5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and reassuring
Published 15 months ago by tormod46

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!
I got this book just before the birth of my second child expecting a quick, funny read from a writer whose made mysteries such as Wall Street and baseball comprehensible to me. How hard could writing about children be for Lewis?
Published on 6 July 2009 by A. I. Mackenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and reassuring, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood (Paperback)
I bought this on the basis that I like Lewis's writing style and I haven't been disappointed. I have a 6 month son, our first child, and this book has been reassuring in its discussion of familiar topics, and written in a very accessible and humorous style. It is not a self help book, or a guide to parenting/fatherhood, but it is a nice read that you can dip into in the 10 minute windows of sanity that a new parent can occassionaly find for themself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and so true, 19 Jun 2012
This is a quick and easy read, and well worth a look if you are a father yourself. It is not a tome describing the intricies of fatherhood and doesnt take on or explain serious issues. It is however, like all of his books, written in a well paced and accessible style - and taken simply on face value as a memoir of touching and amusing stories, it is a great book as so much of it rings true. He has put into words what I (and I'm sure many fathers) with young children have experienced (and sometimes can't admit) - for myself it was funny and touching to see that we are all having the same issues...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as interesting as his Finance related books, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood (Paperback)
The style of writing is the same, its just that I did not find it as interesting as his finance related books. I guess thats just me and if you enjoy non-finance stuff and like his style of writing, you shall enjoy this book as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars EVEN FUNNIER BECAUSE IT'S TRUE, 2 Jun 2009
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Since reading the first chapter of Liar's Poker I've been a fan of the writings of Michael Lewis. Certainly I admired his skill at capturing the contemporary business scene but little did I know he would some day also describe the home front with pinpoint accuracy and huge doses of his much appreciated humor.
When parenthood was soon to be come a reality in the life of Lewis and his wife, Tabitha, they felt the need for one more go at being carefree and adventurous. So, before they were really settled in they decided to move to Paris for a while. That was an adventure in itself, but becoming a father was also an adventure for Lewis, a totally unexpected one. His thoughts anticipating the birth of their first child are expressed as follows, "Parenthood loomed. There was a time when I suspected this wouldn't have much effect on me. I figured that the chemical rush that attended new motherhood might get me off the hook--that Tabitha would happily embrace all the new unpleasant chores and I'd stop in from time to time to offer advice. She'd do the play-by-play; I'd do the color commentary. Five months into the pregnancy that illusion had been pretty well shattered by the anecdotal evidence. One friend with a truly amazing gift for getting out of things he did not want to do wrote to describe his own experience of fatherhood. "Remember that life you thought you had?" he wrote. "Guess what. It's not yours anymore."
How true those cautionary words turned out to be. Lew is no longer, as he put it, the breadwinner, a well known author, he is a "go-fer," third in command as it were, directly behind mother and child.
Fortunately for us he decided to chronicle the immediate happenings following the birth of each of the couple's three children - most laugh-provoking, all true. And, how are these triple adventures concluded? With a vasectomy, of course.
"Home Game" is given a splendid reading by Dan John Miller, named as a "Best Voice" by AudioFile magazine. An American actor and musician he perfectly captures the stunned surprise of a pushing stroller Dad who recognizes the looks he receives from women as both warm and condescending. After all, they know exactly who's in charge.
Enjoy!
- Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 6 July 2009
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood (Paperback)
Unfortunately this book doesn't really get close to describing the curious process of becoming a parent and it's not even really all that funny. He has a couple of decent stories but the best come early in the book - his daughter seeing off a crowd of older boys in a swimming pool is particularly good. But once he's told his story there isn't really much to this book, stick to his other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 20 Nov 2013
P. Kennedy "yednnek" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood (Paperback)
Bought as a gift for a friend having had a loan of a copy while my wife expected or first. A good and interesting read, with some useful hints, without going down the "baby theory" route, which gets a bit tiresome.

Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood
Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood by Michael Lewis (Paperback - 4 Jun 2009)
7.19