Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 August 2010
This is a superb example of old fashioned "noir" (it was subsequently made into a film with Orson Welles & Rita Hayworth, retitled as "The Lady from Shaghai"). The plot grips from the opening paragraph & drags the reader through an increasing nightmare as the "innocent" lead character is duped at every turn. It is a breathless journey & it is well written enough to enable the willing suspension of disbelief. Enjoy.
on 19 January 2011
Once I'd started reading, I couldnt put it down. Only a 150 pages long, its concise and moves quickly. I remember watching the film "The Lady from Shanghai" many years ago and I felt the book read very much like a film script. But even though I was familiar with the story, this didn't distract from the reading of it. I still found the suspense and betrayals between characters compelling and enoyable. Definately worth a read.
on 1 January 2012
The book itself is pretty good but the "twist" at the end is completely ruined by the photograph chosen as the cover. Sure, the ending really comes as no surprise to anyone other than our hapless hero but if you are expecting a whodunnit? (and there is a long sequence in a courtroom that attempts to establish some guilt/confusion so I presume the reader is supposed to be intrigued by the various possibilities) then having the "who" who did dunnit staring right out at you every time you put the book down my not have been the best design choice.
on 8 September 2010
150 pages long. This is a tight little tale from Sherwood King. It's got a delicious female, a ... ahh! I don't want to spoilt it for you!

I liked this book. She writes well. Not quite Chandler ... but who is?