5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredibly Well-Researched and Memorable Story
This epic, moving and awe-inspiring work of fiction is perhaps the greatest evidence of Lesley Pearse' commitment to extensive research and attention to detail.

It tells in incredible detail the ENTIRE life story of a London-born woman named Matilda Jennings. Her life begins in dire poverty and gradually progresses through an incredible amount of experiences,...
Published on 9 Mar. 2008 by Elizabeth Gershwin

3.0 out of 5 stars I do love Lesley's books! wonderful author
Published on 17 Oct. 2011 by Rachel Henry

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this brilliant book by it's cover!, 24 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
I wish I knew who decided to give this book it's dreadful cover because they certainly had not read it first! Matty is a flower seller from the slums of early Victorian London, one day she saves a young child about to fall under the wheels of a carriage and her life changes dramatically. The child's parents Giles and Lily decide to give Matty a chance and employ her as a maid, when Giles in his post as a church of England minister is posted to America Matty travels with them. There Matty dedicates herself to their family and has almost no thought of a life of her own. She and Giles set up and run a rescue foundation for orphaned children from the dreadful slums of New York. Such a lot happens in this tale that I don't want to give too much away but from here on Matty's life seems to be one tragedy after another. But Matty is a strong woman and always looks forward, travelling to the gold rush capital of San Francisco she becomes a successful business woman and uses her power to help the weak and vulnerable. It is here that she finally meets the love of her life Captain James Russell. This could be classed as an "Epic Saga" but really it is a story that many woman of her time would have recognised. Matty knows that she has to carry on no matter what, and it is this that gives her, her wonderfully strong character. Please don't be put off by the jacket, read this book and I promise you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book ever, 22 Jan. 2005
Never Look Back has got to be my favourite book, and written by Lesley Pearse who can be surprised? I first read this book when i was 14 and I love it as much now as i did then. Lesley has a way of bonding you with the main character in such a way that you feel every emotion matty feels and its as though you've endured the hardships she has. It brought me to tears on several occasions, and i usually pride myself on being a hardnut with no emotions. I recomend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Look Back, 23 Nov. 2003
M T Roberts (Washington, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading 'Never Look Back'and I am so sorry that I have now read it. It was amazing, I just could not put it down. Your characters are so real. My own grandmother emigrated to USA early 1900 and she went through Ellis Island, I have not been able to trace her from there, only that she was going to Scranton, Penns. but I could relate to Mathilda all the way through your book.
I have read all of them now, bar your latest one, and I can't wait to get 'my hands' on it
Please keep up the good work.
I really do feel sad that I have finished it, there dosn't seem as if there is any thing to look forward to
Best Wishes for Christmas and busy and prosperous New Year
Marie T Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars I do love Lesley's books! wonderful author, 17 Oct. 2011
Well I have to big up our Lesley as her writing is pure quality! I have never started one of her books and not finished it. Her plots are gripping, descriptions vivid and her research, well lets just say other authors should take a leaf out of her book and get it right! I loved the story line yet I cant lie this book is depressing everyone dies EVERYONE! I understand that for the times its written about life expectancy was a lot shorter than today but the deaths started getting really predicable. Which did leave me slightly frustrated and feeling like how will this story end if everyone just dies dies dies. Well off now to read the end of it. I really do hope the ending leaves me feeling as satisfied as the others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Saga - Never Look Back - Work of Art, 16 Jun. 2011
Mrs. V. Leete "Vanessa" (Great Yarmouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Never Look Back (Paperback)
I have read many Lesley Pearse books, and they are all brilliant, but 'Never Look Back is a work of art and the best book I have ever read.

Matilda Jennings was very poor and selling flowers in London from the age of 10. One day she had finished for the day, when she caught a little girl being nearly run over in front of coach and horses and she would have been killed, Matty saved her life, her parents Reverend Giles Milson and his wife thanked her and they invited her back to there house, while she was there she was offered a job as a nursemaid to there daughter Tabitha, the job takes Matty from London to New York, Missouri,later on Matty travels to Oregon and onto San Francisco.

The journey from Missouri to Oregon Matty meets Captain James Russell and they become firm friends, but then they do not see each other again for 5 years, until they meet again by accident in San Francisco, and he becomes the love of her life, the romance between them was wonderful. Such a lot happens in Matty life, I have never known one girl to have so much misery and lose so many people she loves.

This book has over 700 pages, and every page is worth reading, so many times I had to put the book down, as I could not stop the tears running down my face, especially when one of the characters in the book dies, I was sobbing my heart out.

Lesley Pearse is one of my favourite authors, the research she puts in her books is magnificent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 20 Dec. 2004
I thought this book was fantastic. It is the first period novel I have read, as I usually read moden day "chic lit", but I found after only a few pages I really loved the main character Matty. Every time I thought she found happiness and was settled her world would turn upside down again - I really wanted to see Matty as a bride. I loved reading her journey from a young girl selling flowers in London, to nursemaid, her long coach trip and her businesses in San Francisco. The descriptions of the charactes and the places was excellent, I really felt as if I was there with her. I miss her and her family now I have finished! Never Look Back is definately worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more stars for this book!, 28 April 2001
By A Customer
This was the 1st of Ms Pearces books that I read, and now having read them all by far the very very very best. A real page turner, a real gripper. It had me spellbound from the 1st chapter till the very last word! The development of the characters is so well thought out, the settings make you feel as though you really are there, I could see the the poverty of New York, the journey across America and finally the gold-rush days I could taste it, feel it, live it...I was actually there! M/s Pearce made it so real! It just goes to show that there are authors who can totally wrap you up in their world. 10/10 and more! If you want a great read I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellant read, 20 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Never Look Back (Audio Cassette)
I have read all of Lesley Pearse's books but this just topped them all! It brought me laughter, tears and happines all in one, and as usual I wasn't able to put the book down. I also learn't alot about the people of this era in America that was so very interesting and you could tell Lesley hand gone into the research fully and with her heart, also the book seemed alot thicker than her other books which was a delight as it didn't end so quickly. I would recommend this book to anyone who is a avid fan of Lesley Pearse, or someone who has never read any of hers before and I can gaurantie they will be hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Jan. 2007
Cannot praise this book highly enough. Bought it, having never heard of Lesley Pearse before from a car boot sale. I thought I would take a chance on a new author as I tend to get hung up on the same few authors. Bought it for 25p can you believe it? I can safely say that my 25p was well spent. What a read!! Never cried before reading a book but when a much loved character dies (Won't say which one for fear of ruining it for future readers) I was actually sobbing. I cannot praise the story highly enough. I felt I was there with Matty during her good and bad times. I could see the places that were described by the author. I really really enjoyed it. Just bought another of Lesley books now called Remember me I am only 25 pages into it but I am already engrossed. I am so excited to have discovered this author and thankfully now have loads of her books to get through. Now all I need is more time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Look Back by Lesley Pearse, 26 Sept. 2006
What can I say, absolutely brilliant! After reading "Remember Me", I never thought another book would be in the same league as that one, but this is just as good. I was totally hooked from the first page to the last one. In some parts I cried as it was so sad that Matilda lost so many loved ones during her journey. I would thoroughly recommend this book, as I would have given it at least 10 stars!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Never Look Back
Never Look Back by Lesley Pearse (Paperback - 12 Mar. 2000)