4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
Published on 10 Dec. 2009 by M. Dowden

2.0 out of 5 stars A book for fans that retreads too much old ground.
For those who stumbled onto this book by accident and are intrigued by the cover the Assassin's Creed series is actually a popular video game franchise which follows different Assassins through various periods of history.

Published 4 months ago by FallenGrace

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 10 Dec. 2009
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I didn't really know what to espect when I decided to read this novel. I have never played the game Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360), which this is based on, and only had a slim idea of what the game is about. I didn't have high hopes for this book, being a game tie-in I just hoped for a quick action packed read, and it did deliver on that score, and indeed was much better than I had expected.

The story takes place between 1476-1503, thus proceeding over a number of years, indeed during 'interesting times'. The renaissance was in full swing in Italy when this story takes place. Our hero, Ezio Auditore witnesses the hanging of his father and two brothers and swears vengeance. It is then that he starts learning things, such as that he is descended from the Order of Assassins, who are out to prevent those descendants of the Templars from gaining their goal of world domination. Whilst learning the Assassin's Creed Ezio must overthrow the Templars.

What follows is a grand romp through the Italian renaissance, taking in the de' Medicis, the Borgias, da Vinci, Machiavelli, the Sforzas, and Savonarola and his 'bonfires of the vanities'. Whilst locating pages from a Codex, battling foes and helping others, Ezio makes friends and allies to help him on his what has become a quest. With loads of swashbuckling and derring-do, and some romance, will Ezio be able to prevent the Templar conspiracy from obtaining its predominance, and will we also find out who the prophet that has been foretold really is?

A good historical tale this also incorporates a little bit of sci-fi/fantasy, and should appeal to a large number of readers. If you have never played the game it doesn't matter, and you shouldn't let that put you off. If you have played the game I don't know if this novel will help you win, but it may add a different and more absorbing level to the game, and your playing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing book, 14 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
This is a really absorbing book in the Assassins Creed universe. The majority of it is re-writing the 2nd game, but the extra details added, like the DLC sections, make it a fascinating read. Read it slowly, try to imagine the characters voices, and you'll love this book. If you're an Assassins Creed fan, obviously. If you haven't played the games and had this bought for you, or you bought it yourself, you might find it underwhelming and unrealistic, but for fans this is excellent.

I find myself turning the pages even faster towards the end, interested in how the author would close out the book. I won't reveal anything but it's a direct continuation onto AC Brotherhood, so I recommend you buy that book as well and read it after this book. An excellent book, and more are coming in the future I'm sure. A book based on the original is coming out in 2012, it's here on Amazon somewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book for fans that retreads too much old ground., 11 Dec. 2014
FallenGrace (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Renaissance is the first of many novels based off the series, most specifically it focuses on a young man from Assassin's Creed II called Ezio Auditore. The plot follows the almost never ending war between the Assassins who believe in freedom with the creed "nothing is true, everything is permitted" and the Templars who believe in control for the benefit of the masses.

Set in the Italian Renaissance it follows Ezio's journey from a cocky young street punk to leader of the Assassin order which is essentially a series of revenge killings with no real depth. As a computer game with voice acting, gameplay mechanics, side quests and atmosphere this worked perfectly well. As a book however it lacks depth and is simply formulaic, the names change but other wish each section of the book is the same.

The problem is that this book is simply Assassin's Creed II almost exactly. I really expected a deeper look into the characters, and more of a side story companion to the game, instead it's almost the script written down.

The other problem in regards to that is although a book aimed at English speaking peaple there are random Italian words thrown in here and there which once again kind of worked with the game but is just a pain to leap to the index for translations for words here and there, it just doesn't work.

I got enough enjoyment as a fairly large series fan to finish the novel and Ezio even here still manages to be fairly charming but it was otherwise an uninspiring read that adds nothing new for fans but lacks any real depth of character for anyone who isn't a fan either.

I wouldn't read others in the series based on this unless they are spin off stories to add meat to the universe.

+ Is a return to Assassin's Creed II!
+ Ezio is still likeable when allowed be.

