5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving
Hi! My names Alice and I'm 13 years old.......i live in Suffolk in England and recently when I went camping with family friends I read Chinese Cinderella and was very moved. I wanted to know what happened to Adeline Yan Mai after she went to the English Collage and so read Falling Leaves it is an amazing,powerful book that is well worth a read. I promise you will never...
Published on 6 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Very touching life story but feels bit fake
I randomly picked up this book from the library at work and i am glad I did.
Published on 6 Oct 2010 by M. Mesrobian

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling Leaves a Gem, 11 July 2002
4 stars for this book - Where Wild Swans (5 stars) was a story of Chinese communism, this story is compelling from a personal point of view. Her account of life, her accepting the treatment as if it was quite normal, was both moving and comical. The sad tale of the dog and her duck - you knew what was coming. Being sent to school on the first day and not being collected, then wandering about the streets until she found a refuge in the form of a restaurant. There are bits of it that you wonder why they have been included (snippits of communist China and the Japanese war) but it is unbeleivable that one child can be treated in such a way. I found the account of life in Hong Kong interesting after having been there several times, relating my own knowledge to the written word. This book is enough for me to want to read her others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and powerfully writen, 27 July 2001
By A Customer
I am only 13 but after reading Chinese Cinderella I got this book. I was utterly moved. The story of Adeline Yen Mah is one which you cannot believe is true. And I couldn't put the book down even after reading it for the fifth time. I would recomend this book to anyone who wants a good read and will apreciate the heart rendering story of Adeline Yen Mah. Thankyou.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone, young or old!, 7 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I found 'Falling Leaves' to be a very personal story. I thought Mah wrote from the heart and it was very brave of her to share her heart-breaking story. I couldn't put the book down and when I'd finished I went out and bought 'Chinese cinderella'. I thought 'Falling Leaves' was a much more personal story compared to 'Wild Swans'. I loved the way in which Mah showed her family that she could do well in her life despite their holding her back. I would read her story again and again and think anyone young or old could get something from it. I would love for Mah to write some more great books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very touching life story but feels bit fake, 6 Oct 2010
M. Mesrobian "MM" (London) - See all my reviews
I randomly picked up this book from the library at work and i am glad I did.
It is a very touching story of a chinese daughter who through her childhood was constantly battling, against all odds, to gain the love and support of her family, most of the time unsuccessfully. It is amazing that she has survived it all to become a successful physician and in a loving relationship. It is also shocking to read the mistreatment her own siblings subjected on her.

I was slightly disappointed though, that the book concentrated greatly on providing details on the business dealings of her father, their elaborate lifestyle and travels, and the ongoings in the lives of her many siblings. I would have wanted to hear more about her young life, in more detail, for example how she survived the boarding school. Somehow i felt that the author was trying very hard to write the book in a positive manner but in the process she has left out all the important and little details which would have put the reader more in touch of how actually it was to grow up in those circumstances. At some points, it feels a bit fake.

Overall it is a great read, but somehow there were some moments where I wanted to know more about an experience she had but as i turned the page, the author had already moved on to something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly emotional story!, 28 Mar 2009
A. R. Rai - See all my reviews
Right from the beginning the story line revolves around day to day life. Jealousy and selfishness, evident in most families is portrayed very clearly. I think the book really shows how resilient, most people from developing countries can be in the face of adversity which is in stark comparison to so called developed countries where people present to their General Practitioners at the slightest stress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling Leaves, 23 Mar 2009
Katherine Fletcher "katgirlafraid" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Amazing book.i read it in a day.i read the chinese cinderella before but it doesnt compare to this.a fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars falling leaves, 11 May 2003
dipal (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
i read this book on the reccomendation by a friend. it truly toiuched my heart and i just couldn't put it down. i would hope that the train i was on would have signal problems just so that i could read it longer while on my journey to and from work! the story tells of the political state of the country while telling adeline's heartbreaking story. truly wonderful!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching and emotional, 1 May 2002
By A Customer
This book was passed on to me by my mother whom found it very comical to then call me Adeline. The book is a heartfelt true stroy that had me close to tears more than once. It was deep, thought provoking, and made you feel so very deeply for the 'unwanted chinese daughter'. This is not the book to read when depressed or maybe it is because you know how bad others have had it and you start to realise how lucky you are.
Touching

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of human endurance in the face of many obstacles., 25 Nov 2001
jim.crooks@ntlworld.com (Belfast, Northern Ireland.) - See all my reviews
A well written story telling of the life of a frightened and yet strong willed young girl. She escaped from her intolerable treatment by her step mother by excelling at her education.
The book tells of how the human spirit can hold fast through the worst of times with only the use of the mind as an escape route. The author should be commended on her compassion, as she gives all proceeds from the book sales to help others less well off than herself.The book also gives some insight into twentieth century China.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selfish? I don't think so, 21 May 2001
By A Customer
This story really made me think. Some people say that she should have been thankful for having rich parents, but, trust me, when you're getting told that you're horrible, evil and forced to listen to derogratory comments about yourself, than that's abuse, and no-one should put up with it. I am told daily to just put up with it and that I should be thankful for what I've got, but, I think that I am entitled to speak up. Her sister Susan was a much more better character, though, and we should have a story of her life. It must have to be doubly hard on her, being her own mother yet she still had the strength to leave.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9bdb7d4)

Falling Leaves Return to Their Roots: The True Story of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter
6.99