5.0 out of 5 stars Ace
Published on 6 Jan 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars The Mersey Sound
Being a scouser from the 60's I looked forward to reading this book. However I was disappointed with the standard of poetry. A few were good but I found most just a bit daft and I have a good witty sense of humour
Published on 21 April 2012 by Ms. E. A. Nicholson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 6 Jan 2006
By A Customer
The poems in this anthology perfectly encompass the literary pop culture of Britain in the 60's. At first reading, the exceptional poetry by the three authors seem somewhat silly, yet very entertaining. The styles vary many times, never to bore the now-interested reader. After a surface look, you can look deeper into the poetry, and the verse goes from clever to beautiful. These poets were much more than mirrors for the times they lived in, but they analyzed and simplified dozens of subjects, from Batman to the bomb, all in the beautifully wacky poetry they put in this book. A classic poetry book and an entertaining read at the same time, this anthology is a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic Mersey, 25 Dec 2008
VM Roberts "Vinnie the Snip" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I saw Adrian Henri, Roger McGough and Brian Patten perform numerous times when they were promoting this and subsequent anthologies. Always entertaining they sparked my love of poetry, this is the best place to start for an intro into the irreverent, beautiful, sad, sardonic, funny and romantic view of the Sixties from a Merseyside point of view. Start with Tonight At Noon (Henri) and move through the works of 3 poets at the height of their youthful (then ) powers!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mersey Sound, 23 Jan 2012
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I lost my battered paperback copy of this anthology some years ago and was delighted to find it on kindle. Here are three poets at their best: Brian Patten, Adrian Henri and Roger McGough. Lots of references to Beat poets, Beat bands (one in particular crops up a few times, but as they are the best band ever that's fine!) and the Bomb. This is very evocative of a certain place and a particular era, but the poems are surprisingly fresh on re-reading them and also - as good poetry always is - relevant to concerns now as well as then. This kindle book is nicely formatted and well presented and I enjoyed reading it again very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia fulfilled., 2 Aug 2009
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Folowing a TV program about the Liverpool Poets I looked on Amazon and replaced my long lost copy. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Mersey sound, 1 July 2009
Mr. Graham Smillie "Graham" (Barrow in Furness) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Described as a classic of British poetry and rightly so. Excellent collection of poems (so far, I haven't read them all) which give a snapshot of life and the culture of Liverpool in the 60's. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars .......mmmm smells and sounds of the 60's........, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
..........on the back of my open backed bus I found it hard to read a book.....those old buses did bounce a lot and then there was the passengers, nagging, demanding tickets, information and other silly stuff. So I tried short stories, but that was almost the same. 'Poetry' I thought, 'that's the answer' and yes it was easier to concentrate on, given it's short snappy lines with a complete story or message on a page or even in a verse or two. Of course reading standing up on the tail end of a bus in the cold of a Cardiff winter eventually takes it's toll. I did end up just looking at picture books and graduated from The Art of the Renaissance through most schools to finally find the easiest to handle physically and I admit, intellectually, was kids comics. BUT those months with verse never left me. I've never forgotten Betjeman or Wilde. Whitman and Eliot, Ginsberg and Dylan, both Thomas and Zimmerman etc. And so, I am at a loss why it took me 43 years to buy this book again.....do it now !.....buy it !......don't worry if you weren't there (the 60's that is) just buy it.........it's simply great......

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing wrong with Nostalgia, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
You had to have been there to love all the poems, some have not travelled well. But it is a record of the time and marked a change in attitude to poetry and how it should look and sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars and you should buy "The Amazing Adventures Of The Liverpool Scene" CD, 27 July 2014
I was given this book in paperback form when first published, and I was a first year art student. When I moved to Liverpool for my art degree Adrian Henri was still a fairly regular presence in those early 70's pubs, places where new bands and poets could share an informal stage, improvise, try new ideas. Times gone by. But I still have that paperback.

If you yourself are a creative spirit, or perhaps interested in what might be described as Britain's answer to the American Beat poets and writers, you should buy this, and you should buy "The Amazing Adventures Of The Liverpool Scene" CD. You should then ban everyone in your household from watching X-factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to my Youth, 21 May 2009
Mr. K. Ginger - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
This is the book that got me into poetry (reading and writing). It takes me back to 1970, when I was 18, and still reads as good now. Probably not for todays teens though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless!, 12 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Even if you don't think you like poetry , buy this book - you will not be disappointed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Mersey Sound (Penguin Modern Classics) by Adrian Henri (Paperback - 7 Jun 2007)