5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of modern humour.
Published on 4 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars 100 words on Lucky Jim
As a fan of Martin Amis, I sought this out as something of a curiosity. Humour is clearly an Amis family trait, but Kingsley's work is lighter (more accessible) than his son's. Lucky Jim is unashamedly sit-com in style, with Jim - the harmless, mostly-well-intentioned fool - stumbling from one faux pas to the next. And, of course, every ill-conceived attempt to rectify...
Published on 7 Jan 2009 by MrAsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of modern humour., 4 Nov 2001
This review is from: Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Lucky Jim is one of Amis's best works, filled with intense humour, false bravado and absurd characters. The 'hero' Jim Dixon, is intially engulfed by the diverse scope of the eccentric social group with which he finds himself into at University, his students and collegues alike causing him no end of problems. Speaking as a student I find the novel to be in parts painfully close to reality, particularly in Jim's dealings with his over-keen student Michie, and the general irreverent nature of university life, despite the fact that it is set over forty years ago, it is still a humourous and well-recorded version of campus life. Overall the main strengths of the novel are its varied cast of characters whose imbecility, social ineptitude or plain naivety constantly amuse the reader throughout, whilst the climax is a fitting end to Jim's trials both socially, intellectually and morally. Deeply funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed so much I thought I might die., 13 Mar 2007
This review is from: Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I am in complete agreement with the 14 year old boy who found this absolute classic in with his dad's old books. I bought this for 2 out of the university bookshop bargain bin when I was in first year at university ( I should add I am 27 so no old fogey) and vaguely remembered seeing Terry-Thomas as Bertrand ("AH SAAAAM") in some old black and white sick-day film on a tuesday afternoon. I started reading it on the train home and didn't stop till I was done. I was actually shocked to see that people hated this and found it dated or "middle-class" (I assume that's meant to be pejorative?). This has to be one of the funniest novels of all time - particularly all the fighting talk "Would you like a slap?" "Not much" and Jim's ability to turn any situation to his complete disadvantage.

I now have a theory that the reason this novels appeals so much to some and not to others is that the world is divided into Bertrands and Jims - the former definitely would hate this book. They'd be into magic realism or something. If you like this you will almost definitely like "Take a Girl like You" which is almost the same book with the characters shifted round a bit but slightly less funny - apart from Julian Ormerod who is pant-wettingly hilarious. Every time I read either of these I crease up and for a long time after I read Lucky Jim even thinking about it was enough to set me off. Buy two copies cos you'll loan one to your friend and never see it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A timeless book providing a top read, 8 April 2002
By A Customer
I'm not one of those people who ever laughs out loud at any book. However, even I found myself emitting the occasional snort at the humorous situations that Jim Dixon gets himself into. Nearly fifty years on it's still all relevant: the English man's clumsiness with women, the academic pomposity and the battle with one's superiors.
Amis builds up the characters wonderfully and writes in such a fluent and full style. This was my first Kingsley Amis book, but it won't be my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic entertainment, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
God knows what Kingsley Amis must have been like in person; his ability to find fun in everyone's otherwise irritating and frustrating behaviour is astonishing.

Filled with extraordinarily, almost manically descriptive, humourous observations, this book is enormously entertaining and uproariously funny - a comic masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creeps up on you..., 28 Mar 2009
This review is from: Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
This is easily one of the best, funniest books i have ever read. The humour is perfectly excecuted and caught me completely off-guard at various points- it really creeps up on you and will leave you in stiches if you are able to empathise with the protaganist, a very sympathetic character. Even though some characters could be considered a little one-dimensional, this seems not to hinder the brilliance of the novel. A classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a comedy classic, 8 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Lucky Jim (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book years ago and have just re-read it, wondering whether it would still make me crack up. It did! I read ages ago that what makes people laugh is having your characters say or do things that everybody thinks or does, but nobody ever talks about. I still think the episode where Jim burns the sheets, tries to cover it up and dreads getting found out, is absolutely classic. Of course this is practically a historical novel now; anyone with an elderly relative who constantly says, 'We were damn hard up...' should read this. Poor old Jim, wondering whether he can afford another half... For anyone who wasn't there, and doesn't believe it really ever existed, it's also a brilliant insight into the pre-pill, pre shagshagshag era. Read this, pity your aged relatives, and have a really good laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Jim....Great!, 9 Aug 2001
This review is from: Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I'm only 14 and until now I've settled for reading military novels by the likes of Andy McNab. Now, however, a whole new world of exciting and funny books has opened up to me! It was just pure luck that I was bored one day and decided to dust off one of my dads old books! There are rumours that the humour in the book is now dated, rubbish! I didn't actually know that it was not present day until they mentioned the war and even then I had to check the publishing date to believe it! The part when Jim goes to the evening of festivities at the Professors,get's drunk and makes a fool of himself is quite simply hilarious!.... Amazing stuff...I'd reccommend it to anybody with a sense of humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars A deserved classic, 31 Oct 2012
Although the subject matter is a little dated, "Lucky Jim's" humour still stands today. The main character is one with whom most can identify and the other characters are equally appealing or appalling. A very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny but with interesting themes., 15 Nov 2011
I'd never read any Kingsley Amis before reading this, his most famous novel. I found the themes and the characters interesting and I found myself chuckling quite a lot at the absurdity of some of the characters' behaviours. I enjoyed the window into 1950's England, with it's strange social conventions and even stranger personalities! Jim is billed as an anti-hero, but I confess that I quite liked him, mainly due to the fact that he was often thinking exactly what I am thinking in forced, dull social situations. He finds most other people rather dull and uninteresting and I can relate to that! My advice would be to read this very funny book but to have a dictionary to hand as Amis uses quite a lot of archaic langauge that may not be familiar to a modern audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, 19 April 2011
P. Borrington "philipborrington" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
As a huge fan of David Nobbs' Reggie Perrin books I found Jim Dixon a bit of a fore-runner of Reggie. Both are sane men in an insane world, railing against snobbery and authority and dreaming of greener grass over the hill. I would imagine Lucky Jim had quite an impact in the post-war buttoned down 1950s when deference was still seen as a virtue.

Amis doesn't quite maintain the humorous tone throughout and the book drags a little in parts but overall a good and funny read and rightly remembered as a classic of its time.

If you like this try the original Reggie Perrin trilogy, the finest comic novels ever written in my opinion.

Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics)
Lucky Jim (Penguin Modern Classics) by Kingsley Amis (Paperback - 25 May 2000)
6.29