‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Satire, 15 Dec 2009
Michael Field "Mikes Headroom" (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I used to laugh like a drain when I read this at school and this time, I only needed to read the introduction to set me off. The combination of the sardonic and the innocent is unsurpassed by anything in British literature in the last fifty years. In TV and American context, only The Simpsons comes near to conveying the same sense of the hardbitten and the redeemable. Not would it work without those uniquely expressive drawings that are so eternal and still so of their time. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Any Fule No, this is brilliant, 22 Nov 2007
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I first read Molesworth as a child, and loved him. I read all the books and destroyed them through reading them too often. I have since bought them all again and continue to read them as an adult and exhort all my friends to read them too.
Molesworth is a schoolboy in the 1950's public school system and these are his diaries and grate thoughts on life. I grew up in the seventies, and so this was dated even then, but it doesn't matter. The comedy is evergreen, the words hilarious and the pictures perfect.
Molesworth is cynical, world weary and anti authoritarian to a delightful degree. His spelling is dreadful, and this is one of the best things about the book, in my opinion. His thoughts on peotry, particularly his rendition of "The Charge of The Light Brigade" is up there with anything P.G. Wodehouse has ever written, and he is a comedy genius. An absolute must buy for anyone with a sense of humour anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is where it starts..., 23 Jun 2007
Mr C (East Sussex, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
What you need to remember about Nigel Molesworth is that he not only predates Bart Simpson by decades, but he also predates those who seem to inspire our spikey haired yellow hero. Read it and then look for traces in all good comic writing. Buy it, read it, laugh and it is ho for st custards for ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every boys guide to skool and how to survive it, 30 May 2000
By A Customer
Nigel Molesworth, hero of my youth (and indeed the rest of my life). To call this a work of nostalgic genius is too low praise. Let banners be hung and trumpets play out in praise of Molesworth, Molesworth 2, Peason (his grate friend) and the rest of the denizens of St. Custards, a latter day Dotheboys Hall. Maybe the English public school system is outdated and in need of change, but surely any institution which can have provided the impetus behind this series of books is not all bad. Anyone who sez otherwise is a sneke, and will be scragged after Prep, chiz, chiz (which is a swizz or a swindle as any fule kno)

5.0 out of 5 stars Put it away boy.........., 19 May 2010
Gareth Pratt "The Midday Rambler" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I served breifly as a master in a private skool recentely and I can sa with uter confideance that this experience have given me a much grater appreciation of the Molesworth Canon. All the characters stil liv on.

Molesworth is simply timeles I sa.

5.0 out of 5 stars teknicly the best boke in the world, 4 July 2011
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
no it relly is. i grew up on it and it made me the reader i am toda. so funny, so sharp, so clever. don't be put of by my inabilititie to write this reveiw in normal speling, the molesworth wa is catching and you can't help yurself. give this to every kid you kno and then read it yruself on the quite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Molesworth - not just for children, 13 Dec 2010
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
When I was as school, this was one of my favourite books. I used to love the cartoons and the terrible spelling. At the time it seemed so subversive.

I went to a rather old fashioned boys' grammar school that had certain similarities with St Custards. It has now become a co-educational comprehensive and a believe (and hope) a much more benign place.

Re reading these books 35 years on, with an adult's knowledge and experience, the satire becomes much sharper and the books are much more enjoyable as a result. The books are much cleverer than my 11 year old self ever realised.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars As any fule kno, 19 Aug 2009
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
This edition, with the three classics of er English Lit. (forget geom., alg. ect, ect they are for wets and weeds and are a chiz) include Down with Skool, Back in Jug Agane and Whizz for Atoms. As has been said, Molesworth and his friends may have slightly dated (this is about a 1950s skool after all) but like the Super Swot Shakespeare Major is timeless. Molesworth delivers a short sharp shock (this will hurt you more than it hurts me!) to the English skool system on behalf of skoolboys everywhere.

Buy this for grandads, fathers and keep a copy for yourself. But not for fotherington-tomas for he is a wet and a weed and have a face like a squished tomato!

5.0 out of 5 stars CERTAINLY NO CHIZ, 29 Jan 2008
Philip J. Whitehouse (Melbourne ,Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Truly wonderful !! If you attended "Skool" in the late fifties-early sixties in the U.K. as I did. you will find this book a nostagic tour-de-force par excellence. And even if you didn't you surely cannot fail to enjoy this book . All the Nigel Molesworth classics in one omnibus edition! Quite unbeatable- as "any fule kno ".

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for boys, for gurls and grown ups too, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I first read about dear Nigel as a small 'gurl', and chortled my way through his thoughts even though I was a/ not a boy and b/ not in public school. I revisited him regularly until moving houses eventually lead to my copy of his complete works disappearing. I'm so glad to have found a copy again, so I can revist the dear boy and partake of his wisdom once more (and revisit my own childhood at the same time) cheers cheers cheers!

It's been said by others on here but for much laughter, get a copy and marvel at the lives of Molesworth, his grate friend Peason, rich head boy Grabber, annoying Molesworth Jnr and weedy gurly Fotherington-thomas who skip about saying 'hello sky, hello trees...' It's really a wonderful read.

As any fule kno.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics)
Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) by Geoffrey Willans (Paperback - 2 Nov 2000)
7.69