5.0 out of 5 stars Breath taking in its scope. An American classic.
The first time I read Ragtime I was pregnant and so my over zealous enthusiasm for this book was put down to hormonial overload by everyone who knew me. I have since given birth, regained hormonal stability and re-read the book. It's even better second time around. It's a true "can't put it down" classic, leaping from chapter to chapter, pulling you through the...
Published on 23 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Divided by a common language
Unlike most of your reviewers, I did not enjoy this book. I found the mixing of real and fictitious persons confusing and thought the characters lacked depth. The actions of Mother's Younger Brother seemed inexplicable, and Coalhouse Walker could only exist in fiction. There is no real feeling of the widespread poverty of the time, or of the pace of change.
Since...
Published on 9 April 2011 by Donald Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Doctorow classic., 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: RAGTIME. (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow! An American classic that seems not to be as well known as it should. An incredible patchwork quilt of a story which segues so many different elements together - beautifully. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars American classic, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Having seen 'Ragtime' at The RegentsPark Open Air Theatre, I was encouraged to read this tale of Ameriva in the early 20th century. A compelling and easy read that added to my knowledge of the growth of the nation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary classic, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
A thought provoking book full of history interlinked with real characters and events, thoroughly enjoyable and justifiably classed as the great American novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 23 Aug 2011
Mr. R. Little - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
It took me a short while to get into this book but once I was it was an astonishing read. Bizarre and macabre as well as thought provoking. Incredibly well written and definitely worth a read. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it now, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
This book was a joy to read. I was sceptical because I'd heard so much about it, but the story really drew me in and I found myself really caring for the characters and rooting for Coalhouse Walker. I particularly enjoy it when an author weaves real-life characters into a fictional plot with this amount of skill, and Doctorow really nailed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I truly loved this book., 24 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I loved this book-- truly. This book presented the real plight of American culture. It showed how the "color line" is the root of all problems created in America. Coalhouse Walker, Jr. is a character that transcends time and race. Every human wants to be treated as such, no matter their ethnic, religious, or economic background. Mother and Father are typical of their times. Sarah was a caring character and became a victim because of her love. Younger Brother radical and is realistic. I also saw the musical-- after I read the book twice. The sexual scenes lent to the new found freedom of the younger generation during that time. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved everything about this book, 3 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Doctorow has to be one of the greatest writers living in America today. His power of description is remarkable. All of the characters came alive for me and I really could understand them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could this book be any better?, 4 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I have long searched for a book that could grasp me the way E.L. Doctorow's did while I indulged myself in his cleverly woven masterpiece of modern time. Yes, I am only a sophomore in High School, but I still appreciate a good book when I see one. I am responsible for creating a 40 minute oral report on this work, and beleive strongly that you won't, for one second... See a frown on my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a book!, 12 Feb 2013
L. J. Burns "evapor8" (bournemouth, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
outstanding. if you haven't read this your in for a treat. just read it, it really is worth your attention. that is my opinion anyway im no critic

3.0 out of 5 stars Divided by a common language, 9 April 2011
Donald Hughes (Ruislip) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Since reading the Updike Rabbit masterpieces, I have not had much joy with American novels (The Secret History apart), having recently been disappointed with The Road, Revolutionary Road and, now, Ragtime. Perhaps, after all, we are divided by a common language.

Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics)
Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics) by E. L. Doctorow (Paperback - 2 Feb 2006)
6.99