- Is a return to Assassin's Creed II...
- Random Italian words are pointless.
- Adds nothing new for fans, not deep enough for newcomers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book of the game., 7 May 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I personally love The Assassins creed series, the games are great and so are the books, the books are literately the story of the games, but with out all the Animus and Desmond crap that are only in the games. The books also get more in-depth about Ezio and that characters featured in the game. I found it quite an enjoyable read, quite light hearted and fun to engage in. The writing skill is not very complex and the dialogue isn't hard to understand. Only one snag, there are some pages with small parts of Italian, luckily there is a dictionary at the back. it was just a pain flipping pages, but it was worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Play the game again instead of reading this book, 10 Nov. 2011
I actually bought this book from the Penguin Books website as soon as it came out. I was excited about the Assassin's Creed novels, ever since The Invisible Imam had been announced. Just think how much could have been told with the books that could not fit into the games! In my imagination the stories told on paper would let you revisit the beautiful, but limited scenes of ancient times depicted by the games, set the historic decorations with more authenticity than a game ever could, and trace the story of assassins through it. Of course, I didn't expect an instant classic, but I had no idea that something offering as much freedom for creativity as Assassin's Creed series could be made into a book so... awkwardly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gamer, I can handle l33t and even lolspeak (not that these were used in the book, don't worry), but I'm also an avid reader; so even though I do prefer classics to anything else, a little bad dialogue and historical mistakes generally can't put me off. In short, I normally wouldn't judge a game-based book too harshly - especially if it's about the game I loved.

However, Oliver Bowden's creation really managed to annoy me to hell. I frankly don't even know where to start - the poorly depicted characters, the bad dialogue, modern swearing, or the use of Italian language in and out of place, similar to use of sprinkles on a really bad pie. (Or, better illustrated in this comic: [...])

I had to come back to the book a few times to finish it, merely because it almost made me hate the game, exaggerating all the little things that could tick you off - and it's not just the conveniently-random use of Italian. I mean, learning to blend in part, already mentioned by one of the reviewers, is ok in the game, because well, it's part of the game - but reading an actual passage about that in a book is just ridiculous. Why don't you also put into the story how Ezio collects extra cash by walking around town bumping into people in between missions?

Perhaps my mistake was that I expected a game-inspired book, and I received a typical product of today's pop culture marketing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a video game!, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I truly loved reading this book. Typically, I'm not much of a book person but since I enjoyed the game so much I thought I'd give this a go and was instantly hooked. If you haven't played the game then please don't let that put you off - you don't need to know anything about the game at all to understand it. The only advantage of knowing the game is that you can easily put the faces and voices to the characters.

The story is gripping and the historical references have made me interested in looking up the real locations and events, and also asking my wife if we can visit Florence sometime to see the real place!

I also recommend the soundtrack to Assassin's Creed 2 which is available on iTunes. It's the perfect accompaniment to listen to whilst reading the book for maximum escapism!

Looking forward to reading the sequel and finding out what happens next as the climax of the book makes you eager to read more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not like a guide at all!, 23 Jan. 2011
Gemma Matheson (DUNDEE, Angus, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I read the reviews on here before buying this book, saw it was basically a lengthly guide and didn't purchase it. Saw it in a charity book sale and got it. Having played the game to completion and having the guide from a birthday ago I can tell you it is nothing like a guide. Worth reading, even if you haven't played the game!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning to the Assassin`s Creed book series, 22 April 2013
This book had it all; the suspense, the action, the mystery and the conclusion. It is a timeline through the beginning stages of Ezio`s Assassin recruitment, how he gained the skill he has which you may ponder if you play the games past AC2, and his mysterious personal affairs. It took me a while to become engaged with the plot, for I am a huge fan of the Assassin`s creed franchise and decided to start on the books, and bought it on my Kindle Fire without any thought. This ruined it. I recommend you buying the actual book, if you can, because it's the type of genre which you want to feel involved in and actually hold a solid copy and flick backwards when things get confusing, (which is possible near the end on the events of the `Pieces of Eden`). I am now reading Brotherhood, second in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and truly epic book, came in pristine condition., 18 July 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
This book, alongside the other books of the Assassins Creed series written by Oliver Bowden, is awesome. Oliver Bowden is an amazing author.

The book came in perfect condition, not a scratch at all. I also had good delivery on this item, it came within only a few days after ordering even with the free 3-5 days option.

This is the second book in the series and I suggest, as a fan of Assassins Creed myself, if you are a fan of the Assassins Creed games or even if your just reading the books (the first book is The Secret Crusade which is the tale of Altair) I suggest that you buy this book.

The pricing is very good, compared to book shops this website usually does a better price which is most certainly good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good novelisation, 1 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
Despite that at times it can be somewhat too descriptive it is a very good read and novelisation of the game and a definite must read for assassins creed fans. great historical fiction story couldn't put it down!

Assassin's Creed: Renaissance
Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden (Paperback - 26 Nov. 2009)