5.0 out of 5 stars Another Pearse Classic
This is the best book I have ever read. Never before have I been so immersed in a story. From start to finish it felt like I was there with the characters and it is easy to believe this story is based on real life rather than fiction.
Published on 2 April 2003 by scatz81

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read
It was quite a good read, but quite 'dark' in places. It all turns out 'Rosie' in the end but some of it is traumatic to read.
Published 6 months ago by ChristineJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Pearse Classic, 2 April 2003
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
The plot follows the life of Rosie Parker, a young girl growing up with her father and two half-brothers. Her life is full of tradegy and heartache and through this the reader sees Rosie grow from a small innocent girl to a beautiful, caring woman - made stronger by the tramua she experiences.
All the characters are all well developed but especially Rosie and after finishing this novel you can't help but feel like you know her personally. All of Lesley Pearse's books are wonderful, but this has that something extra making it a must read and arguably the best she has wrote.

4.0 out of 5 stars Social mores well captured, 4 April 2001
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
Born in 1930's Somerset country, Rosie endures a hard life caring for her three half brothers and father from a very early age. At the age of 15 her actions help to bring about the discovery of the murders of her own mother and that of her younger brother. Her father and eldest brother are accused of the murders, father is hanged and brother released. Rosie begins a new life, firstly in Bristol, then in London in a home for mentally ill patients and finally in Sussex. In Bristol she undergoes the Liza Doolittle treatment, in London she's instrumental in exposing the cruelty inflicted on the patients and gets a boyfriend and in Sussex discovers what she wants to do with the rest of her life. She also has to deal with her avenging brother Seth.
Either the author is old enough to have lived through the period she is describing which ends in the 1960's or her research has been prodigious. Certainly she has a well-thumbed "Encyclopedia of Dates and Times" on her bookshelf. Sometimes this is rather overdone. Equating the new National Health Service as a sign of a vibrant future several times is a little tedious. However Pearse's descriptions of conditions in rural England and the events in the mental home are very well written and all too realistic. In this sense, it is a very truthful and harrowing novel. It scores too in her understanding of the horrors and moral dilemnas which POW's in the Japanese camps confonted.
There is really only one criticism I would make about "Rosie", and that is Rosie herself. She is too loyal, too valiant, too perfect, too much. In real life she would be elevated to sainthood by the age of 17. That aside, I would recommend this book to anyone as a thoroughly good read and an excellent and accurate commentary of the social manners and events affecting ordinary lives at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book by Lesley Pearse, 19 May 2011
Mrs. V. Leete "Vanessa" (Great Yarmouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
Lesley Pearse books seem to get better and better, Rosie was a brilliant book.

Rosie has a terrible father and her two older brothers are just as bad. She is moved from the family home and fostered out to a family and from there she starts to work into a mental hospital, where she witnesses horrible goings on. Eventually with one of the patients in the mental hospital who she has taken under her wing, she is invited to his parents to live and help to look after there son, they love her like their own daughter.

Rosie later finds a boyfriend, and he says he loves Rosie, but all ever thinks about is himself, and then there is Thomas Farley, when he turns up at Rosie's home looking for his sister, who has been murdered. Thomas during the war lost a leg, and his sister did not know he was still alive.

Rosie keeps in contact with Thomas over the years as a good friend, he is 15 years older than Rosie, but when she turns 16, Thomas starts seeing Rosie in a different light, he starts to fall in love with her, and he is finding it hard to keep his emotions to himself, who will she choose in the end?

Lesley Pearse as far as I am concerned is one of the best authors, the books are so full of content, I am now reading 'Tara', her first book I read was 'Charity', which was brilliant and this book had me in tears quite a few times reading it, I found it very heart wrenching at times. I have also read 'Georgia', brilliant also, 'Ellie', which was not my favourite as I did not like the ending at all. I still have 3 more of her books to read, so hopefully they are as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lesley Pearse's best book yet!, 8 Feb 2004
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
I bought Rosie after reading Trust Me also by Lesley Pearse. This book is absolutely incredible. The story follows Rosie as she grows up, from living with her disgusting older brothers, to branching out on her own. The trauma (not going to give the plot away) she goes through in her life only goes to make her a stronger person, and as we follow her through the pages we grow to love her more and more.
This book will wreck havoc with your emotions, it will make you cry and make you smile. A wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rosie, 11 May 2006
Shirley Allen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
I was given this book by a friend to read. I do not usually read this type of book, but I decided to give it a go. I started it and from the first few pages I counld not put it down. It is a fantastic read and now I am looking for more of Lesley Pearse books to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read!, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the story of Rosie. Some of the details are really harrowing but true to life. I could not put it down from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
This is the second Lesley Pearse book Ive read and loved them both (First one 'Hope').

Rosie is a brilliant character and you really get to know her. I found I was taking the book everywhere just to read a page or 2 more.

I would defo recommend you read this book and think it will suit all ages (Im 28).

I found this book a little more graphic than 'Hope' especially with the issue of rape.

Just ordered some more Lesley Pearse books as Im hooked now.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 11 July 2009
S. Harris (Surrey.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
I haven't read for years but somehow reading the review I thought I would give it a go! This was my first Lesley Perce book. I couldn't put the book down, each page was just compelling to read. I even turned the TV off so I could read. The story of Rosie, a very strong character, with a great deal of trauma through her young life and how she dealt with everything thrown at her so courageously and positively.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most harrowing yet wonderful story I have ever read., 16 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Rosie (Hardcover)
Rosie, has to be one of the most gripping reads ever.A real tear jerker and at times harrowing story of a young girl who after an immense ammount of heartache and betrayal by people she loved comes out the otherside as a strong and determined young lady who lets absoutely nothing stand in her way whatever the cost.One of the best books written by Lesley Pearse yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 17 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Rosie (Paperback)
I found this book to be one of the best of Leslie Pearce and probably one of the best books I have read in a long time. I have to say though that Bluebird "Sophie"'s review although very positive gives half the story away - I am glad that I had read the book before reading their review. I do agree with them though that it is a fantastic book

Rosie
Rosie by Lesley Pearse (Paperback - 5 Mar 1998)
5.59