5.0 out of 5 stars It's a play not a novel
Many of the more luke-warm reviewers of this powerful play clearly haven't been to see a good production. I don't think it's about boredom, rather about how men cope, without going mad, with the impossible horror of having seen thousands of their comrades die hideously in battle often in prolonged agony, of knowing that they themselves are likely to die soon, of hearing...
Published on 26 July 2011 by B. Gray

2.0 out of 5 stars Journey's end
I Paid for this book on my kindle but I did not get the complete book please can you send me a complete book

Janis Farmer
Published 8 months ago by Mrs. Janis Farmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., 18 April 2012
This book was bought to school, and it served it's purpose well. Just what I needed and good quality at an affordable price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Journey's End (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Doing this book for GCSE's...it came promptly and within the estimated delivery in perfect condition! I love this book...so sad yet so addictive!!! Definitely recommend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable short story (play), 26 Oct 2014
I. Charity (Stowmarket, England) - See all my reviews
Very good. I thought it was probably true to life. Khgfihgc hhighways khgfukgv b hhfkhgckhg. Giving hhow hkgvkhb khgc n khgc hkgvkhb khgc,he khgc

2.0 out of 5 stars Journey's end, 27 Mar 2014
Mrs. Janis Farmer (UK) - See all my reviews

Janis Farmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Journey's End - A portrait of war, 5 Mar 2003
This review is from: Journey's End (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Surprisingly R.C. Sherrif's 'Journeys End' is about boredom.
Captain Stanhope's company is bored of waiting for an order in a dugout
at the frontline in World War I. The only catastrophy for them could be
some mud in their tea. This british humor makes 'Journey's End' seem to be
very surrealistic. But on closer consideration the reader will be confronted
with the reality of war. Being bored of waiting for your own death could be
a description for the situation of the characters. The author manages to express
very smoothly without any discription of death itself. The missuse of power,
the question of guilt and the process of getting disillusioned from war are topics
of this authentic and exiting drama. Especially during these days of advertising warfare
as a means of politics 'Journey's End' is an insightful portrait of war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous, 16 Aug 2014
This is not only a good play but also a fantastic insight into how those who fought in the Great War perceived it at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars We had a wonderful time at our drama group reading it, 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: Journey's End (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
This play is as fresh and relevant as the year it was written. We had a wonderful time at our drama group reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent - Famous play the opened the eyes of the ..., 17 Oct 2014
Excelent - Famous play the opened the eyes of the general public to what life in the trenches was really like,

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective, 9 Aug 2005
Paul Johnson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey's End (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
This was recommended to me after I read and very much enjoyed 'All Clear On The Western Front'. It's similar in nature I suppose, looking at the human aspect of World War One, though Western Front seems to get across far more starkly just how ghastly it all was.
Some of that will no doubt be down to the fact that Journey's End concentrates on the lives of officers who had a higher standard of living even in the trenches. Also, with Journey's End being a play it is set over a far shorter timeframe which leaves less options to develop each of the characters.
The key player, Stanhope, is a young officer in charge of a company who is suffering incredible stress and keeping his head above water merely with the use of whiskey. They other key officers are all suffering in their own ways, with Raleigh a newcomer who is initially extremely optimistic though quickly shocked into the realities of the war.
There are two key characters killed during the course of the play and the loss is felt in a moving way. You do feel for each of the characters which I guess is a good example of how well written they are.
I've never really been one for reading plays, preferring to see them of course, but this reads well. Now, I must see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was in tears by the end of the book..., 26 Sep 2011
S. MOHAMADI (London,SW) - See all my reviews
A very moving account of the First World War and the sacrifices those brave soldiers did for the rest of us. I was in tears by the end of the book. It undoubtedly hasn't lost its impact after all those years that was written. Highly recommended.

Journey's End (Penguin Modern Classics)
Journey's End (Penguin Modern Classics) by Robert Cedric Sherriff (Paperback - 26 Oct 2000)