5.0 out of 5 stars Meeting an Old Friend
Published on 23 Aug 2009 by G. M. Parry

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's my book?
It's not that I dislike the book - it's just that it hasn't been delivered in the time scale I was given
Published 11 months ago by Trudy Beadle

5.0 out of 5 stars Meeting an Old Friend, 23 Aug 2009
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Hardcover)
Reading this book was just that - like meeting an old friend. I first made Roger Mcgough's "acquaintance! as it were, back in the 60s, with his performances with The Scaffold and the McGough/Henri/Patten book of poems, "The Mersey Sound". Even then, in the full flush (!) of youth, Roger demonstarted his ability to amuse and to move. Nearly half a century later, he still can raise smiles and tears - this time with an awareness of his own mortality, as seen in his "To My Final Poem", in this collection.I chuckled aloud at his "Mr Sappho" - as if the archetypical Lesbian had a chap! and "Mr of Arc". I finished this book feeling that I'd passed an hour with a long lost old mate - I strongly recommend "That Awkward Age" to readers of any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful collection, 3 Aug 2009
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Hardcover)
Lovely varied collection, with lots of humour and some quiet underlying seriousness. Good stuff for reading aloud as well as to oneself.

4.0 out of 5 stars A serious if whimsical look at life's difficult bits, 31 Oct 2009
Jeremy Bevan (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Hardcover)
Roger McGough's latest collection of poems turns a sardonic if quietly celebratory eye on the vagaries of life's awkward age - the bit between birth and death. He is, you suspect, a poet who sees life as serious, but best approached in a whimsical frame of mind. That outlook undergirds verse on subjects as diverse as Meccano and death, love in a bus queue and the bitterness of Enid Blyton's husband, usurped in her affections by her literary creations. Some of McGough's odes (especially "To contact lenses") reach the heights of laugh-out-loud absurdity, and even his more playful offerings ("Not to mention the reader's") amuse, for the most part, rather than irritate. And if some of his ideas are a bit derivative (his seven poems in the voice of famous women's husbands owe a clear debt to Carol Ann Duffy's "The World's Wife"), he gives them his own inimitable stamp - the faintly bewildered tone of Mr Blyton, a man in the presence of something greater than himself that he only dimly comprehends, is a delight.

Yes, the tone occasionally dives into the sententious or the sentimental - the latter in poems like "Eternal Rest" - but not for long: two pages later comes along the discomfiting, cold-eyed stoicism of "I Am Not Sleeping". A rewarding and varied collection, then, if not the most devastatingly original or profound - but pretty much what you expect from one of the nation's favourite lighter poets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 2 July 2014
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book. Was going to give it to my Mum as a present, but she had to have it after me. Laughed at several pieces, reminded me very much of his section in "The Mersey Sound".

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Collection, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant! A poet with heart, soul and real wit. A poet who actually wants readers to be entertained and who understands that obscure composition acts against comprehension. Poetry is, after all a means of communicating ideas as well as emotions, passions and impressions.

Not generally a poetry reader, I came across this as a result of a comment made on my earlier review of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood. And I'm so glad I was introduced to it. It made me laugh, sigh, wonder and think. But, more importantly from a personal point of view, it inspired me to have a go at writing poetry; something I've dabbled in rarely but will now look at as a means of expressing ideas about those things that arouse passion in me.

If you're a poetry lover, this will be for you, unless you prefer those obscure verses that require the reader to possess much esoteric knowledge or perform psychic interpretation of otherwise meaningless strings of words.

If, like me, you've tended to avoid poetry as inaccessible or irrelevant, then I urge you to sample this volume. It will change your mind and show you what can be achieved by a fluid and fertile mind responding to everyday events in terms that are expressive, clever, funny, touching, deeply observant and, most of all, accessible. Thoroughly recommended. Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, 1 Jan 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Hardcover)
I love Roger McGough's poetry. His work was the first poetry to ever engage me emotionally rather than poetry to be learned by rote or explained for an exam. Over the years I have had the good fortune to see him perform his work live and he has continued over a very long career to write poetry which still touches my heart, even though it's a much older heart now than when I first discovered him at the age of fourteen.

This volume I struggled with initially, but then, when I got to the section of poetry dealing with death and ageing I suddenly remembered why I love his work. He is witty, dark, funny and tender, and there is always that edge that lifts even the most touching of poems into something rich and complex.

I also loved the selection of poems about famous women's husbands like Mr. Sappho and the wonderful Mr. Of Arc.

Funny, clever and engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great new work, 11 Nov 2010
Chris (W. Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Hardcover)
Saw Mr McGough recently on his UK tour. He read lots of poems from this new volume. Loved it, took my copy along and got it signed too! Check out the great poem Dylan the Eavesdropper, ooh and Mr Nightingale and Bedtime stories...and... I could go on. Buy it and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars reminders of our youth, 14 Jan 2010
Martin W. O'shea "book awkward" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Hardcover)
This was a gift for a friend who loves it, said it's fantastic and said it is a great read about growing up and getting through 'That Awkward Age'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile purchase!, 30 Aug 2009
Mrs. I. S. Paddock (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Hardcover)
I particularly enjoyed the poem about Alzheimer's Disease - having worked with people with dementia for many years. Well done Roger - fabulous book. I will endeavour to start my collect of R McGough's books now!

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's my book?, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: That Awkward Age (Paperback)

That Awkward Age
That Awkward Age by Roger McGough (Paperback - 25 Mar 2010)
7.19