4.0 out of 5 stars Regrets, I've Had a Few...
Obviously there's deep irony in posting a review of a new book by one of my favorite authors when one of the key elements of the book's plot is an adoring fan's online review of a new album...but oh well. I have to admit, I was a little leery when I cracked the spine of Hornby's latest novel. After setting the bar ridiculously high with his first two books, Fever Pitch...
Published on 14 Oct 2009 by A. Ross

2.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but unfocussed
My daughter bought this for my birthday last year, to add to the shelf containing all of Nick Hornby's books that I've been reading and re-reading over the years. So I'm a fan (which fits in with the subject of this tale), but not - I think - an uncritical one. The story has a promising start as we're introduced to Duncan - the latest in a long line of Hornby's feckless...
Published on 27 Jan 2011 by Jeremy Walton

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not HIgh Fidelity, 23 Aug 2010
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
When over 50 people have reviewed a book you inevitably repeat most of what has been said.

Yes this book talks to me because I'm a 40 something male with mild OCD and a love of lists and music. My Tucker Crowe being Bruce Springsteen who ironically is a favourite of Nick Hornby's, and he steals a bit of Bruce for Tucker's musical background (e.g. tearing down an over hyped poster)

Duncan is where I could have been if I hadn't got married and had kids - and I think that is pretty much the whole theme of the book - parenthood gives meaning, perspective and redemption.

It's a light but meaningful book, with characters that make you smile through recognition. Both myself and my wife read it during our holiday, it's a damn fine book for the beach or by the pool and I mean that as a recommendation not an insult. Hornby writes enjoyable easy reads, that are thought provoking enough to never make you feel you've been eating junk food.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing, 19 July 2010
A. Miles (Al Khor, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
This can be seen, I guess, as a sort of follow up to 'High Fidelity' in that it concerns men's relationships with music vis a vis their relationships with women, but updated to encompass the internet age.

But whereas all of the characters in 'HF' were completely convincing - real types, rather than stereotypes - the protagnists and settings of 'JN' come across as mere representations of stock ideas,soap opera characters. 'Duncan' (Check out his geeky Christian name!) the obsessive rock fan defined further only by his sexual and social awkwardness, the heroine Annie defined by her broodiness: The unforgivably cliched North-Eastern seaside town 'Gooleness' entirely populated by blue-rinsed pensioners. and then there's Tucker Crowe,(Rubbish name) who's credibility as a character is undermined by the fact that whilst he's a convicing early 70s rocker in the style of Alex Chilton and Lowell George,in order to make the book work was somehow famous in the post-punk early 80s. (Imagine a novel wherein say, a character based on Gary Numan was set in the early 70s, and you'll see how this doesn't work) Granted, it's a short book, but none of the characters or backgrounds are delineated in enough depth to be convincing: It's a pretty mediocre novel in short, and one that wouldn't, I feel, have been rated so highly in the press if it wasn't by an estblished author. Mr Hornby's been living on his reputation for a good few novels now: This one sees him out of puff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Masterpiece but brilliant all the same, 14 Jun 2010
R. Greenland "Readaraptor" (North west, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
Juliet, Naked is another of Hornby's books in which music frequents the storyline. The main characters are all combined through Tucker Crowe, a has-been of a musician who is spending his life in hiding living off various wives and girlfriends, the latest of which is Cat, mother to the apple of his eye, Jackson.
The story forms around Annie and Duncan, a couple who are obviously with each other because they can put up with one another and don't want to be alone. Duncan's obsession with Tucker makes it seem as though there are three in the relationship. When Tuckers "new" album comes about and Annie disagrees with Duncan's view of the album the cracks start to show in their relationship until eventually Duncan leaves. Tucker and Annie come together through the review Annie writes about the album online. The review is different to the usually fanatics and as the story develops Tucker gets in touch with Annie and the two become closer.
The story is, in my personal view, brilliant; I understand the dull drone of life for Annie as she wonders through it in a boring seaside town. Perhaps as I come from a bring town myself. As for Duncan there's times when I want to shout at him for being such a boring git or just not appreciating what he's got with Annie. Tucker is also a lively character and I believe he's that type of guy who one minute you can love and the next think he's a prick. The realistic nature of the characters come through brilliantly but I do think, as other reviews have suggested, there is an age of reader who will associate with the novel more than others. As a younger reader, in my very early twenties, I don't think I got the most out of the novel as I have done other Hornby classics. I was sat thinking throughout a lot of the beginning of the novel that Annie should just leave Duncan and couldn't believe that he left her and spent a lot of time wondering how Tucker Crowe managed to get all the women he had seemed to accumulate over the years, however then realised that if I met a guy out of a band and I was single I'd probably want to get to know him too! Also the relationship that Tucker has with his family, especially his children didn't get me interested and I found myself being very annoyed at him because of this - maybe as I'm more the children's age perhaps?
However these downsides only made me think more about the characters and the background that you don't get from the novel. I would love to read Hornby's notes and see if the ideas about their backgrounds I have match with what their creator had in mind. I think Juliet, Naked, is a great read, even if it's not Hornby's greatest work, but let's face it, there are high expectations in any of his new works!

4.0 out of 5 stars believable characters, entertaining plot, 6 Jun 2010
C. Ryan "bookfan" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
The characters are believable and well constructed. The coincidences / links between some of them stretch belief at times - but on the whole an enjoyable read. The characters are a bit sterotypical Hornby - the emotionally stunted music obsessive male, the more practical and outwardly strong female with emotional insecurities. It is constructed in a film-freindly manner - so I wouldn't be surprised to see this on the big screen in a few years.
For me it was a good book but I found the character's interactions a bit superficial and the dialogue a bit sparse - I would have liked to go a bit deeper into the nature of the relationships and motivators for them. I think that ultimately the book feels a bit too short to do this. The humour that underpins the novel is subtle and not overdone with a few 'sketches' within the book which punctuate the tide changes in the plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's on my wavelength, 19 May 2010
Judith Raddatz "BritMum" (Frankfurt, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
Hornby writes for my generation (the 40 somethings). Younger people might find it quaintly old-fashioned. Throughout this book he draws from familiar cultural experience; living in a sleepy town, Northern Soul, the search for a "better" love, discovering the joys (and woes) of the Internet; being tired of the negativity which holds England (and the English) back. It's all here in this book. That could have been me or one of my best mates he's writing about... and he writes it so well! How does he understand both the female and the male perspectives? I didn't know that a man could do that.
This is a great read, too short for a week at the beach but great for a rainy weekend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad but oh so great, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
This is quite a sad book. It is also the first novel by Nick Hornby that I've read (also sad but true) and I loved it. It was part of a buy one get one free deal in the supermarket, and this was the free book - so, why not? The title illustration was good, it was about people approaching 40, drifting a bit, so quite a relevant subject matter... I didn't expect the consistently fresh and almost humorous writing about something that was really quite sad. It was so realistic, yet so unreal, someone's encounter with their idol and its consequences. Absolutely loved it. The way he has written about those crazy fans was hilarious, the way Annie felt rejected and past it so sad - all weaved together into some incredible story.

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, 1 Feb 2010
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
Juliet, Naked is about three people: Annie and Duncan have been in a relationship for 15 years and who have long since grown apart. The third is Tucker Crowe, a retired musician who was big in the 70s (his seminal album was titled "Juliet") and who Duncan has long idolised. While very different from one another, all three share the fact that they are middle aged and facing the big questions about whether they're happy with where they are in their lives. Duncan and Annie contribute reviews of a new Tucker Crowe CD to a website. Tucker reads the reviews and strikes up an email correspondence with Annie which will lead them both to initiate changes in their lives.

I feel pretty lukewarm about this book. I got bored in sections and I actively disliked the pompous, self-centered character that was Duncan. (Thankfully Hornby also seems to lose interest in him). The plot develops slowly, seems like it's going somewhere, then goes somewhere else. The net effect is somewhat underwhelming. However I really enjoyed Annie's character and Nick Hornby's witty little observations on life in a small English town. He has a great ear for dialogue too. So it was a mixed bag for me. A perfectly okay read, nothing more.

2.0 out of 5 stars No High Fidelity, 30 Jan 2010
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
I was excited to pick this up in paperback, and while I read it in a day, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other Hornby books. I'm a huge music lover, and thought that the comparisons with High Fidelity meant this would be a winner for me - sadly, it was not to be. I didn't like the characters much at all, and thought the storyline was actually a bit on the ridiculous side. The Wikipedia entries and chat transcripts bored me.

(Interesting to see so many people saying they didn't like How to be Good - I think that's my favourite!)

5.0 out of 5 stars His best work in recent years, 9 Mar 2010
A. Browne "avid reader" (Donegal Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
By the time I had read the first three pages I knew I could read this book in one night. Unfortunately I had to go change dirty nappy. By the time I had read to page six I was looking at the size of the book and regretting that it was not larger so that it would last longer.
This is Nick Hornby's best book since High fidelity, for me this is high praise I bought two copies of it for friends the day I finished it and they bought nine copies for other friends this is exponential growth on a viral scale. I will be buying copies of Juliet Naked for friends and recommending it to all and sundry.
In this book Nick Hornby returns to the topic of obsessive fandom once again from a male perspective are women just too clued in to get dragged into this, not judging by the sales of hello magazine their obsessions just seem to be more varied.
The female perspective in this one seems more spot on dealing with wasted time on men who are not worth it.
We have a woman who has spent her last fifteen years with a man obsessed with an 80's singe song writer. When she breaks up with him she ends up corresponding with the object of her ex boyfriend/partner obsession. This leads us into the various relationships between this group and their extended circle of lovers, family, children, therapists and Northern soul fans.
This is a return to form of a beloved author. I may have seen myself and my friends in High Fidelity, I am so glad I cant see us in the cast of this novel, but we could have been if we had not chosen a different path

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted time indeed, 19 Oct 2010
Rosslock "rosslock" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
I have liked a book or two by Nick Hornby, and picked this one up whilst on holiday. The book asks questions about wasting time and whether you can get things back on track, and I certainly wondered that myself having finished this book. The time that is, that I had wasted reading this.

I get the message, and what Mr Hornby is trying to say. But he is doing it with characters that I found boring, self centered and utterly un-engaging. (Apart from Jackson that is, who seemed a very well developed and highly intelligent 6 year old considering...)

The style of writing is 'light', and you are being told what is happening rather than finding out through dialogue between characters. Ultimately I could see no point in this book, the story did not engage me at all (I kept reading hoping against hope something would happen) but ultimately felt disappointed, and felt I had wasted my time. Luckily this book is quite thin, so I did not waste all that much time.

Sorry Nick, not your best, far from it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Juliet, Naked
Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby (Audio CD - 24 Sep 2009)