5.0 out of 5 stars Skilled Fantasy Adventure about Human Greed
Published on 26 May 2004 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Treasure Island
honestly I can not remember what happened so I have rated it an "it's okay" because I can not remember what happened.
Published 5 months ago by Brian Denning

5.0 out of 5 stars Skilled Fantasy Adventure about Human Greed, 26 May 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Treasure Island is one of a small number of books that are both for children and adults. The appeal of the book for children relates to the story line: pirates, buried treasure, sea voyages to faraway places, and a boy hero. The appeal of the book for adults is in seeing a wonderful example of how events operate at many different levels. Long John Silver quickly becomes the focus for adults. What is his true nature? What will he do next? Clearly, Silver is one of the most interesting and memorable of all fictional characters.
A problem that children will have with this book is that the language is somewhat foreign to them. Some adults and children will find that the book starts slowly compared to newer novels (which often have the equivalent of a chase sequence in the first 5 pages).
My advice is to stick with the story for the first 6 chapters, and see how you are doing. By that time, the story will either have cast its spell on you, or you will be able to tell that this book is not for you.
A final reason for reading Treasure Island is because the book has been read by so many people. You will find references to the story in other literature and in conversation with others. You will also run into establishments called The Admiral Benbow Inn. It would be a shame not ot know its heritage. Also, finding someone else who likes Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver for the same reasons you do is a great shortcut to becoming better acquainted.
Personally, I found the story irresistible. I would have written a very similar book if I had the skill to do so. The plot is nicely balanced, and the characters provide an unusual perspective for what could easily have been a real potboiler with little to recommend it. The book has great charm, given its focus on pirates, which makes it compelling for me. I have now read the book 3 times, and enjoyed it more each time.
Have a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Treasure Island (Kindle Edition)
If you want a story that really doesn't stop from start to finish then this is it. I hadn't read it since I was a you boy although I've seen it often enough with Robert Newton as Silver. It was a revelation. The story is crisp and gallops along; scarcely a line is wasted and the descriptions are vivid. The attack by Hands must surely trouble youngsters but hey, isn't that what books like this should do? Good triumphs over evil, but even evil can be softened and allowed a break. Highly recommended.
THe Kindle edition is faultless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lavish edition of a classic tale, 7 Aug 2008
LXIX (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Treasure Island (Hardcover)
I won a copy of Treasure Island while at primary school so I've always felt an affinity with this book.

In this edition, the artwork is absolutely outstanding so you're getting two for the price of one here - brilliant illustrations and a classic tale.

Treasure Island is a children's story that has stood the test of time, and deservedly so. This fine hardback edition is the best version of the book that I've ever come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 28 Dec 2006
Elsbeth (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treasure Island (Hardcover)
I bought this as a present for my 8 year old and he hasn't put it down. It is a superb large hardback with lovely illustrations and a good size of print. Would make a wonderful present for any child between the ages of 7-12 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifelong friend, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: Treasure Island (Hardcover)
My first ever copy of 'Treasure Island' was a prize won for being 'most improved pupil' of my year - 45 years ago. Since then, this classic adventure has been a life long friend in one form or another. In it's last reincarnation on my bookcase it was bound in dark blue with golden title but was looking decidely the worse for wear. So I bought this volume as a Christmas present to myself and I was not disappointed. The beautiful and evocative illustrations added substantially to my enjoyment of a joyfully familiar tale.
Heartily recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars a timeless masterpiece, 3 Feb 2001
This book is the axis around ehich all other pirate stories must rotate. A tale of high adventure, vicious skullduggery and exuberant swashbuckling on the high seas. It has so embedded itself into the English language and popular imagination that no-one can read it, even for the first time, without a fond wave of nostalgia passing over them. 'Shiver me timbers!' 'Pieces of eight!' 'Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!' What more needs to be said? Entertainment of the highest order.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest pirate stories of all time, 22 Jun 2005
Kara Ortiez (Hamilton, Canada) - See all my reviews
Treasure Island is arguably one of the greatest works of storytelling in the English language. Stevenson created other novels, with greater depth and insight, but the highlight of Treasure Island is the combination of color and poetic prose that distinguishes his tale of piracy and boyhood adventure from the rest of the field of other adventure books. The title alone paints an image of suspense, and salty pirates battling over great riches. Most people tend to view Treasure Island as a story for children, but it can be enjoyed by anyone longing for a rollicking adventure. Like so many stories from the 1800s, each chapter ends with a cliffhanger, and once you get used to the language the author's humor shines through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 July 2009
Mr. Giles Paul Hodgson "GilesH" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treasure Island (Hardcover)
I'm re-reading 'Treasure island' for the first time since I was 9 years old. Now I'm 30, and this edition is right up there in my list of favourite books. This edition is a very exciting book to pick up and read, with great art work which captures the narrative like no other. Originally I bought this for my friend's 7th birthday, but it seemed a bit challenging as the text can be quite archaic, so it made its way back to my shelf. The 7 year old can have a go with Asterix for a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yo Ho Ho, 19 May 2009
There are certain books that are so deeply embedded in our history and culture that you somehow feel you have read them even if you have not. Treasure Island is one such book. I remember as a child watching the film version at Christmas and being so terrified by both Long John Silver and, perhaps oddly, by Ben Gunn, that I almost couldn't watch. At the same time I was unsurprisingly very enamoured of brave young Jim the boy hero with whom I of course felt I could identify.

