5.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous read!
As a big fan of Dawn French as a comic actress, my expectations for this book were very high. And I have to say that I haven't been disappointed.

Published on 22 Oct 2010 by Ms. N. Wright

1.0 out of 5 stars A Tiny Bit Marvellous
Don't buy this book, it's a waste of money, boring, dull and totally unrealistic. I tried really hard to continue reading this book, being a Dawn French fan, but left the half read book on my sunbed, whilst on holiday in Malta. I agree with all the one star reviews it doesn't stand up to all the hype. Dawn stick to television and leave the writing to skilled authors...
Published on 18 Sep 2011 by Paul Butler

1.0 out of 5 stars A Tiny Bit Marvellous, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Paperback)

I gave it one star for the beetroot cake recipe at the back, which wasn't bad. Janette Butler

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge lot rubbish!!, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Paperback)
In common with lots of reviewers, I wanted to like this book but, with its dreary plot (which I'm sure I've read elsewhere) its use of never ending foul language (itself an indication of a lazy writer) and its weak storyline, I though it was dreadful.

As another reviewer has stated, this appears to be a cash in on so called "celebrity status" and is all the poorer for it! When I think of all the talented writers there are in this country, slaving away over their novels or short stories and who will never get published, my blood boils when this tripe gets publicity.

That's several hours of my life I'll never get back!

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous read!, 22 Oct 2010
Ms. N. Wright (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Paperback)

Having been written in a diary format, it could have been tricky to portray the personalities of each of the characters in the prose style itself, but Dawn has done this to much success! It was great to be reading each chapter and have each one be very different to the one before. This really helped to break up the book into manageable sections, rather than the story dragging on for ages without much going on.

As for the story itself, I really enjoyed reading about the interactions between the members of this family from the point of view of everyone, including their opinions on the minutiae of everyday life.

Being easy to read made me want to keep going and discover more about each family member as the chapters went by. It was easy to compare myself and people I know, with the Battles! This book has exceeded my expectations. I knew it was going to be an entertaining read right from the first sentence.

I won a copy of this book (through another website) before publication and this review comes from my review on that website.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm..., 17 Mar 2011
Kevin O'Keefe (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
[Reviewed by Mrs O']

I wanted to really like this book by Dawn French, as I like her as a comedian very much, but I'm afraid this book leaves a lot to be desired - sorry Dawn! The book is about the Battle family who unsurprisingly live up to their title. The characters are all loudly drawn caricatures and leave no room for imagination by the reader. There is a foul-mouthed sulky angry teenage daughter (Dora), an intelligent eccentric gay son (Peter/Oscar) and Mum (Mo), a child-psychologist who obviously has problems with her own children but can solve other parents' children's issues and has a mid-life crisis to boot. So the stage is set in a predictable way that sadly plays out until the end. The book itself I found to be a bit schizophrenic, not knowing who it was really supposed to appeal to. In my opinion it tries a bit too hard to be 'hip' by its use of shocking language from the outset, which did nothing but annoy me right from the very beginning. Additionally the use of modern day teenage 'isms' pitched it at a younger audience, who I feel were probably not the majority audience for a book by Dawn French. Sadly, this book is a 'miss' from me and I suggest you don't read it on the train if you're concerned about people reading over your shoulder, as the level of swearing and foul-mouthed ranting on the pages could cause early morning commuters to have a funny turn!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 5 Dec 2010
Nicola "nicola_in_southyorks" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the story of the Battle family: mother Mo, daughter Dora and son Peter, along with dad and the dog named Poo. It's a pretty dysfunctional family really, with some problems and strange behaviours.

The story is told in fairly short chapters, from the point of view of each of the three main characters, and I thought this was a good device to put across each set of feelings, particularly towards the other characters.

