5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by Maria Savva

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Kindle version: terrible translation and formatting
This brief review is simply to warn would-be buyers of the Kindle version of Siddhartha. Although only 60 pence it is a waste of time and money.

The translation is amateurish and entirely ruins what is a beautiful and profound book (I have read the Penguin translation in paperback and would give that 4 or 5 star). Moreover, the formatting is terrible -...
Published on 28 Dec 2010 by C. James

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
Siddhartha, son of a Brahman, is on a quest to find the meaning of life. We follow him as he struggles on through his journey, through many different life experiences. He is on a spiritual journey to find out for himself who he really is. Along the way he meets rich people, poor people, holy people, and becomes part of their world for a short time. Through his many encounters, he learns much more about himself and the world, but for a long time he is still not satisfied and still feels a deep need to strive for more and to search for something elusive.
I think this book is relevant to everyone, because although it is telling the tale of a spiritual and religious man, it is also a tale about life and how our life experiences make us who we are. Many of Siddhartha's feelings and thoughts are common to us all as we make our way along the road of our own lives. This book reaffirms the fact that in the end we are all the same, and someone who has stayed in the same place all their life can be as wise as someone who has spent his life travelling on a long search for the truth. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Its message appears to be that we are all the same and all of our life experiences whether good or bad, are necessary for us to find ourselves, and even though everyone will go through different things, we are all bonded by the fact that we are on the same journey. I believe everyone who reads this book will be touched in some way by the simple and poignant words. I would recommend this to everyone, it's a very enlightening and though-provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book...for those who find a personal truth, 31 Jan 1999
This review is from: Siddhartha (Hardcover)
The message of Siddhartha is a personal one. As such, it can't be forced on someone as "required reading". Readers will either find Siddhartha inspirational because of an inherent truth they recognize relative to their own conduct in life, or boring because they find nothing personally relevant below the surface of the simple narrative. Siddhartha is wonderfully concise...if you hate it, its over quickly, and it doesn't require too much investment to revisit years later when your relationship to the story may be profoundly different.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zarathustra meets the Buddha, 28 Mar 2010
Sarakani (Harrow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
The sources of this book include classics like Nietzche's Thus Spake Zarathustra, the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita and elements of Buddhism. It is the story of a quest that mirrors the quests of several Indian sages from the Buddha to countless Sadhus since. It is important to let go of preconceptions when reading this book, it is however probably more suitable to westerners who don't appreciate Indian religions that don't bear comparison with monotheistic traditions that seek salvation using one totem. Indeed, Hess seems to treat Buddhism just like another totem to be ignored given that as a religion it implies "allegiance". Taking refuge with an open mind is not the same as swearing allegiance. Everyone has to discover realisation/s for themselves. The Buddha said this. Leaving this aside, Hess is deeply sympathetic to Buddhism but prefers instead an individualistic path based on love and a simple appreciation of the world, the way many human beings come to terms with the world. It is not necessarily the path to the realisation of ultimate truth, but more coming to terms with the problems of life. I was especially touched by the descriptions of listening to the soothing river. Chapter after chapter offers various teachers and the book as a whole is about the quest and not necessarily about answers.

Philosphically the book is about independence and individualism and makes the case for a lone seeker "fare lonely as a rhinoceros" as a Buddhits text has it. This means being wary of any religion or movement and understanding the limits of concepts. Many of us do have to join groups to come to understand this and it has to be borne in mind that Siddhartha, the protagonist finds his way by forming relationships, not by being entirely alone. Siddhartha asks questions and is keen to form bonds with sources of wisdom. In the end, he only has so much time and when he is old he has that much wisdom to offer. It may not be the whole realisation, but it is what is suitable for most readers of this book.

The book is a light and pleasant read and needs to be read slowly with enough time for digestion of each of the chapters. It is well thought out and enjoyable and though it may not be on the bestseller ranks, it is just the sort of book that someone may need and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 11 April 2000
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
This book was bought for me by a friend of mine, and I can never say enough thank you's for it. It is the most amazing read. Once I started it, I truely found I could not put it down, I was compelled to read it, and I will again. From the very first page, it makes you sit up and examine your own life. Do I really know who I am? Before your search of knowledge begins, do you know who you are?

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of quiet wisdom, 4 Sep 2007
S. Lovat (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha (Hardcover)
Hesse's work was always concerned with spiritual quests that had a Buddhist 'feel' to them but which, in the early days, were always couched within a largely Christian framework. In Siddhartha he finally nails his own spiritual credentials to the mast as this is a novel about the Buddhist path. Hesse's other great preoccupation was with the tension between the hedonistic and the ascetic life, and this finds it's place here, too. Siddhartha, Hesse's central character, finds just as much wisdom via sensual pleasure as he does via spiritual devotion. In fact, to renounce the sensual world, perhaps one must have experienced it?

This is a book which can take multimple re-readings and certainly gives me something new and inspirational each time I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stimulates dead brains, 13 Jan 2000
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
I bought this book in 1991 but didn't read it for another eight years.
In the intervening period, I endured a huge period of depression(for various reasons)from which, after much soul searching, pain and introspection, I finally dragged myself.
It was uncanny how I identified with Siddhartha when I read the book last year. In his quest for inner peace and happiness, he tries many different routes. In the end he finds the answer in simplicity. It was obvious, really...
So forget all those self help books, read this and think. Use your brain and ask yourself some big questions. It won't 'cure' you overnight but it may help you find the sources of your unhappiness... hopefully it won't take you eight years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Siddhartha, 9 April 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Siddhartha (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
`Siddhartha' is one of those books that is both simple to read and yet powerful and profound at the same time. Following a young Brahmin's son as he tries to find his spiritual path in life, this book manages to weave a tale that is both captivating and enlightening. This book is so good I could read the first 30 pages alone and put the book down a happy man, the remainder is purely icing on the cake! Hesse manages to write in a deceptively simple style that belies the depth to the message he shows us and the skill behind his writing. He won the nobel prize for good reason. This may be a short book, but it is one that will stay with you long after you have read it and will bring you back to rediscover it's delights at regular intervals. Beautiful prose, beautiful message and highly recommended indeed.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Philosophy For Life, 22 Feb 2003
Andrew J. Keir "Andrew J Keir" (Abu Dhabi/Largs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Siddhartha (Hardcover)
This novel is about our hero Siddartha's search for spiritual truth and his eventual discovery of a personal philosophy, which leads him to enlightenment and a life free of fear and desire.
Siddartha is also an allegory that can apply to all of us. It teaches us how to have a liberating philosophy for life, which most westerners will very different from their usual modern, materialistic perspectives.
Should you decide to read this wonderful work, it is worth noting from the outset that, though it contains religion, it does not preach the tenets of any faith. It is purely and simply about philosophy.
This book is worth reading for it's own merits, but if you read Hesse's Demian and Steppenwolf first you will get even more benefit from it. These three novels changed my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusion of Time and of divisions, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Siddhartha (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
In my opinion, these are the two most important teachings of Siddharta: time and divisions are illusions, everything is one and it is one at the same time. A powerful message of unity which supports the whole novel of Siddharta. A beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Siddhartha, 9 April 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

Siddhartha (Penguin Modern Classics)
Siddhartha (Penguin Modern Classics) by Hermann Hesse (Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)