Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 September 2011
I've often seen extracts of the letters and have finally purchased my copy of the letters. I absolutely love them. They're pretty much the manual to life that got lost in the post when I was born. Rainer is a gift to our planet and I feel like these letters will be a source I'll reach for every now and then for comfort and empowerment.

I higly recommend this for poets (obviously) but also anyone who want to inspired and touched, for those who rebel the conventional ways and the free-spirited. Honestly, I believe it will believe it will benefit everyone and anyone.
on 18 May 2014
I bought and read this book after discussing Rilke with a Rilke fan and having to admit I'd never read anything by him. I doubt this is particularly unusual, which based on these letters is a shame. She suggested reading this set of letters as a good place to start. (This edition contains what seems to me to be a slightly odd combination of actual letters from Rilke to another younger poet (hence the title), and a fictional piece by Rilke titled "The Letter from a Young Worker". I assume this is because both are very short and may not justify a book on their own).

If you write and you read nothing else by Rilke read the first letter - but better still read them all.
on 5 May 2015
The content as others have said... is well worth reading. And I won't add to their already 'gleaming' comments in this review. My surprise though, was how slim this tome is. Fiscally speaking... whether the 'sixty-two' pages of 'actual' content are worthy of the £8.99 asking price, is another matter. This waif-like novella will take an hour of your time to finish. Please be aware of this when purchasing. You'd be far better off buying 'Ahead of All Parting' (Modern Library) edited by Stephen Mitchell ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ahead-All-Parting-Selected-Library/dp/0679601619 ) if you wanted to initially delve into the existentially mystical Rilke.
on 14 April 2013
If you are write or create or are simply interested in the human condition, get this beautiful book. Rilke was a gentle genius. Reading his letters is like opening a window and letting the air and sunshine into a room. His words will stay with me for a long time.
on 23 March 2015