5.0 out of 5 stars A truly haunting story...
Published on 2 Feb 2004 by Sue Lewendon

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read
Published on 5 April 2012 by Chrissie

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly haunting story..., 2 Feb 2004
Sue Lewendon "Film fanatic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
I bought this book because it had some good reviews and because I fancied a change of author. This was possibly the best decision I have made so far this year! The story of Mary is completely awe inspiring. I would never have contemplated what life was like for those poor people who were transported, but now I can't stop thinking about them and the terrible hardships they must have faced.
Mary truly was a remarkable woman. I know that if it had been me in her place, I would have succommed to death at the first step of her journey.
Lesley has told this story with great admiration and respect for all those involved. The characters have really been brought to life once again.
I think that's what makes it such a good story, the fact that it really happened. It is just a shame that nothing else is known about her life where the book leaves her.
I have complete admiration for Lesley and know that I will be reading all her other books.
If this doesn't sound like your kind of book, all I can say is that it wasn't mine either, but it is possibly the best book I've ever read. So do yourself a favour and spend the couple of pounds on it, it's well worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and brilliant read!, 28 Feb 2004
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
Tells of the first convicts who were sent to Botany Bay and their fight for survival. In particular Mary, who had the most incredible courage and resilience. Even more amazing when it's based on a true story.
Horrifying, the conditions they were kept in. Locked away in the hold of the ships, starving, lying in their own mess, riddled with lice and overun with rats. It was therefore not a surprise that many died of disease and illness on the long journey.
Heartbreaking, when they finally arrived, many of them no more that animals, to find that it wasn't quite what they had expected and their fight for survival had only just begun.
A brilliant book that will have you hooked from the start - it certainly kept me up all night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically interesting, gripping and relaxing, 5 May 2004
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
This book is based on a true story of a young woman who, after petty theft, is deported to Australia as part of the very first group of 'criminals' to be sent there. The hardships she (and the colony) face are horrifying and heartbreaking but the positive happenings are happy and lovely, all very well written. (makes you want to read and read)!

Ms. Pearse has managed to write a fabulous novel. Once you reach the end of the book you so much want to read and learn more about the life of the 'heroine'. Shame no more is known about her.
I totally recommend this book to anyone, it's a fantastic read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!!, 1 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Remember Me (Hardcover)
This book is definitely one of Lesley Pearce's best set in 1786. It is a story about a very strong woman called Mary and her determination through many devastating life events. Mary is caught stealing a hat and is sentenced to hang for her crimes. However she gets 'transported' to a new prison colony in Australia. Mary is so pleased to have escaped hanging that she looks forward to a move across the world to make a fresh start. However when she arrives (and throughout the journey there) life is not as it seems........
This is a fantastic book, it had me in tears for large portions of it and the most devastating thing was that it was based on a true story. I couldn't put this book down and despite it being over 500 pages long I finished it in a day! Highly recommended...... The ending is a bit disappointing but the authors note at the end of the novel makes up for the swift conclusion of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional roller-coster of a lifetime, 16 July 2004
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
Another truly phenomenal epic by Lesley Pearse...Once again she provides us all with an outstandingly emotional read but this times it is better than any of my, or anyone else's expectations. A true story of Mary Broad, a young women convicted of highway robbery - sentenced to death but escapes that punishment only to face a journey which is worse than death. I can guarantee that you will not be able to lay this book down and that you will be reduced to tears no less than 5 times (as I was!) Hardships are over come as once again you go on a journey with a head-strong and passionate young woman. An un-missable book - if you have not read it yet you are missing out on a fantastic read and you should definitely purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, moving and riveting, 15 Feb 2004
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
Having read many of Lesley Pearse's other books, I couldn't wait to start on this one. I wasn't disappointed. The story pulls you in from the very start and with it's interesting and vibrant characters, leaves you wanting to know more. I was very inspired by Mary's battle for survival, with the tragedy she experiences often reducing me to tears. This made even more poignant by the fact that it is based on a true story. I fully recommend this as a fantastic read, that is comparable to others that Lesley has written.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing true story of bravery, 28 Mar 2004
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
This book is truely remarkable and most definitely unputdownable. Lesley Pearce makes the individual characters come alive and the way in which she describes the scenery and landscapes are amazing! Being from Cornwall myself gave it a special meaning for me also but I would definitely recommend this book to any book lover. When I first picked up the book I thought it was not for me as I don't usually go for stories set so long ago but I now realise that not to have read this book would have been a travesty. Beyond any doubt the best book I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unputdownable, 8 May 2004
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
I envy you if you have the treat in store of reading this book for the first time! I found it difficult to tear myself away from it to do anything else, and was truly sad to come to the last page. It's well written and easy to read, and has wonderful characters which reminded me of other books that draw you into them, such as 'Gone with the wind'. I recommend this to anyone who wants a really good read...

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
I do feel uncomfortable after reading a book that attracts lots of 5 star reviews when I'm left with a feeling that I've missed something. As an avid reader I do concede that there's often busy times in my life when I can't give a book my full attention & therefore do not get as engrossed as I want to. Such was the case with this book. Not wishing to take anything away from the author or the heroine, but I felt I could take or leave it. I reminded myself constantly that it was based on a true story and social conditions at the time were extremely harsh. I expected to feel more sympathy for everyone involved but something was holding me back from enjoying the book. Maybe it was the injustices of the time along with horrendous conditions on land and at sea. Had I allowed myself to really imagine what it must have been like I could have got lost in feeling upset for everyone.

There was lots of drama & some romance to enjoy, but also intense sadness at the fate of some characters. I did finish the book & by that time I felt more optimistic for Mary. After all, she had proved herself to be a gutsy, dynamic & brave lady. Qualities that would surely help her in her future life. I would love to read a real account of her life as long as I could trust myself to read the unpleasant parts of it without getting angry or upset & wanting to change things for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure tissues at hand!, 21 Jun 2004
This review is from: Remember Me (Paperback)
What an amazing book. I didn't think it was possible to get that emotionally involved in a book. The way Lesley Pearse writes made me hear, see, smell and feel everything the characters did. The only times I could (had to) put the book down, were when my eyes were so full of tears my vision was blurry. The storey is beautifully written and a must read. My review cannot do the book enough justice - just read it yourself and be overwhelmed!

Remember Me
Remember Me by Lesley Pearse (Paperback - 29 Jan 2004)
5.59