Format: Paperback|Change

This book is really good, enjoyable and entertaining reading.

The reader can feel a connection with the characters, in particular Jen. Although I did not always agree with what she thought, said or did, I could always understand WHY she did these things. She seemed to lack the ability to think ahead clearly on the consequences front.... Yet so many of us are like that in real life too. But this is part of the charm of the book. The characters are credible and believable, and they behave in the less than perfect way that all of us do at times.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone that wants a light hearted and enjoyable read.
on 27 March 2014
I recently won a signed copy of Getting Rid of Matthew in a competition on twitter. What nostalgia, it brought back happy memories. I just love all her books — she has the fantastic ability to bring to life, ‘real life!' It’s a little like voyeurism looking into the lives of people who could, very easily be my own family or friends.

When I heard she was bringing out her fifth book Skeletons in March of this year I literally couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I was on the list for a proof copy to review from Penguin but saw it up on Netgalley and couldn’t wait. Although, if Penguin still wanted to send me a paper copy I’d just love them forever.

Jen, the main character in this novel is ‘living the life’. Family, or rather her husbands extended family provides everything she needs in life — his parents are closer to her than her own, his sisters her best-friends. Everything is perfect. Which is why, when she discovers a secret that could potentially rock that life she decides to do something about it.

Jane Fallon takes us on an emotional journey as Jen battles to make the right decisions. Trying to protect the family and in doing so discovers things about her own family she didn’t know. Every turn of the page was with anticipation. It really was a roller-coaster of a book. Climbing to the summit only to plunge again, then to rise again with each chapter. Jane developed such good characters, whose lives and emotions were so vivid that I felt real empathy and emotion for them. I liked and disliked the right people, although, as was Jane’s intention my opinions of them changed throughout the novel too. I often found myself silently berating, praying, wishing and hoping for different outcomes as the book developed.

The best type of books in my opinion are books that make me think. This book had me thinking long after the final page. Is it better to turn a blind-eye to keep the status quo or should you unlock a can of worms and hope for the best. Jen, like many people I know in real life did what she did for the good of other people, never once thinking about the consequences of her actions only those of the people around her. Who suffered the most do you think? People only see what we want them to see and do we ever know the whole story?

Another brilliant book, that wasn’t just a ‘nice’ read — it wasn’t predictable although at times I found myself predicting what was coming next, more often than not wrongly! It’s funny how you can see things without seeing, perhaps we should all take a step back and evaluate our own lives — or perhaps not, I for one am happy in my bubble. Cannot wait to get a paper version of this book, hear what other people thought and to re-read to see if I still feel the same about each of the characters.
on 8 January 2015
Chick lit with a difference as it makes you think!
I thought the main character was a bit pathetic to start with but slowly her personality started to emerge and by the end of the book she was reinvented as a confident women who had taken control of her life.
Not the ending I would have expected when I first started reading either.
I enjoyed this as it was a bit different while still being easy reading.
on 6 March 2015
This lady writes about real people in real situations. It is a proper grown-up read. All of her characters are equally three dimensional and believable. I cannot recommend this Book highly enough. Or indeed anything written by this Author. Totally authentic. As with her previous work, I sat up til the early hours because I could not bear to leave the characters. 10/10. More please!
on 12 September 2014
My second book by Jane Fallon and I'm hooked. Have just ordered two more :-)
I picked up 'Getting Rid of Matthew' at a book sale and couldn't put it down. Skeletons is just as captivating. Humorous, clever and twists at every point. Highly recommended.
on 12 April 2014
I have to agree with other reviewers that the main character in this book was depressive. From the start of the book it becomes clear that she lives in the past and doesn't seem to have the skills to deal with family issues like most 40+ women. I didn't find myself rooting for her, I just wanted to see how it ended and I don't like not finishing a book.
I gave it three stars as the storyline was good, it was the characters that were the let down for me. I really wanted to shake Jen most of the time, she just seemed really pathetic, which is fine if they then come up trumps at the end, but I didn't feel that she did, she was still quite needy.
Jason couldn't have been more boring if he tried, I've heard of families sweeping things under the carpet but this Mastersons
on 5 April 2014
Persevered with this book for as long as I possibly could but had to admit defeat at 56%. I didn't even read the last few pages to discover the ending such was my lack of interest.
There's a good story in there but told in such a flat and depressing and non hopeful way.
None of the characters came to life for me. I couldn't get to like them or to dislike them. They stayed on the page, wooden and dull.
Disappointing.
Sorry to be so negative.
on 6 April 2014
"What's your book about?" asked my partner when I was 100 pages in. I could summarise the entire plot in seconds at that point and was on the verge of giving up. It does get better and pacier from there so I was glad I persevered.
Unfortunately I disliked the main character and there was just not enough about any of the others to make me care for them either.
I would have liked some chapters from Amelia's perspective and also an awful lot more from Cass and her mother, who was barely mentioned. Jason should have been key but was a non character - I should have been rooting for him but I wasn't.
Easy, quick read - I finished this on a 3 hour train journey - despite it being over 400 pages, it was far more froth than substance. I suspect by next week I won't be able to name any of the characters.
on 5 August 2014
I wasn't sure at first with this book it started a little slow but it soon picked up with all the twists and turns I couldn't put it down! I read it on holiday and had finished it by the middle of the 2nd week. It's very enjoyable and the characters are well written so you do get a picture in your head of them and do get involved in them. The only downside is the ending wasn't rounded enough in my eyes, it was sort of left hanging. But otherwise a good book worth reading.
on 25 January 2016
INCLUDES SPOILERS (SORRY)

Liked Jen and Jason at first, and his family, but when it all came out and they actually all turned on Jen, thought that was horrible and didn't favour them after that! Wasn't her fault! She was stuck in the middle! So glad she didn't end up back with Jason! Guessed that Cass was daughter, so am glad it came out early on. Do love Jane Fallon's books and definitely be continuing with them, but was slightly disappointed with this one.