5.0 out of 5 stars No really, it IS all about the bike!
I purchased this after having watched the TV documentary of the same name and i was not let down!
I had some initial reservations about watching the programme, city guy moves to wales to rediscover himself and finds cycling in the process, it has british movie industry written all over it! The lifelong passion for the bike that was revealed however left me once...
Published on 30 July 2010 by Pablo Honey

3.0 out of 5 stars A light read
Published on 13 Oct. 2012 by R. Bowker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness On Two Wheels (Paperback)
Maybe it is because I was cycling and camping through France when I read this book or maybe it is because the author is so passionate and detailed about the subject or maybe it is because this is just a well written book, however whichever of these reasons it is I was unable to put the book down.

The book seduces you with the content that ranges from bicycle frames to seats because it is so well written and researched. You learn a lot about the history of the bicycle too as well as being introduced to real life people whose ways are better described than main characters are in many novels.

Anyway whether you like cycling or not this will certainly make you interested.

My only disappointment was not seeing the finished bike so I could compare to the one in my mind, though I am sure this is deliberate. I watched the documentary afterwards which was definitely less addictive than the book.

Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars All About the Bike, 28 Feb. 2011
I gave this book to my cycling mad husband, who tells me that it's a really good read,so I told him not to get any ideas!! I'm his pursuit of happiness.
Amazon delivers everytime, 1st class service. My husband recommends this book to anyone who enjoys their cycling and their bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful tale about the bicycle, 18 Nov. 2012
The author build his bike step by step. Each chapters about different components of the bike frame, headsets etc... Tells you the development of these components in a fascinating story which connected to the bike building process . Fantastically researched gives you a lot of historical information from the dawn of bike. First I thought I was not gonna like this too much history but enjoyed every minutes of reading. It makes me thinking how important the role of different components and a lot of things need to be considered if you build bike for different purposes.
This heartwarming story also makes you remember those people who took part in this evolution made the the machine a comfortable way of transport what we can call bicycle today. This book is about workmanship, manufacturers,industry, famous races, passion. I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book About The Bike!, 17 Jun. 2014
T. Young "Know it all" (New York) - See all my reviews
It's All About The Bike is without question my favorite book about the wonderful bicycle. And I have read many!

Very often cycling books turn into lengthy travelogues with very little about the bike. Or, they are completely technical and historic making me wish for something lighter.

Rob Penn has written a book that blends travelogue, history and craftsmanship beautifully. It is the only book about the bike that has kept me turning the pages endlessly until I found myself done and wishing it was three times the size.

Rob travels the world building his dream bike. Meeting some of cycling royalty along the way and learning about why the bike is the bike and how things have changed since it's invention.

Bravo Rob! A wonderful, gem of a book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Re awaken the joys of cycling., 4 July 2013
Had toyed with buying this book previously - I bought it as I decided to throw my leg across a bike after nearly 16 years, stress at work grossly overweight depressed - the bike represented freedom and the promise of change of lifestyle. A better me and non polluting in the process. Reading this book underlined my previous love of cycling , whipped up by the mans enthusiasm and carried along by his knowledge of his subject and the supporting anecdotes I found it a compulsive read.... The downside I started to start looking at cycle catalogues and dream once more of building my own mechanical extension of my soul... A process injurious to ones wealth.
A enjoyable journey nevertheless confirming my decision to ride a bike again - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 26 Jun. 2014
One of the best books on cycling I have ever read. This travelogue on Penn's worldwide trip to construct his dream bike is a fascinating account of the history of the bicycle and cycling, as well as an interesting and well written account of some of the characters he meets on his travels. From Birmingham to San Francisco, this is a humourous, insightful and eloquent peice of prose.

The final few pages of the book are so achingly beautifully written it's impossible not to be transported to the side of a rain swept Welsh valley as Penn takes his first pedal strokes on his custom made bike.

A lovely, heart warming and truly fascinating book and a must read for anyone with a love of all things two wheeled.

3.0 out of 5 stars A light read, 13 Oct. 2012
R. Bowker - See all my reviews
I bought this on the recommendation of a friend expecting it to add more detail to Rob's interesting TV documentary. Which one is a spin-off from the other is unclear. To be honest, there wasn't a lot more to discover though it was still an entertaining read with some reminders of the history of the various component makers. As you'd expect, by far the most interesting is the story of the frame from consultation to eventual colour scheme. In all, the book feels like an appetiser for a main course. Perhaps an A-Z of frame-smiths from up and down the country - what makes them tick and their response to different materials. Robert's enthusiasm for the all steel frame shines out and he'd have an eager readership.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its all about a bike, 25 Sept. 2010
Jonathan Fuller (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a great book. So well written, it could have been boring and pedestrian, but it is full of humanity and humour. Probably most interesting to cyclists, but if you're not one but know one, buy it for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book!, 16 Sept. 2011
This book was real good read. There are lots of interesting facts regarding the history of the bicycle. Anyone with an interest in cycling should find it totally compelling. It was easy to read and the author's passion for the subject shone though. His aim was to get a bespoke bike made for himself, the primary objective being longevity and serviceablility. His bike frame is made from Reynolds 953 Steel. I understand this steel is hard to work with. The author would probably have to take a broken frame back to Rourke's, so not so easily serviceable really. However I would order such a frame tomorrow if I could afford it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read, 20 Aug. 2011
What links the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora, the Repack footpath in Marin County CA and Albert Einstein? To put it another way, just how much can a writer condense into 194 pages? Not just a record of building a dream bike, this terrific volume is a jam-packed joy from beginning to end: social history; love letter for an obsession; geek handbook for the nuances of titanium hubs; a benediction for great craftsmen; a eulogy to one of Mankind's greatest inventions. If you ride a bike now, or have fond memories doing so from childhood, there's so much in here to enjoy. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›