5.0 out of 5 stars i can't stop thinking about this book
Published on 23 July 2010 by maggie powell

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough, Mr Kindle
I really enjoyed this novel. On a European train journey, I was actually wishing the journey was even longer to try and finish the book! Splendid evocation of Occupied and Vichy France. Nice balance between the British pilot's belief in his own 'immortality' and the absolute pious faith of Francoise the young besotted farm-girl.

In contrast to some other...
Published on 30 July 2012 by Officer Dibble

5.0 out of 5 stars i can't stop thinking about this book, 23 July 2010
I struggled to get up for work having read the second half of this book until 3am, although sense told me to get a good night's sleep just could not put it down! The writing beautiful, lyrical and evocative. The story- absolutely gripping, literally couldn't turn the pages fast enough, yet some of it so gorgeous had to re-read bits. The ending very poignant, and a week later I m still thinking about the Mill, the vines, and the beautiful dark eyed Francoise, the Doctor and the old lady left behind to who knows what. The final part, the escape, the shabby town and Marseilles is just amazing, i'm still crouching down hiding with Franklin at the train yard... great and moving ending too. Wish this had been on our reading list at school and why has it not been made into a film?
Absolutely brilliant - one of his finest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough, Mr Kindle, 30 July 2012
Officer Dibble (Zummerzet) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

In contrast to some other reviewers, the ending was moving and it's abruptness added impact - no further spoiler comments from me.

So why the two star rating? This review is of a product and that product is the Kindle version. It really is not good enough for Kindle to continue to produce a product littered with typos and transposition errors. Furthermore, the kindle version actually cost more than a hard copy. How can that be justified?

There was no other content than the bare text to justify the extra cost. Why are we being asked to pay more for an inferior product?

I strongly urge you to read this novel but buy the book NOT the Kindle version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fair Stood The Wind For France., 8 Mar. 2010
KatyC (S. Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Exquisitely written with the detail of a fine pencil drawing, Bates describes the scenes, smells, emotions, and dangers of a time spent during a hot summer in wartime France.
A Wellington bomber comes down in rural, occupied France, with a crew of five on board. The pilot, Franklin, is seriously injured, but is lucky enough to be kept safe by a farming family sympathetic to the allies.
Secresy is vital as the family risk great danger in housing the crew, and helping in their escape.
Over the course of his stay, a romance blossoms between Franklin and Francoise, the daughter of the house.
For an example of the text, here is Francoise going fishing.....
"Beyond the mill, on the north side, under the wet stones where the sun never reached, there were always small striped worms, almost like small carmine watch-springs coiled in the clay. She spent five minutes getting enough worms to fill the tobacco-tin she carried in the bag....."

5.0 out of 5 stars Love In Time of War, 6 May 2000
By A Customer
This is my favourite novel about love under the extreme conditions of war. A downed bomber in France, the danger of detection, the love of a woman, the story of true romance and the ability of two people to build such close, intimate, and wholly trusting bonds is beautifully described in truly well-written English. I am going to buy this book for my fiancee - I want her to see depicted that true love of a woman most can only dream about. I always hoped to find such trust and commitment, and in Bates' novel I find it described so beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 18 May 2014
I had previously read H. E. Bates Love for Lydia and really loved it. Although I would not have picked a novel about war to read I was persuaded by the positive reviews. I was very surprised how much I enjoyed and was moved by the characters and found myself emotional by the end, which is always a good sign of a novel and one that doesn't happen very often.
Jane

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Fair Stood the Wind for France (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
This gripping novel,published in 1944, captures the spirit of trust and comradeship that typified the attitude of many during the war. It also shows the desperate conditons of those living in occupied France and the lengths some would go to to help others. As good as a text book for history students.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 29 May 2014
Not read this book since School, 45 years ago, memory fading on some things but it was as though I was reading it for first time. A great story that pulls you in and keeps you hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars the sadness and also the love., 6 Sept. 2014
An evocative tale of war torn France. Gentle and moving. H E Bates manages to take you right into the french farmhouse and feel the tension, the sadness and also the love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lest We Forget?, 27 April 2013
Mrs. Marilyn E. Miller (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Beautifully written with a compelling narrative, the novel brings us a first-hand account of occupied France and the dangers faced by anyone associated with the Resistance. It's dated, of course, but I enjoyed the picture of the harsh simplicity of rural life and the people it supported. There have probably been films made but I've not seen them. I was born just after WW2 and my parents talked often about 'during the war'. This story made me realise how young the fighting force was and how uncertain the future for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite novel of all time, 3 April 2013
My English teacher recommended this book to me when I was 13 (that was 49 years ago). I read it because I was mad about aircraft, but then realised it was a love story. I must have read it at least 20 times since (including while flying over the Alps). The precision and simplicity and almost poetic nature of Bates's writing is spellbinding. He creates the same feeling again in 'A Moment in Time' if you are looking for a similar read. Classic wartime story, and highly recommended if you just love great writing.

Fair Stood the Wind for France (Penguin Modern Classics)
Fair Stood the Wind for France (Penguin Modern Classics) by H E Bates (Paperback - 7 April 2005)