5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Enormous Crocodile

very good
Published 2 months ago by Mrs E M Hansen

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Enormous Crocodile, 4 Jun. 2008
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
The Enormous Crocodile is a hilarious and humorous story for children to read. The story is about a mean crocodile with `secret plans and clever tricks' to eat the children in the village. He disguises himself as many different things to trick the children but he does not succeed. He thinks he is really intelligent but the jungle animals have `secret plans and clever tricks' of their own.

We liked the ending of the story the most, because it was sudden and unexpected. If you read this story you will find why. We also liked when the other animals decided that they had plans of their own.

Although, we did think that Roald could have made this book a bit more exciting by having more surprises and mysteries.

We think that this book would good for ages 5 - 11. This is great book for adults to read to younger children. We think that people who enjoy humorous stories, fiction stories and plots will enjoys this book.

We would give this book 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable for grown-ups to read to little people!, 29 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
We borrowed this one first time round from a friend. My then three year old listened in horror and amazement at the ghastly Dahlish crocodile's determination to devour a child. Sadly the croc never has his main course, only his just deserts!
Second time round, a whole year later he rediscovered the book and we read it together with a two year old: as we reached the last page, my son yelled out the final words with such joy and relish that I decided to buy it for him for Christmas.....meanwhile we have made several excursions to the local library at his insistence to hunt for this book.
The pictures are delightful, and little ones love to point out the croc in all his various diguises as he attempts to sneak up on the unwary.
Definitely a must for a parent or grandparent of a child 2-5 years who likes to snuggle up on your lap with a good book.
In Summary, probably the best book I have read with my child to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reading of a fantastic story., 14 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
Stephen Fry has one of those voices that makes you want to listen. This reading of Roald Dahl's wonderful Enormous Crocodile is brilliant. Fry brings the characters to life.
The enormous crocodile himself has a delicious nastiness which almost makes you wish he succeeds in eating the children and the small crocodile has authentic incredulity at his larger associate's prediliction for crunchy little boys.
But most of all... my little 3 year old boy loves listening to it over and over and over!

5.0 out of 5 stars No the crocodile has got 64 teeth not 100!, 2 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
The enormous crocodile is very cunning and tries to disguise as children's school toys e.g. a see-saw. He's doing this because he wants to eat up all the children he can find. Fortunately, other animals barge in and they spread news to the children to say that they mustn't go on the toy that the crocodile is acting as. At the end something happens to the enormous crocodile and I found it really funny. What I really found funny was that people say that crocodiles have about 100 teeth but I counted them on the front cover and there were only 64! From my point of view, this book was funny, strange, cool and made you want to turn every page.

This interesting story makes you feel like this has really happend at one time. This a good story for children. I enjoyed this book, I read it last year in year two and I found it funny (I'm in year 3 now). I picked this book off the shelf because I love Roald Dahl books and thought even before I read it that it would be a good book, and of course it was. One or two characters were the same in the book as the ones in another Roald Dahl book. This week is book week for my school from Monday to Friday 29th November and two people in my class brought in this book and they gave good comments about it.

A short but funny story for children and to me this is one of my favourite Roald Dahl stories. If you do buy this book, I bet you will like it and if you buy it please enjoy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars read this book!, 3 July 2008
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
the story is about a crocodile who is nasty and cunning.He wants to eat juicy children and he wants to get them by his secret plans and clever tricks.But does he get the children?find out by reading this book.At the end the elephant swings him round and round to the sun to teach him a lesson!

this book is captivating.It has lovely illustaion by quentin blake.I like it because it it is an adventurous book.This book is hilarious!My favourite character was the nasty crocodile.Do yo think the crocodile learnt his lesson at the end?You know what to do find out in this book.
I give this book 10/10
by farah 3H (age 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Enormous Crocodile, 2 July 2008
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
This story is about sneaky crocodile that wants to eat some lovely juicy children. The enormous crocodile has secret plans and clever tricks. He tells the aminals that he is going to eat some lovely children. The animals try to ruin his wicked schemes and teach him a lesson that he will never forget!
This book was amazing.
Hasnain 3J

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 9 July 2012
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
Bought this for my (only just) 3-year-old and he loves it. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to read aloud so is quite long by the standards of his previous books (i.e. MUCH longer than most things by Julia Donaldson, Fairy Tales for Little Children (Usborne Picture Storybooks), I Really Want to Eat a Child but not that much longer than Dr Seuss - The Lorax) and I wasn't sure we'd get to the end of it when it arrived. It turns out it's exciting/gruesome enough to hold his interest and, as he seems to have memorised large chunks of it, we're moving on to The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Enormous Crocodile, 23 May 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
`The Enormous Crocodile' is one of Roald Dahl's big format books and has large colour illustrations throughout. Following an enormous crocodile as he forms various plans to eat local children and how these are foiled at every turn, you will delight in the imagery and turn of phrase used to describe this tale. This is a book that is perfect to read out loud and to share the pictures with little ones. It is also a great book for your first forays into reading alone. Dahl does it again and shows how he was truly the master of his art. Exceptional Enormous Crocodile adventure.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greedy Crocodile, 1 July 2008
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
The story is about a crocodile who is hungry and likes to eat children. The Enormous Crocodile is the greediest crocodile in the entire jungle! My favourite character is the nasty crocodile "SNAP, SNAP!" This book is unmissable!

I think the Enormous Crocodile is the most exciting book in the world, I loved it! When I picked the book up, I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. It was superb, outstanding, stupendous, terrifc, marvellous and exciting! YOU HAVE GOT TO READ IT! It's got lovely illustrations by Quentin Blake.

I give this book 10/10!

Momtaj 3H

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud brilliance!, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Enormous Crocodile (Paperback)
I bought this book to take on holiday to read to my 5 year old son. I was unfamiliar with it, so we read it for the first time together. My son loved the animals' names and how the crocodile had great plans. We read it every day for a week and he enjoyed it every day even though he knew the ending and would remind the crocodile what his fate would be. A great story to read and share, and for early readers to read too! Wonderful!

The Enormous Crocodile
The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl (Audio CD - 27 May 2010)
Used & New from: £8.33