5.0 out of 5 stars a plea for this book to be appreciated as it deserves to be
Why oh why is this book not better known by a wider public? I first read it when I was about 13 years old, and was entranced by it. As someone who reads voraciously, I have returned to it from time to time, and am frankly amazed that I have never in my 30 years since then read a book to equal it in my enjoyment of the beautiful prose, the depth of the emotion it evokes...
Published on 9 Sep 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not true to my experiences, and those of my parents and grandparents, of the historic Welsh mining communities.
Entertaining but rather irritatingly there are many places and ways in which it is clear that the author, born in rural Pembrokeshire which he left at the age of 8, to live in colonies abroad and then returned to London and a career in the media world, has no real grasp or first-hand experience of the TRUE reality of life, culture and dialect in Welsh mining communities...
Published 12 months ago by TOMOS

1.0 out of 5 stars Why do y'all like this book so much?, 26 May 1999
By A Customer
I read this book a few years ago for my English Class, and I seriously thought it was the worst novel I'd ever read. Not only was almost unbearably insipid, it was so depressing and ugly that if it could have drawn me in enough to have cared about it, I would have been filled with only negative emotions such as grief and sadness.

How Green Was My Valley (Penguin Modern Classics)
How Green Was My Valley (Penguin Modern Classics) by Richard Llewellyn (Paperback - 28 Jun 2001)