difference' and children are motivated to achieve the grin!
At KS2 fun can be had determining whether an operation has commutative properties by introducing the dormouse at the mad hatter's tea party and reciting his ideas of what is the same and what is not. "I breathe when I sleep" and "I sleep when I breathe." These little quotes lead to discussion about links with the four operations of number and children are very imaginative with their own ideas.
I could go on with all the other subtle links with mathematics and the funny distortions of the operations. "the different branches of arithmetic are,ambition,distraction,uglification and derision."
You can have fun finding out how many times the number two appears in the book and link all the stretching and reducing to different areas of maths and find out how lessons can lessen!
The whole purpose of the book was to entertain children and incite adults to look for the subtleties in the book. It is riddled with mathematical inferences. It's really quite brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy edition of a fantastic book, 19 Feb 2008
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I loved this book as a child. I had the edition with the Tenniel drawings, which I loved, but which when I look at them now seem a little surreal. I tried to read Alice to my daughters in that version but they weren't impressed. They did however, love this version with its clear, modern drawings which still seem to encapsulate the magic of the text.

My only grumble is that this is a fairly large format book which is quite heavy, and my four year old has difficulty managing it when she wants to 'read' it for herself. Otherwise the words are clear, the illustrations are beautiful, and there are lots of them, and the quality of the book is wonderful. Something that you want to treasure and keep for your children's children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (Clothbound Classics)
10.49