5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite ever novel!
Here I sit at 19, about to go back to university for my second year studying English and I find myself wondering how I can value a mid 20th century science fiction novel over all the classics and anything else on my bookshelf.

Then I look at the front cover and see the quote "One of those books that haunts you for the rest of your life" and realise that quote...
Published on 15 Sep 2007 by M. T. Gibbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Creepily Effective...
ONly just remembered the series, but decided to pick up the book not long after War of The Worlds - which it alwasy gets compared to. I found them different - Triffids seemed more about the collapse of society, and the problems thrown up by the Triffids rather than thier actual 'taking over' of the plants. Wyndham's skill ies in just having The Triffids skulking in the...
Published on 13 Mar 2007 by Stockton

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Day of the Triffids (Penguin Modern Classics), 6 May 2009
Mr. Peter Roberts (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Day of the Triffids (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Bought as a bedtime reader for my 10 year-old son. I remember reading the novel as a teenager, however, the version I recall was a lot 'simpler' than this version. The language is typically 1950's or earlier and quite adult in complexity. I found I had to skip certain paragraphs due to the style of writing and the level of understanding for a 10 year old. That said, my son found the story riveting, and always looked forward to bedtime! A definite winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first proper book I ever read!, 1 Jan 2004
J. C. Eames "Winston" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I had read numerous books before this one however they were school books and the like. This however was an old copy I picked up as a youth and decided to read one day. I'm so glad I did!!
I loved this book it is not a huge breeze block of a book, being only a little over 200 pages, but there is so much here.
The book has been copied lately by the hit film
'28 Days Later' which was loosely based on it as far as storyline and plot direction goes.
The story is great one of two of John Wyndham's post apocalyptic novels that i have read, the other being 'The Chrysalids' which is also amazing.
The moment I glared at the first page I was hooked the story just grips you and your desperate to know what happens to the main characters. A very good book worthy of your well earned pennies and very readable from a fairly early age too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware the plants!, 14 Dec 2006
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I read the book before watching the BBC TV adaptation, and I was very impressed.

The book has become a template for the 'waking up to a different world' genre (e.g; 28 days later).

The premise is sheer brilliance. Venomous plants (Triffids) which can move about are being farmed, and some people keep them as pets (they dock the poisonous 'whip' of the plant).

One night strange green light appear in the sky and the world watches in awe. Next day... everyone who watched the lights are now blind.

The Triffids are now a real threat as humans are at a disadvantage to the plants.

Triffids run riot throughout the land whilst the blind humans struggle to survive.

Our hero wakes up in hospital to find the carnage outside. We follow his story and the few survivors he meets along the way.

Wyndham famously never explained how the Triffids came about, and he didn't explain the meteor shower that blinding the population. Were the two things linked? Was it planned? Was it coincidence? This leaves the reader thinking long after reading the book.

I defy anyone to not enjoy this piece of literature history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some stories never grown old, 28 July 2002
This book has been reprinted fifty years after its original publication, and it has lost nothing. William Masen is a patient hospital having eye surgery when the beginning of the end of the world commences. Because his eyes are bandaged he is unable to see the shooting stars that blind anyone who looks at them, and that is most people. Then come the invaders monstrous plants that try to take over the world. There is action in this book from beginning to end and even those who do not usually read science fiction will enjoy it. John Wyndham has proved himself to be a great writer and this is a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars No wonder the kids can't spell !!!, 28 Feb 2011
Thid wis a torrible ebook full off spilling mistukes.

Would have given 5 stars for this book without the mistakes

If it had been proof read they need new glasses or a different job!!!

Its a pity that ebooks can cost so much more than the paper copy & yet the quality can be very poor.

Like everything else in life if its not suitable for purpose this would have been returned.

Wheres my refund Amazon?

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of typing errors! (Great novel though...), 26 Dec 2012
This is a brilliant classic novel. The characters struggle to survive in a near-apocalyptic landscape after virtually everyone in the world is blinded by a comet shower. Nightmarish walking triffid plants are ready to sting and slowly devour survivors. The main characters have a very brave "stiff upper lip" approach to the situation, which really dates this book to the post-war era. The X-Factor generation they are not. HOWEVER - this Kindle edition is full of typos to the point that I've asked for a refund, so I suggest you buy a different edition. Five star novel, one star edition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 9 Oct 2013
The book arrived for me to find it not only had a completely different cover as shown in the picture and was also an older edition than the one stated, but it also is in pretty rough second hand condition with dents and spills on it.

Not happy. and will not be ordering from this seller again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 6 Sep 2013
The introduction itself is facinating
The style is a bit odd.
Now i see it will be on SKY television.
Hmm???

2.0 out of 5 stars The Day of the Triffids, 21 Feb 2013
This has been my favourite book since hearing a wireless adaptation in my early teens . Love it. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A day to remember, 5 Aug 2012
R ASPLIN - See all my reviews
Now for some of you, this will mean one thing. A rather frightening (but not actually sure if it IS frightening as I haven't seen it since 1981 when it was broadcast) BBC TV adaptation. Here's what I remember about it:
1. A man with a beard wandered around a still and spooky empty London town.
2. The plants were a bit Dr. Who but made a dolphin-y clicky noise.
3. I have no idea how it ended or anything more than the above.
The younger of you will p'raps recall a more modern version with Eddie Izzard in it back in 2009. I watched some of this hoping it would be all scary and haunting like my 1981 memory. It wasn't. I'm not blaming Eddie Izzard for this. Merely the folk who cast him.

Anyhoo, the book appears on the BBC Big Read list at the excellent spot of 120. (Between Clavell's Shogun and Wilson's Lola Rose). And it is, by and large, brilliant. Wyndham creates a genuinely eerie empty England, full of bleak deserted streets and wind blown litter, punctuated by the desperate shrieks of the blinded staggering about helplessly. The plants are oddly chilling, hovering as they do in sinister groups, developing consciousness and hunting patterns. Our characters struggle with coping without government or supplies, groups cropping up claiming to lead the survivors into a new future and we get many philosophical ideas about what it is to be human, survival over living, our fellow man and other thought provoking whatnot, all the while the clicking and rustling of man eating plants shuffle at the end of the drive waiting waiting patiently to strike. A fantastic chilling apocalypse of a story with a very British bleakness to it. Check it out.

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 17 | Next ›

The Day of the Triffids (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Day of the Triffids (Penguin Modern Classics) by John Wyndham (Paperback - 22 Feb 2001)
6.29