Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 July 2011
A great idea but I found it has an awful lot of made-up & silly names in, it also has every possible spelling of more traditional names meaning the '5,000 names' are probably more like '4,500 stupid / made up / alternatively spelt names & 450 you may consider okay, and 50 you may consider using...'
on 28 February 2012
Great little book. This has great names to help you choose your new baby a beautiful name suited to them. Has modern and old names and some really quirky ones too. Great descriptions of name origins and other information. Would recommned as at a reasonably price.
on 3 August 2009
Hi! This book is a little gem - really friendly, beautifully done, informative without being overwhelming, and a bargain! It's also really up to date - it includes Barack and Malia, as well as other 'celebrity' names.
on 3 August 2010
A very good book overall, but a lot of the names are so way-out I can't imagine anyone using them!!
If you are trying to think of a name for a soon to be born and are browsing for names then this could be the book for you.

I am a teacher and have always been fascinated by the meaning of names.
I am also amazed at just how many people do not know the meaning of their name.

My first name is Glenn so I usually break the ice by saying that my name is from a hole in the ground in Wales.

In my time I have come across some amazing names what were the parents thinking?

Chlamydia- the Mum heard the name spoken by a nurse in hospital and thought it sounded classy.
Melina- I found a school nurse in fits of laughter when she heard the name from a little girl. I asked and found the name means poo in the water.

Then there have been those fabulous combinations.

E(ric Orr.
I. P. Madley and so on.

However as hard as the author tries he cannot please everyone.
One person has complained there are far too many, new made up names and another has said there are far too many old fashioned names!

Another says there are a few missing ones- but if they know there are missing ones why do they need to read the book in the first place?
Why not go the whole hog and set up a booth and charge people 50p a go for each name and meaning if they are so clever or why not let them have a go at publishing a book and see how they like asinine comments?

Seems you cannot please anyone.

I would have thought that the fact the book lists all those old fashioned names and their meaning and origins would be really helpful.

As to the made up names that is useful too.

As a Primary School Teacher this is a really useful book.

I get the book out and tell the children what their names actually mean.
Children and adults are fascinated by the meaning of their names. I see that quite a few people have criticised this book for the selection of names.

And there you have it.
This is a useful reference book of children’s names that is quite extensive.
on 30 March 2013
This book is great if you want to name a 60 year old.... I didn't find any cute names that really jumped out at me
5000 names most of which are just variations of others that have already been mentioned
For example Matt - see Matthew or Fay - see Faye
It's also got SO MANY names that nobody would ever name their kid!! Like Ham!! A shortened version of Abraham...Seriously..... Ham??
on 10 April 2012
I liked the layout of this book: easy to flick through and had detailed meanings/origins and pronunciations. I also found most of the names were fairly usable, nothing too way-out. However, I thought it seemed unusually heavy on the Welsh names. I have nothing against Welsh names of course, but not being Welsh there is no chance of me naming my child Blodwyn, etc. We have been through every boy's name in the book and have not been able to find one I like for my son, even though we like fairly normal/traditional names.
on 22 April 2014
Mediocre - yes there are lots of names but some are variations which didn't really need to be listed as several different names, if you see what I mean. I did find lots of interesting girls names, but not so many for boys. We are looking for a traditional name for our baby. I have prepared a shortlist but we may yet buy another baby book. It's not a terrible book and it is very modern in its layout but I did expect more from this.
on 20 August 2013
It's a book with baby names as you would expect no modern names in it though but it has lots of names
on 23 November 2011
When we were expecting our baby I would flick through this most nights looking at names. I am glad I bought it however it is not particularly necessary as there are a lot of websites that have baby names.

The book has very clear text & has a variety of names. It has already been passed along to my sister in law for her child so I'm sure it will get used in the family for a while.