5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC FOLLOW-UP
Published on 21 Sep 2005 by Gaby Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best
I know that this book would normally reside on the window sill above the loo, but this book does not help the hard stool pass - it is not an easy read, and the facts etc dont capture your imagination like QI's companion book or schotts trivia books for example
Published on 23 Mar 2012 by hazza

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC FOLLOW-UP, 21 Sep 2005
RED HERRINGS was my favourite book of last year and now (just as my friends were breathing a sigh of relief that I had stopped dragging every conversation round to the weird and wonderful origins of the words we use every day) here comes the sequel and it's even better. Did you know, for instance, that 'buttering someone up' comes from the ancient Hindu custom of throwing globs of clarified butter at the statues of gods; that 'nailing your colours to the mast' came from captains, thinking that they were unlikely to win a sea battle, nailing their flag to the mast so their more cowardly crew couldn't winch it down and surrender; that saying something has 'got legs' comes from wine tasting -- and there's hundreds more stories where those came from... I can't imagine anyone not loving this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Book, 31 July 2009
P. Nicholls "paulandchez" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shaggy Dogs and Black Sheep: The Origins of Even More Phrases We Use Every Day (Paperback)
I found this book very interesting althought I thought it would have contained a few more well know sayings. But then again I suppose it is a sequal to a previous book so I guess if you want the full story you need to buy both

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite as good as Red herrings & White Elephants but good, 16 Nov 2008
All the most known phases, Red Herrings & White Elephants is the one to choose. However if you want more, then this book contains more but they are more obscure (less well known). Good though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present and interesting, 19 Dec 2009
I bought this for my dad for xmas but had a read myself of a few pages, really intresting facts of where saying come from. I was not disappointed as Amazon put a great "look inside" profile so I knew what I was getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaggy Dog...Black Sheep...Red Herring..., 5 April 2010
An excellent read for anyone who is interested in the origin of everyday phrases that adorn the English language. A fun read and very enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 26 Sep 2013
Got this little book on recommendation of sister.It has such a lot of funny things in it.Where expressions come from,funny little sayings,etc.Surprising where all these everyday sayings come from.Read it,its fun reading

5.0 out of 5 stars another fascinating read, 1 Mar 2013
After reading "Red Herrings & White Elephants" by the same author, it was another book to explain the sources of well-known sayings.. I enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 3 Feb 2013
Love Albert Jack - Steadily go through all his books, funny and interesting. He explains the history or words some of which you would be surprised and make good stories to tell your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill book, 24 July 2011
Not to sound like an idiot but this review really writes itself. If you have an interest in where British phrases come from then this book ticks all the boxes, its full of commonly used phrases and a few less common one too, well written and easy to pick up. If you want a crime thriller, atlas, cookery book on preparation of Highland scones or Top Gears annual then I wouldn't suggest this book however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword helper, 7 Feb 2014
I have often been unable to remember a phrase, or phrases, when trying to complete a crossword. This book will be a great help plus the explanations of the origins of the phrases are very interesting and informative.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›