4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining

1.0 out of 5 stars Play the game again instead of reading this book
Published on 10 Nov 2011 by Jessie

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 10 Dec 2009
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I didn't really know what to espect when I decided to read this novel. I have never played the game Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360), which this is based on, and only had a slim idea of what the game is about. I didn't have high hopes for this book, being a game tie-in I just hoped for a quick action packed read, and it did deliver on that score, and indeed was much better than I had expected.

The story takes place between 1476-1503, thus proceeding over a number of years, indeed during 'interesting times'. The renaissance was in full swing in Italy when this story takes place. Our hero, Ezio Auditore witnesses the hanging of his father and two brothers and swears vengeance. It is then that he starts learning things, such as that he is descended from the Order of Assassins, who are out to prevent those descendants of the Templars from gaining their goal of world domination. Whilst learning the Assassin's Creed Ezio must overthrow the Templars.

What follows is a grand romp through the Italian renaissance, taking in the de' Medicis, the Borgias, da Vinci, Machiavelli, the Sforzas, and Savonarola and his 'bonfires of the vanities'. Whilst locating pages from a Codex, battling foes and helping others, Ezio makes friends and allies to help him on his what has become a quest. With loads of swashbuckling and derring-do, and some romance, will Ezio be able to prevent the Templar conspiracy from obtaining its predominance, and will we also find out who the prophet that has been foretold really is?

A good historical tale this also incorporates a little bit of sci-fi/fantasy, and should appeal to a large number of readers. If you have never played the game it doesn't matter, and you shouldn't let that put you off. If you have played the game I don't know if this novel will help you win, but it may add a different and more absorbing level to the game, and your playing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing book, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
This is a really absorbing book in the Assassins Creed universe. The majority of it is re-writing the 2nd game, but the extra details added, like the DLC sections, make it a fascinating read. Read it slowly, try to imagine the characters voices, and you'll love this book. If you're an Assassins Creed fan, obviously. If you haven't played the games and had this bought for you, or you bought it yourself, you might find it underwhelming and unrealistic, but for fans this is excellent.

I find myself turning the pages even faster towards the end, interested in how the author would close out the book. I won't reveal anything but it's a direct continuation onto AC Brotherhood, so I recommend you buy that book as well and read it after this book. An excellent book, and more are coming in the future I'm sure. A book based on the original is coming out in 2012, it's here on Amazon somewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Play the game again instead of reading this book, 10 Nov 2011
I actually bought this book from the Penguin Books website as soon as it came out. I was excited about the Assassin's Creed novels, ever since The Invisible Imam had been announced. Just think how much could have been told with the books that could not fit into the games! In my imagination the stories told on paper would let you revisit the beautiful, but limited scenes of ancient times depicted by the games, set the historic decorations with more authenticity than a game ever could, and trace the story of assassins through it. Of course, I didn't expect an instant classic, but I had no idea that something offering as much freedom for creativity as Assassin's Creed series could be made into a book so... awkwardly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gamer, I can handle l33t and even lolspeak (not that these were used in the book, don't worry), but I'm also an avid reader; so even though I do prefer classics to anything else, a little bad dialogue and historical mistakes generally can't put me off. In short, I normally wouldn't judge a game-based book too harshly - especially if it's about the game I loved.

However, Oliver Bowden's creation really managed to annoy me to hell. I frankly don't even know where to start - the poorly depicted characters, the bad dialogue, modern swearing, or the use of Italian language in and out of place, similar to use of sprinkles on a really bad pie. (Or, better illustrated in this comic: [...])

I had to come back to the book a few times to finish it, merely because it almost made me hate the game, exaggerating all the little things that could tick you off - and it's not just the conveniently-random use of Italian. I mean, learning to blend in part, already mentioned by one of the reviewers, is ok in the game, because well, it's part of the game - but reading an actual passage about that in a book is just ridiculous. Why don't you also put into the story how Ezio collects extra cash by walking around town bumping into people in between missions?

Perhaps my mistake was that I expected a game-inspired book, and I received a typical product of today's pop culture marketing...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book of the game., 7 May 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I personally love The Assassins creed series, the games are great and so are the books, the books are literately the story of the games, but with out all the Animus and Desmond crap that are only in the games. The books also get more in-depth about Ezio and that characters featured in the game. I found it quite an enjoyable read, quite light hearted and fun to engage in. The writing skill is not very complex and the dialogue isn't hard to understand. Only one snag, there are some pages with small parts of Italian, luckily there is a dictionary at the back. it was just a pain flipping pages, but it was worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good novelisation, 1 Mar 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
Despite that at times it can be somewhat too descriptive it is a very good read and novelisation of the game and a definite must read for assassins creed fans. great historical fiction story couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Assassins Creed Renaissance, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
The product came in a perfect state. The book is great and the plot even more worthy. Will definitity continue to buy from amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars plenty of action- strange ending., 3 Feb 2011
Ashley (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
An entertaining read with plenty of action and assassinations taking place throughout. Even though some of Ezio's capabilities are a little far-fetched, they are still feats a human could achieve. The ending however is a little too supernatural for my liking. Nevertheless, on the whole, i did really enjoy this book and am looking forward to reading The Brotherhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not like a guide at all!, 23 Jan 2011
Gemma Matheson (DUNDEE, Angus, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I read the reviews on here before buying this book, saw it was basically a lengthly guide and didn't purchase it. Saw it in a charity book sale and got it. Having played the game to completion and having the guide from a birthday ago I can tell you it is nothing like a guide. Worth reading, even if you haven't played the game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a video game!, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
I truly loved reading this book. Typically, I'm not much of a book person but since I enjoyed the game so much I thought I'd give this a go and was instantly hooked. If you haven't played the game then please don't let that put you off - you don't need to know anything about the game at all to understand it. The only advantage of knowing the game is that you can easily put the faces and voices to the characters.

The story is gripping and the historical references have made me interested in looking up the real locations and events, and also asking my wife if we can visit Florence sometime to see the real place!

I also recommend the soundtrack to Assassin's Creed 2 which is available on iTunes. It's the perfect accompaniment to listen to whilst reading the book for maximum escapism!

Looking forward to reading the sequel and finding out what happens next as the climax of the book makes you eager to read more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like the Game? I Say No!, 17 Aug 2010
A. Hutt "Electric Woman" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Paperback)
Assassin's Creed Renaissance takes you through the events of Ezio Auditore da Firenze life between 1476 and 1499. In this way it is the same as the video game.

But that's it!

The book fills in the blanks that a fast paced game like Assassin's Creed II skims over. In this delightful read you find out more of his family and what happens to them. More of Cristina Vespucci, his first love. We get to see a softer side to Ezio as he grows older and thinks of the life taken from him, we see him interact with his friend Leonardo Da Vinci and learn more of Italy through the places Ezio visits.
If you have played the game, you will know the plot, the characters and locations, but you will get to know them on a deeper, more complete level.
If you havn't played the game, this is a wonderful book that gives you a glimps into the life of an Assassin, and remember,

Nulla é reale, tutto é lecito
(Nothing is true, everything is permitted)

Assassin's Creed: Renaissance
Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Anton Gill (Paperback - 26 Nov 2009)
3.50