4.0 out of 5 stars a superb example of the suspense genre
Published on 12 Mar. 2010 by Mr Creepy

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I am a huge Nicci French fan, and devour each book as soon as it comes out. However, I'm glad I got this one out of the library as it is very disappointing.

Published on 10 April 2010 by Miss L. Mencarini

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 April 2010
This review is from: Complicit (Hardcover)

I found it very hard to get into (which is the total opposite of every other NF book I have read) which was a big warning sign that it wouldn't get much better. All of the characters were unlikeable with many being totally surplus to requirements- Bonnie was a pain in the backside for me from the start. The whole plot was unbelievable, rather tedious and went into full Scooby Doo territory by the end.

NF books are gradually becoming very formulaic with a lead female character who has a major problem (is in the midst of a drama she can't work out/life is spiralling out of control etc). There are usually 2 main male characters and an assortment of female friends. There are always long passages about the main character's homes and day to day life which can be enjoyable but are now becoming repetative. Having read Nicci Gerard's (awful) solo book, I am guessing that these elements come from her.

I won't give anything away but I actually managed to guess the ending by the very uncharacteristic behaviour of certain characters VERY early on in the book; This is not what I want from a thriller, let alone a NF one! If you are new to NF, do yourself a favour and don't read this one first. In my opinion, Killing Me Softly and Secret Smile are the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this if you have read Complicit - it is the same book with another title, 12 May 2010
anon (London UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this thinking it was a new Nicci French book but found it was the same book Complicit with a different name - very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed, 7 July 2010
I agree with the other reviews, having read Complicit which is a fantastic read, I pre-ordered the new book. I am appalled that the same story can be released with a different title and sold as a "new book". Do not buy this, buy a used copyof Complicit - the story is well worth reading. I am also shocked that this title is being sold as a set of three with Complicit!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Complicit (Paperback)
I'm inclined to agree with the reviewer who says that the Nicci French books started off brilliantly, and have tapered off a bit - I wasn't impressed with Until It's Over or What to Do When Someone Dies, but absolutely love the earlier books, The Safe House and The Red Room particularly. I bought Complicit along with A Room Swept White by Sophie Hannah to read in the Easter holidays (I'm a teacher) and while I enjoyed both, I'd definitely recommend A Room Swept White more highly. I wasn't keen on the "before" and "after" device that was used, and didn't find the characters particularly engaging.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same as Complicit, 17 May 2010
As the previous reader says this is the same item as Complicit. Read Complicit by all means but don't buy this as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars a superb example of the suspense genre, 12 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Complicit (Paperback)
A baking London summer forms the backdrop to this narrative which unfolds in alternating time frames: charting the lead up to a murder and the events that follow. Bonnie Graham, a music teacher on summer break, has promised to play at a friend's wedding and to this end recruits an ill-assorted bunch of people to form a band. Within the group rivalries and hostilities bloom. The story opens with Bonnie standing in a friend's flat, with a dead body in a pool of blood at her feet. What Bonnie does next might strain believability but once beyond the initial premise the novel is a superb example of the suspense genre: fluently written, dripping with paranoia and mistrust and full of surprises and reversals. The circular device works very well and there's prolonged toe-curling tension in exploring the fate of a person who has done something beyond the pale and must evade detection. French also treats us to a deliciously sly twist at the very end.

Cath Staincliffe author of the popular Sal Kilkenny mysteries and the series creator of TV Blue Murder

1.0 out of 5 stars Duped!!!! Extremely Angry, 28 Sept. 2010
How excited was I to see a "new" Nicci French book??? Ordered it, going on holiday soon, thought "Great, a "new" book to read". Arrived quickly, and discovered I'd read it last year, under the name of Complicit. Absolute disgrace. For a company to even peddle this as a new book is shameful, to suggest it be bought with the same book under a different name unforgivable. Completely ruined my evening.
It's a shame I have to award one star - I suppose they can have that for the audacity to release the same book under two names, and cream every penny!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money!! Not thrilling in the least., 9 April 2010
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Complicit (Hardcover)
I read all the time as I am stuck in bed due to ill health. I normally adore Nicci French books and rush to order as soon as Amazon lists them. I opened the covers in anticipation of another great thriller - and what did I find? This novel is boring, plotless and pointless. There is no suspense. It is depressing. It is padded with useless text and has a miserable ending. It flips back and forth - why didn't they begin with "Before" and finish the "After", afterwards. It would at least have made it easier to follow. More like down-market chic-lit than anything. I was devastated. Read it - find something wonderful that I missed? It took me 2 hours from start to finish and I was left feeling let down by an otherwise superb author. This is the worst novel, purporting to be a "thriller", I have read in years. How it made the top ten list is because fans like me rushed and bought it. Don't bother! The only way this could be descibed as a "page-turner" would be if you wanted to use it as a fan! A very disappointed reader.Complicit

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Feb. 2012
Lois Yorke (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complicit (Kindle Edition)
I've read quite a few Nicci French books. I find them to be generally a pleasing and easy read, not too taxing, the sort of thing you can read on a long(ish) bus or train journey.

This one fell easily into that mould, but was a bit disappointing. The characters were rather sketchy, and the "heroine" I found irritating - and not as fully developed as I would like.

The plot was a bit thin too - Bonnie finds the body of her lover and then gets a friend to help dispose of the corpse; but then various complications arise (as they would); mixed in with a very weak story about getting together a band to play at someone's wedding. This was just a device to introduce the man who ends up dead at her feet! Bonnie did not strike me as either a devoted musician or a respected teacher, although she was presented as both. And the man who ended up dead was a bit of a stereotype, you know the sort of thing, free spirit, doesn't get tied down, violent but charming, ho-hum.

Not one of the best books by Nicci French, but OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars a truly enjoyable thriller, 11 Jun. 2010
J. Robins (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complicit (Hardcover)
I think the negative reviews so far of Complicit are unfair. I am a Nicci French fan, and bought the latest one with hope in my heart, for a good holiday by-the-pool read. It did the job extremely well - it was intelligently written and I was gripped until the end. Yes, it is following a much-tried-and-tested formula. And, no, it is not the best Nicci French. But it is absorbing. The first half of the book keeps you guessing about who exactly has been murdered. The second half is mysterious about the who/how/why of the situation. Of course, it's a little bit bonkers - in the way all thrillers are. But if you like Nicci French generally, and Harlen Coban, then I recommend this book.

Complicit
Complicit by Nicci French (Paperback - 17 Mar. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01