I have to say that when I was reading Mo's segments I just kept hearing Dawn French's voice, even though the character is not really anything like Dawn French. And frankly, Dora is a quite hideous character, and if she was my daughter I would be tempted to disown her. The way she speaks to and about Mo is quite shocking really. I know she's a teenager but even so. Peter was my favourite character. He's otherwise known as Oscar in the book, as he has a real affinity with Oscar Wilde. His sections were amusing and he was a great, quirky character.

I got a bit annoyed with the swearing in the book. Not the level of it, but the words used, as I don't know a single person who uses the majority of the made-up swear words in this book, and again this is where I was hearing Dawn French's particular style.

All in all, I would say this is a reasonable read, and I did enjoy it, but I think the author got away with some poor writing because of who she is. I would still recommend it as a nice, uncomplicated read though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money on this one, 31 Dec 2012
Load of rubbish, got to 6% of the book, not going to read any more. I cannot udnerstand why this was reviewed well on the TV chat shows, presumably because they had Dawn on and wanted to flatter her.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 18 Aug 2011
Soooo boring. Am thinking of givng up at 80%! Characters are lack luster. And what is it with the Mo character! Is French exorcisng her own pseudo psychology ideas and theory, maybe she's just completed a psychology course. it really doesn't stand up to the hype and it doesn't work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight! Can't believe it has such mixed reviews, 19 May 2012
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Paperback)
Reviews on Amazon rarely surprise me. From showers of praise to buckets full of grievances - most reviews have a fair mixture - and that's all down to personal opinion. But criticism for this book, I cannot comprehend. I found this book a delight. Very well written, with French's trademark humour and a deep and complex storyline that almost everyone can relate to. Laugh out-loud moments, a fair few tears and a shock twist ending. This book will keep you on your toes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not marvellous for me, 9 May 2011
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love Dawn French and I was looking forward to reading this book, however it failed to capture my imagination and I stopped reading about quarter of the way through; I then felt a bit guilty that I hadn't given it a fair chance and struggled through to nearly half-way before giving up for good.
It is written in a diary form for the three main characters, changing the prose style to match the character, sometimes using some very strong language. The characters are part of a dysfunctional family, the Battles, and follow Mo, the mother, Dora the daughter and Oscar the son as they go about their daily lives, revising for exams, falling in and out of love and in the case of Mo, worrying about her children and her job. As a television observational sitcom it would probably have worked but as a book I just found the characters annoying and it destroyed any comedy in the situation, sorry.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Huge Bit Tedious, 29 Dec 2010
Shirley Davis "Shirl D" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Hardcover)
I have always admired Dawn French as a comedy actress and collaborative writer. But it seems this experience does not automatically make an accomplished authoress. Note: I have not read any other reviews before writing my own opinion.

I saw Dawn French on The Book Show (Sky Arts 1) when Mariella Frostrup interviewed her with respect this title. Having received the book and tried to read it, I can see how clever Dawn was at putting across her material to a target audience...

Book Show viewers are more likely to appreciate literary fiction - yes? We are not necessarily highbrow academics but we do enjoy whatever we see as a 'good read', often a book whose author is interviewed on this show.

By the time Dawn's interview was over, I was expecting her novel to be a witty Joanna Trollope mixed with the narrative insight of Maeve Binchy and the wisdom of many other contemporary authors who set their themes in the family. The age-old tension of mother-daughter relationships drew me in.

The first page threw me out.
I can read bad vernacular but narrative that is littered with it...NO. Less is more, Dawn.
I can appreciate multi-viewpoint devices but simply writing diary-style from each character's view with very little narrative guidelines...per-lease!

I did not get past Chapter Two before leafing forwards to see if the novel would change direction...but no, Dawn has implemented a writing style that I think (without-any-absolute foundation) indicates her background. Surely, this is a script rather than a well-crafted work of fiction?

It really is not for me and if, when I finally read the other reviews, I am in the minority, I will still publish this review. And still admire Dawn whenever she appears on the TV screen or through my DVD player.

A Tiny Bit Marvellous
A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French (Paperback - 23 Jun 2011)
5.45