Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 August 2009
Reading this book was just that - like meeting an old friend. I first made Roger Mcgough's "acquaintance! as it were, back in the 60s, with his performances with The Scaffold and the McGough/Henri/Patten book of poems, "The Mersey Sound". Even then, in the full flush (!) of youth, Roger demonstarted his ability to amuse and to move. Nearly half a century later, he still can raise smiles and tears - this time with an awareness of his own mortality, as seen in his "To My Final Poem", in this collection.I chuckled aloud at his "Mr Sappho" - as if the archetypical Lesbian had a chap! and "Mr of Arc". I finished this book feeling that I'd passed an hour with a long lost old mate - I strongly recommend "That Awkward Age" to readers of any age.
on 3 August 2009
Lovely varied collection, with lots of humour and some quiet underlying seriousness. Good stuff for reading aloud as well as to oneself.
on 12 October 2013
Brilliant! A poet with heart, soul and real wit. A poet who actually wants readers to be entertained and who understands that obscure composition acts against comprehension. Poetry is, after all a means of communicating ideas as well as emotions, passions and impressions.

Not generally a poetry reader, I came across this as a result of a comment made on my earlier review of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood. And I'm so glad I was introduced to it. It made me laugh, sigh, wonder and think. But, more importantly from a personal point of view, it inspired me to have a go at writing poetry; something I've dabbled in rarely but will now look at as a means of expressing ideas about those things that arouse passion in me.

If you're a poetry lover, this will be for you, unless you prefer those obscure verses that require the reader to possess much esoteric knowledge or perform psychic interpretation of otherwise meaningless strings of words.

If, like me, you've tended to avoid poetry as inaccessible or irrelevant, then I urge you to sample this volume. It will change your mind and show you what can be achieved by a fluid and fertile mind responding to everyday events in terms that are expressive, clever, funny, touching, deeply observant and, most of all, accessible. Thoroughly recommended. Loved it!
I love Roger McGough's poetry. His work was the first poetry to ever engage me emotionally rather than poetry to be learned by rote or explained for an exam. Over the years I have had the good fortune to see him perform his work live and he has continued over a very long career to write poetry which still touches my heart, even though it's a much older heart now than when I first discovered him at the age of fourteen.

This volume I struggled with initially, but then, when I got to the section of poetry dealing with death and ageing I suddenly remembered why I love his work. He is witty, dark, funny and tender, and there is always that edge that lifts even the most touching of poems into something rich and complex.

I also loved the selection of poems about famous women's husbands like Mr. Sappho and the wonderful Mr. Of Arc.

Funny, clever and engaging.
on 11 November 2010
Saw Mr McGough recently on his UK tour. He read lots of poems from this new volume. Loved it, took my copy along and got it signed too! Check out the great poem Dylan the Eavesdropper, ooh and Mr Nightingale and Bedtime stories...and... I could go on. Buy it and enjoy.
on 30 August 2009
I particularly enjoyed the poem about Alzheimer's Disease - having worked with people with dementia for many years. Well done Roger - fabulous book. I will endeavour to start my collect of R McGough's books now!
on 2 July 2014
Loved this book. Was going to give it to my Mum as a present, but she had to have it after me. Laughed at several pieces, reminded me very much of his section in "The Mersey Sound".
on 14 January 2010
This was a gift for a friend who loves it, said it's fantastic and said it is a great read about growing up and getting through 'That Awkward Age'.
on 21 March 2016
All satisfactory
on 7 August 2009
I really enjoed these poems but it did make me ask the question "When is the awkward age?" It seems all ages have their awkward moments.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse