5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed this book
Published 11 months ago by 5 Below

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic on epistemology and etymology
I am a fan of the Penguin - Great Ideas series of books, so when I saw this book for sale I thought it would be a great opportunity to further my knowledge of philosophy, since I I knew John Locke and his writings only on a very general level.

Published on 23 May 2010 by Sofia Romualdo

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic on epistemology and etymology, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Of the Abuse of Words (Penguin Great Ideas) (Paperback)

As you can probably tell by the title, this is mainly a book about epistemology and etymology. The author starts by exploring the way ideas are formed by the human mind, and explains how some types of ideas are more liable to error than others. He explains what it means for an idea to be "adequate" or not, on the basis that words will always be liable to mistakes if the ideas they are trying to convey aren't clear. He goes on to explore language itself, and how it is prone to mistakes (and, eventually, to "disputes") because men usually believe words to be the thing that they supposedly stand for. Since we mostly learn words before learning about ideas, most of the definitions we have will not be exactly the same everyone else has, and we will be using the same words to signify different things.

The book is interesting but, I must admit, I found it a bit hard to get into, mainly because of the language - some words, specially prepositions, seem to have changed somewhat, which confused me a bit. Also, the sentences are unusually long. I suspect this might not be as big a problem for English native speakers as it was for me (I'm fluent in English and quite used to reading in this language, but it's still not my primary language).

If you're interested in philosophy and language than this is definitely an important book to read. Just keep in mind it's not an easy one.

2.0 out of 5 stars summary., 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Of the Abuse of Words (Penguin Great Ideas) (Paperback)
I found the book to be "old" and typified with the English language of pre-yester year, however excerpts were interesting I did become overall somewhat confused!!

5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed this book, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Of the Abuse of Words (Penguin Great Ideas) (Paperback)
I bought this because I had been thinking about the gap in understanding/expression/meaning between what is felt and thought internally and what can be expressed to another person through words. Although this book does not have an answer for this, it does have some very interesting ideas about how we learn and then put ideas together based on what we have taken in from our learning- ie you only know about an apple if you have encountered an apple and you only know about them growing on trees if you have also learned this- you dont just come up with things that you have not learned.

Of the Abuse of Words (Penguin Great Ideas)
Of the Abuse of Words (Penguin Great Ideas) by John Locke (Paperback - 27 Aug 2009)
3.99