5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional journey
Published on 5 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Same again
Same sort of story again. Have read most of Lesley Pearses books and will give them a rest. HAve enjoyed them but the storylines are all similar.
Published 11 months ago by andrea

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional journey, 5 Mar 2004
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
This was the first book by Lesley Pearse I had read and it was fantastic. It's all about two sisters who are put in an orphanage after their father goes to prison accused of killing their mother. Whilst in the orphanage the nuns are cruel and they dream of escaping. This dream becomes a reality as they are offered a "new life" in Australia but the Australia they are promised is not the Australia they go to. They end up in another orphanage where the nuns are as cruel if not crueler than the ones they had left. The story follows both sisters lives and it shows how their traumatic childhood experiences affect their adult lives. I really cried at parts in this book especially as it was loosely based on the true story of children shipped to Australia after the war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, Unputdownable Read, 5 July 2001
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
Lesley Pearse delights yet again.I just finished reading this book and am experiencing withdrawl symptoms!! The story was so tragic and so moving because it is based on the sad realities of orphanages in Australia during the 50's and 60's.After I finished this book I lay awake for a long time thinking about children in those orphanages and how they were treated. There is so much sadness in this book.
It is well written and gripping. It is very difficult to stop reading. The characters are well developed. I loved this book....but be prepared: this book is packed with emotion and sadness. It is not a lighthearted read. However, I loved it and would reccomend it thoroughly. Lesley Pearse truly is a marvelous storyteller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, unmissable read!, 16 Sep 2003
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
I've just finished reading this book for the third time! It is still as good as the first time. I don't know how Lesley Pearse does it, she is an amazing author. This book follows the life of two sisters, Dulcie and May Taylor from London to Australia. You grow up with the two sisters and share their cruel, harsh childhoods and watch them develop into adults and see the way their and others incredible pasts effect every aspect of their lives. The way Lesley writes her books makes you feel that you really know the characters as if they were part of own life. This book really takes you through the emotions, you will laugh, cry, be shocked, be sad and happy with each page that you turn. This is a compulsive read and is very difficult to put down, I had it forced out of my hands several times!! Read the book and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad, harowing story that stays in your mind forever, 19 Nov 2001
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
"Trust Me" was my 5th Lelsey Peace novel and I think the best ever!
Lesley manages to descibe the awful experiences of these 2 sisters in such realistic detail that you imagine you are with them amongst the flies and heat of Oz, or hiding from those cruel Nuns waiting for their parents to return?
She manages to combine a rivetting fictional story with researched true-life experiences of real "evacuees" in a way that just keeps you crying.
A fantastic yet distressing read...you'll keep reliving the awful experiences the children endured , and the effect it had on their grown up lifes months after you put the book down.
Read it, you'll love it too!! (Hankies required)

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I still reccomend to people, 31 Aug 2005
Tracey (UK, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
I read Trust Me a long time ago and its a book I still think about to this day and I still tell people to go and read it.
After I finished this book I had to go online and find out what I could about the subject matter and I was shocked to read about kids who were now all grown up and were trying to trace family members, I remember reading about a man who was going to come to the UK to see his mum but he ended up coming over for her funeral as she died not long before he was due. I just sat and cried. I never knew anything like that had happened during the war.
The way Lesley Pearse wrote about her characters was brilliant, I couldn't read this book fast enough because I had to know what happened.
I was sad to finish this book and say goodbye to the people I had really began to care about.

5.0 out of 5 stars LESLEY HAS DONE IT AGAIN, 18 April 2001
JAN SULLIVAN - LONDON
I have read every single one of Lesley Pearce's books and this one doesn't disappoint. From the very beginning you fall in love with Dulcie and May - two little girls who have a caring Father and a neglectful Mother. We follow their lives from Hither Green to Australia. The cruel world of the church and how it was a cover for evil and harsh treatment takes your breath away. Having gone to a convent school myself and seen how nuns can be so cruel nothing prepared me for the harsh reality and treatment that Dulcie and May receive. How sad that children were shipped over to Australia like cargo, with not a thought of their well being and happiness. Though these characters are fictional, this really did happen all those years ago and sadly destroyed so many lives. A wonderful book that you simply can't put down. At one point I had tears streaming down my face. I read this book in a week and was so sad to come to the end. I can't wait for the next one Lesley - you really are a wonderful story teller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my God..., 19 Jun 2003
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
I can not explain what this book means to me, but it was one of the best books I have ever read. This books had me going through a variety of emotions, you were crying, then smiling then shocked. I did not know about the behaviour of shipping orphans to Australia, and them being abused, some of the things described were too sad to handle. Although I think you are meant to dislike May, I did like her and felt sorry for her, although she was a bit nasty, and the head nun's behaviour was diabolical. Although Ross was not the nicest of men, I felt really sorry for him and when he reveals his ordeal to Dulcie, you relive the emotions you felt again. Although the ending was quite predictable, it was the way I wantd it to end, as I loved Dulcie and my heart went out to her. This book is so fantastic, even if I had not enjoyed the Dulcie saga, it would ahve been worthwhile reading this book, just to know about the behaviour of such people in such places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Lesley Pearce, 13 Oct 2003
Jenny (Suffolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
I have read a 2 of Lesley Pearce's books now and they are 2 of the best books I have ever read. They captivate the reader throughout the whole book, you just dont want to put it down.
The story comes across as very real and will touch even the untouchable of hearts. The descriptions of the thoughts and feelings of the characters just make the whole book come to life and again makes it very very real.
Well done Ms Pearce and I look forward to reading the rest of your novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book affected me for weeks, 17 Jan 2003
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
This is one of the most amazing books I have read.
After reading this book I could not stop thinking about the characters I had encountered. The author makes them so real, you feel you know them, and are then affected by what happens in the book. It is all so real, but what is sad is that you know that the book is well researched and a lot of what happens in the book is based around real events, such as the treatment endured by the Orphans.
I would recommend this book to anyone, I have read a number of books by the author and nothing comes close to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars tear jerker, 23 July 2002
This review is from: Trust Me (Paperback)
so many things happen in this book its hard to know where to begin. the book is a story about two sisters and it goes through their lifes which includes being a orphan, marriage, divorce, abuse, pregnancy, death everything life could ever throw at you this a absolotly brilliant book

Trust Me
Trust Me by Lesley Pearse (Paperback - 18 Mar 2001)
6.39