Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2014
I thought this was a brilliant book - not an easy read though - quite harrowing. The ending was a little abrupt - I reread it a couple of times to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I didn't need a 'happy ending' but would have liked a slightly more rounded finish. I grew up during the Cold War when memories of the Stalinist era were still strong; and Soviet style restrictions were still in place across much of Eastern Europe but I don't think I have ever read such a good description of how it affected people's everyday lives; and how even people who were very careful could be caught out by the system. It is one of those books that really makes you wonder how you would have behaved in such circumstances. Would I have had Andrei and Anna's courage? It is easy to forget the value of freedom of speech now that this history seems so distant - and has little relevance to the post Glasnost generation. But it is a good reminder not to take our current freedoms for granted and to think about people around the world who still live in very restricted regimes.
on 15 May 2015
I love her writing....what a pleasure to have a good book to read.
on 17 January 2015
Excellent product as described and arrived when predicted.
on 28 January 2016
This is a brilliant book by a skilled and empathic writer
on 3 June 2016
Excellent read. It kept me gripped to the last page.
on 21 February 2015
Arrived promptly. Brand new book - very pleased.
on 14 October 2013
Great sequel book to the Siege.

Read the Siege and buy this book afterwards. You wont be disappointed.
I hadnt read books by Helen before, but will be looking to do so now.
Interesting throughout, couldnt put the book down, even though some of the
writing about war torn Russia was difficult to read at times.
A historical book with romance, sadness and laughter.
on 23 April 2015
Follow up on The Siege which was very good too.
on 11 June 2016
Fascinating story, brilliantly told
on 24 August 2013
I bought this book as it is a title on my reading group list, having never been exposed to Helen Dunmore before. This is a beautifully written book; I could not put it down. It starts simply, the tension building slowly but surely. The story takes place in the last year of Stalin's reign and and paints a a terrible and moving picture of the lives of very ordinary people placed in a situation where conscience struggles with the reality of surviving in such a regime. I will definitely be reading more by this author.