So it was with this legacy that I picked the book up some thirty years later to finally actually read it. Two things in particular surprised me in the opening chapters, firstly I had no idea how wonderfully gothic the start of the book is. The creaking Admiral Benbow Inn provides a suitably sinister backdrop for the macabre triumvirate of Captain Bill, Black Dog and best of all Blind Pew, as they `graah' and `aaahh' their way into the story. All are much larger than life but no worse for it and are clearly templates, along with Long John Silver, for many, many fictional `gentleman of fortune' who have graced page and screen since, not least Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow. Secondly I was surprised by the protagonist and narrator Jim. He is a genuinely independent boy hero with more than his fair share of wilfulness and impetuosity mixed in with the predictable obedience and piety. As the story unfolds, his apparent determination to do whatever he wants seems to grow to the point where he is in danger of becoming rather irritating. Twice he recklessly abandons his friends but on both occasions his absconding proves eventually, to his and his friends' advantage. A hero indeed with the sort of youthful exuberance and stubbornness with which every child can relate.

In the final analysis Treasure Island is not much more than a very finely written adventure story but then neither does it pretend to be. Stevenson does not seem to have had much interest in moralising or edifying and he certainly was not out to offer unique insights into the human condition, indeed the characters of Dr Livesey and Squire Trelawney are two-dimensional at best. Simply it is thoroughly enjoyable and engaging throughout, by turns extremely funny and genuinely frightening. A beautifully paced, carefully plotted example of nineteenth century children's adventure literature at its very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart as paint, 9 Sep 2006
J.R.Hartley (NW England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I first read Treasure Island when I was about 9 or 10 and although it was a fairly challenging read for a child whose literary excursions up to then had largely been confined to The Famous Five, I loved every page of it. There was adventure, violence (loads of it), tall ships, tall tales, goodies, baddies, maps, treasure and, best of all, pirates! At that age there's something deeply evocative about word like pirate, stockade, musket and so on and I remember ed Jim's adventures with great fondness over the years.

In a fit of nostalgia I decided to read it again, although I was genuinely worried that I would n't like it now. If anything it's even better as it has all the great elements I remember from my childhood, but now I appreciate it on a different level and see that it's not all adventure on the high seas, but Treasure Island is a book with vivid and complex characters. Long John Silver remains the charismatic rogue I remember and even though he's a rotten villain and tricks Jim at every turn, you can't help but like him. Similarly, Blind Pew remains the terrifying character I remembered him to be and he should rattle more than a few big kids and little kids with his fierce roaring and cursing.

Some might say that Treasure Island won't appeal to today's children but this book is immediately accessible to any child with an imagination and an attention span longer than 2 minutes. In the same way, it will appeal to overgrown kids keen to live a bit of their childhoods again. It remains, as Long John Silver would say "smart as paint".

ARRAY(0xa8b29480)

Treasure Island (Clothbound Classics)
Treasure Island (Clothbound Classics) by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2009)
11.99