Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2009
Yes, you read correctly...Jeremy Clarkson remains king. King of what?, you may rightly ask. Well, that's a very good question which I've been pondering on myself...and still haven't managed to come up with an answer which bears any sanity. I suppose you could opt for saying he's the king of ranting about everyday life...because he does that with unrivalled style. But maybe we shouldn't waste our time trying to conceive an explicable word to state what he's king of, and instead talk about his new book.

Driven to Distraction is, without doubt, his best book yet. Better than For Crying Out Loud even - and to match, leave alone be better than, F.C.O.L is a tall order. But D.T.D manages it with flying colours.
Each chapter is a collection of Jeremy's thoughts and displeasures with the world, all wrapped up in a particular type of car.
The cars range from the Reva G-Wiz (God help us, hold Jeremy back before he does something ridiculous) to the outrageously fast Koenigsegg CCX. He talks about Top Gear too.

This book is the same format as all his other books, except the alarmingly obvious revamped front cover style which was definitely a turn for the better. And I'm glad it's in the same format...why would you want anything else? Like it's predecessors, Driven to Distraction is a collection of Jeremy's laugh-out-loud-funny Sunday Times newspaper columns, and what a collection of columns they are. This book is a colossally funny read.

If you went into a bookshop tomorrow and bought this (and I strongly advise you do, right now they are half price!) and bought this book, I promise you this: you will not be disappointed.

And on that bombshell...Goodnight!
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2010
An item bought as a gift for my brother, a great fan of Jeremy Clarkson's TV series. In his opinion the book was "the best yet". The author refrained from repeating information in his other books and is a must to be read cover to cover. Good value beating prices offered by other suppliers. Thank you for making my brother happy! CP, Luxembourg.Driven to Distraction
on 15 September 2010
This book is a collection of Clarkson's columns (mainly car reviews) originally published in the Sunday Times. But even if you're not particularly interested in the cars themselves, the book is well worth reading. Clarkson's (often very strong) views on all sorts of things - often totally unrelated to cars - are aired and sometimes this results in the car review itself taking up very little space. In fact one "review", covering just over five pages, confines mention of the car itself to the final three sentences, inevitably rather scathing. Even if you don't agree with what he says, it is so well written and with such humour that it's worth buying this book anyway. And it's a book you can dip into when you have a spare moment, since each chapter can be read in isolation. Since the columns date from 2006 to 2007, some of the reviews themselves may not be relevant anyway as the cars are no longer new - and how many readers, realistically, will be in the market for a Ferrari or a Maserati? Ok, he reviews a Renault Clio and other small cars as well, but I didn't buy this to read about cars I might buy but because I like Clarkson's style. My other half can't stand him, but even he laughed when I read out a few passages.
Okay, so I confess to being a Top Gear fan. I'm not sure exactly when I moved from being a casual viewer to being a fan, but I suspect it has something to do with the indestructibility of the Toyota Hilux.

Anyway, this book really isn't about Top Gear. Instead it's a collection of articles written by Jeremy Clarkson which first appeared in the Sunday Times between January 2006 and December 2007. I've been reading it over the past couple of weeks, laughing out loud at some of Clarkson's thoughts and assertions and enjoying his thoughts about some of the cars he has driven. Some of his musings will make much more sense to those in the UK, but we can all wonder about some of Clarkson's other thorny issues. Except, Jeremy, I do know at least one woman who drives a Lexus. I'm wondering what that really means.

If you've never heard of Jeremy Clarkson, or Top Gear, and have no interest in cars then this may not be a book for you. On the other hand, if you are interested and didn't get to read the articles when they were published in the Sunday Times, you might be tempted.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith
on 16 October 2009
If you've read any other of Jeremy Clarkson's books, you won't be disappointed! Whilst reviewing a mouth-watering selection of cars, Clarkson manages to pass comment on just about every facet of British life. Clarkson's expression on the front cover says it all. Priceless!
on 19 January 2010
Very entertaining book with typical Clarkson style reviews of cars. I love it and hope he will continue writing and making great tv shows.
on 13 October 2010
This book is a collection of Clarkson's reviews of various cars, they each involve him ranting on about some random subject which is somehow related to the car in question before he delivers his verdict. They are generally really funny and I couldn't stop reading.
If you like funny books, you'll love this!
on 28 January 2010
I've everything written by Clarkson and this maintains the high standard. I know it's just a mass of reprints of Sunday Paper articles but who cares. Easy to dip into. Makes you laugh. Don't take it too seriously (well most of it anyway). Helps to be a Grumpy Old Man- I qualify!!!
on 11 November 2009
Another collection of car reviews from the master. Clarkson tends to polarise opinion and I am a long-standing fan. Yes, he is opinionated but he never requires the reader to share his prejudices or his passions and Clarkson writes fluently as one would expect from an experienced journalist. I find him entertaining and informative and on that basis I would recommend any of his books.
on 22 July 2010
In this book a collection of Mr Clarksons Sunday Times Columns. A car review in every column.
But what great car reviews. They as IMHO as hilarious as righteous. This is TopGear in a book, but perhaps something more. As there is no aid of the visual Jeremy has to write even better to keep the reader interested. And he does indeed. Every car review is bathed into a little story. And it are those stories which one can relate too. I for one very much like his observations about society today, the annoyances on the road, the lack of everyday logic of the administration. I love his general "big picture view". One should read this book for sure before buying a car!