4.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished Chick Lit
Published 5 months ago by William Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Jane's other books..
I have to agree with other reviewers that the main character in this book was depressive. From the start of the book it becomes clear that she lives in the past and doesn't seem to have the skills to deal with family issues like most 40+ women. I didn't find myself rooting for her, I just wanted to see how it ended and I don't like not finishing a book.
I gave it...
Published 8 months ago by louby

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Jane's other books.., 12 April 2014
This review is from: Skeletons (Kindle Edition)
I gave it three stars as the storyline was good, it was the characters that were the let down for me. I really wanted to shake Jen most of the time, she just seemed really pathetic, which is fine if they then come up trumps at the end, but I didn't feel that she did, she was still quite needy.
Jason couldn't have been more boring if he tried, I've heard of families sweeping things under the carpet but this Mastersons

4.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished Chick Lit, 19 July 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skeletons (Paperback)
This is polished chick lit. I don't often read this type of literature, but my partner bought this for me as a gift and I felt obligated to give it a read. I'm happy that I did. Jen, the lead character, discovers that her beloved father-in-law, who is head of a perfect middle England family, has been having a long term affair and has a secret daughter. Jen's dilemma is whether to turn a blind eye to her father-in-law's indiscretions, or to reveal the truth, and risk enormous upset to the other family relations, including her own husband. This tale hasn't converted me to chick lit, but it is an effortless read which hold's one's attention to the end. I think that a classic like Graham Greene's The End of The Affair is a stronger effort at this type of tale. That is to say, if you read The End of The Affair, some of the sentences are so beautifully constructed and poignant, that you marvel at the brilliance of the writer. That won't happen if you read Skeletons, but then it is perhaps unkind to rate most writers by reference to Graham Greene. Suffice to say, I enjoyed Skeletons, it is a nice way to lose yourself from the worries of life for a few hours. If you like this book, I can heartily recommend White City Blue by Tim Lott, which is a similar type of book but written by a male author, and which I would describe as cerebral lad lit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another simply brilliant book - a must read!!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Skeletons (Paperback)
I recently won a signed copy of Getting Rid of Matthew in a competition on twitter. What nostalgia, it brought back happy memories. I just love all her books — she has the fantastic ability to bring to life, ‘real life!' It’s a little like voyeurism looking into the lives of people who could, very easily be my own family or friends.

When I heard she was bringing out her fifth book Skeletons in March of this year I literally couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I was on the list for a proof copy to review from Penguin but saw it up on Netgalley and couldn’t wait. Although, if Penguin still wanted to send me a paper copy I’d just love them forever.

Jen, the main character in this novel is ‘living the life’. Family, or rather her husbands extended family provides everything she needs in life — his parents are closer to her than her own, his sisters her best-friends. Everything is perfect. Which is why, when she discovers a secret that could potentially rock that life she decides to do something about it.

Jane Fallon takes us on an emotional journey as Jen battles to make the right decisions. Trying to protect the family and in doing so discovers things about her own family she didn’t know. Every turn of the page was with anticipation. It really was a roller-coaster of a book. Climbing to the summit only to plunge again, then to rise again with each chapter. Jane developed such good characters, whose lives and emotions were so vivid that I felt real empathy and emotion for them. I liked and disliked the right people, although, as was Jane’s intention my opinions of them changed throughout the novel too. I often found myself silently berating, praying, wishing and hoping for different outcomes as the book developed.

The best type of books in my opinion are books that make me think. This book had me thinking long after the final page. Is it better to turn a blind-eye to keep the status quo or should you unlock a can of worms and hope for the best. Jen, like many people I know in real life did what she did for the good of other people, never once thinking about the consequences of her actions only those of the people around her. Who suffered the most do you think? People only see what we want them to see and do we ever know the whole story?

Another brilliant book, that wasn’t just a ‘nice’ read — it wasn’t predictable although at times I found myself predicting what was coming next, more often than not wrongly! It’s funny how you can see things without seeing, perhaps we should all take a step back and evaluate our own lives — or perhaps not, I for one am happy in my bubble. Cannot wait to get a paper version of this book, hear what other people thought and to re-read to see if I still feel the same about each of the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 30 Mar 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skeletons (Kindle Edition)
This book is really good, enjoyable and entertaining reading.

The reader can feel a connection with the characters, in particular Jen. Although I did not always agree with what she thought, said or did, I could always understand WHY she did these things. She seemed to lack the ability to think ahead clearly on the consequences front.... Yet so many of us are like that in real life too. But this is part of the charm of the book. The characters are credible and believable, and they behave in the less than perfect way that all of us do at times.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone that wants a light hearted and enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really struggled but gets better after 35%, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Skeletons (Kindle Edition)
Skeltons - Jane Fallon (Contains spoilers)

I really struggled with the first 35% of this book it was slow and I didn't particularly care about the characters. After this it did get better. I thought the behaviour of several of the characters odd. Jason leaving and having virtually no contact with Jen was unbelievable. Where was the fallout with Charles/Cass? After a big build up to the secret Cass was pretty much forgotten about and the Mastersons carried on as normal. I thought the end with the baby storyline was disappointing and unnecessary. I was really disappointed as loved Getting Rid of Matthew. I would award this 2.5 stars but cannot do this on Amazon so have given 3.

2.0 out of 5 stars not up to usual standard, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Skeletons (Kindle Edition)
Found this book boring, slow and not up to the authors usual standard. Didn't care about the characters and almost have up reading it many times as nothing was happening and it wasn't page turning. Sorry!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing for Jane Fallon fans!, 20 May 2014
Ms K. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skeletons (Paperback)
I was so looking forward to reading this long awaited book but have to say I found it very irritating & hugely disappointing as I have really loved all Jane Fallon's previous books. Why didnt the main character just talk to her father in law in the first place as this would of been a much stronger & believable storyline. I nearly gave up as it was a hard slog. I am pleased.it was passed onto me & I didnt waste my money buying it. Sorry Jane but just being honest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Skeletons (Paperback)
Having read all of Jane Fallon's other novels and thoroughly enjoying them (especially Getting Rid of Matthew) I was looking forward to reading this one. I was so disappointed, the story was dragged out and didn't get me enthralled at all. Such a shame,

1.0 out of 5 stars Not anything like anything Jane Fallon has written before - It is ..., 12 Nov 2014
J. A. Bain (Monaco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skeletons (Kindle Edition)
Not anything like anything Jane Fallon has written before - It is deadly dull and i am struggling to get through it - persevering but it is really quite bad, so sorry to the author to leave a bad review but its just not up to scratch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Skeletons (Kindle Edition)
Really did not enjoy this book and had to force myself to read to the end. Main character was boring, pathetic and weak and just annoyed me most of the time. Many aspects of the storyline irritated me - not a book I would recommend.

Skeletons
Skeletons by Jane Fallon (Paperback - 27 Mar 2014)