5.0 out of 5 stars Breath taking in its scope. An American classic.
The first time I read Ragtime I was pregnant and so my over zealous enthusiasm for this book was put down to hormonial overload by everyone who knew me. I have since given birth, regained hormonal stability and re-read the book. It's even better second time around. It's a true "can't put it down" classic, leaping from chapter to chapter, pulling you through the...
Published on 23 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Divided by a common language
Unlike most of your reviewers, I did not enjoy this book. I found the mixing of real and fictitious persons confusing and thought the characters lacked depth. The actions of Mother's Younger Brother seemed inexplicable, and Coalhouse Walker could only exist in fiction. There is no real feeling of the widespread poverty of the time, or of the pace of change.
Since...
Published on 9 April 2011 by Donald Hughes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Ragtime- a students review, 18 Mar 2007
Ragtime is a cleverly formed masterpeice of interwoven narrative threads that interact and weave in and away from each other with fluency and unprediction. The main authorial concerns found in the book are the numerous subtle steps that form into a leap of change found in the historical, cultural and social elements of the time. Things such as discrimination, sexual attitude and the contrast between three seemingly contradictory families and the battles they each face, paints this major idea of change within the book. Without any major signs of the authors posonal viwes, values and contexts of the time, leaves the essence of the book largely untainted and relatively unbias. An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great American Novel!, 30 Oct 1998
By A Customer
My uncle took me to see the musical of Ragtime in New York and I liked it so much that he then bought me the book. I finished it in 2 days and although sometimes it's very different from the musical, I would put it as Number 1 on the list of my favorite books. Buy this book and the Ragtime double-CD NOW!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 15 Jun 2010
This review is from: Ragtime (Paperback)
Despite all the factual information I didn't really learn anything about "Ragtime" America. Neither did the book make me connect with any of the characters. In all honesty this was a bit of a pointless book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple, 25 April 1999
By A Customer
Ragtime is a clever, well-written, easy read. It contains a wee bit of controversy, a tincture of novelty, but none of the didactic truths upon which depends the immediacy of art.
Based on this book, readers believe that E.L. Doctorow is one of America's finest living authors? Poor, poor America.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics)
Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) by E. L. Doctorow (Paperback - 2 Feb 2006)
6.99