1,133 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle!
Published on 4 Mar. 2007 by Isaac Frankle

3.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me!
This book certainly makes you realise that you are in control, and I actually enjoyed the process of giving up and being a non smoker from the first day I woke up!

Two week in and all is great. Thankyou!

Though I will say I got quite frustrated as he is not the best writer and repeats himself lots!
If this is intentional then for me it just got...
Published on 2 Oct. 2010 by Jp

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle!, 4 Mar. 2007
I am a 23 year old male. I had been smoking since I was 14 years old. For about the last two years of my smoking, I was constantly trying to quit - by the end, I was trying to stop every Monday. Sometimes I would go an hour, sometimes a day, maybe even four or five days, now and again. Almost inevitably though, some reason, some excuse for me to smoke, would crop up that left me absolutely no choice in the matter, I just had to have a cigarette.

I'm not sure where I heard about this book, but I did, and how grateful I am too. This is the point where you who are reading this, start to feel sceptical of what you are about to read, much like I did when reading the reviews before me. Not that I questioned the truthfulness of others, but I seriously doubted my own capability of being successful like other people had. Here's what happened...

I read the book over the Christmas period of last year, 2006. By New Year's Eve, I was going over the last chapters, preparing for the 'final' cigarette. I tried to cram as many cigarettes into those concluding few hours of my smoking life, as I could possibly stomach. With mixed emotions, I read one of the penultimate chapters, instructing me to smoke my last cigarette, and end the slavery. I say mixed emotions because there was some fear of the unknown, some trepidation there, but I must stress that I really wanted to be free and was completely clear on my decision. I think the key for me, was really believing and desiring a life free from smoking. I had to want it.

So, that was a little over two months ago as I write, not a substantial amount of time, yet not insignificant considering the longest I ever went was 6 days and that was an absolute battle every minute. So far, I have been in pubs, had some very stressful moments, been to places that I wholey associate with smoking... yet I've not even been close to smoking. It just doesn't have the same hold over me anymore.

Now, I can't guarantee you the same success as I have had, or even quarantee myself the continued success that I've had. What I can tell you, is that if you genuinely want to quit smoking, and have not yet been able to find the necessary way to do so, then this book is, at worst, an interesting read that will set you back a few pounds. At best, it will bring about a change in attitude and thought that will strengthen you to no longer smoke and enjoy all the many benefits that brings. Personally, I would recommend this book to anyone who has a desire to stop smoking - give it a try and enjoy the ride.

I am extremely indebted to Mr Carr, as without this book, I'm certain that I would still be smoking, yet somehow despising every filthy inhalation of it... right now I'm not living that tortuous paradox, I'm just getting on with life.

I wish you all, and myself, all the best of luck. Our bodies are wonderful but fragile things, and if we don't look after them ourselves, who will...? Make the leap of faith.

Best wishes all

5.0 out of 5 stars If it can work for me it will work for you., 28 Aug. 2007
Mrs. C. Barker (UK) - See all my reviews
I have tried Gum, Patches, Inhalator, Lozengers, Zyban & Champix none of them worked at all. I heard of this book and thought why not...what have I got to loose, but I have to admit that I thought that going 'cold turkey' had little chance of working.
When reading the book I was actually looking forward to the end of the book when I would have my last cigarette and excited about being a non smoker!!!!
The book makes you look at what you do as a smoker in a totally different light and shows how nice and free it is to be a non smoker.
THIS BOOK WORKS .... IT REALLY DOES WORK .... I AM NOW A NON SMOKER AND I WILL NEVER SMOKE AGAIN ... I'VE FINALLY DONE IT AFTER YEARS OF TRYING!!!!!!!

*UPDATE* Just thought I'd update you guys....well it is now 30/12/07 and I am still a non smoker and I know I always will be. Don't get me wrong there was some tough days and I'm sure there will be more to come but now I see all those people desperately puffing on those fags and now I look at them and think...well at least I'm not putting my body through that any more. When the going gets tough I simply glance through the book and some part will catch my eye and remind me why I did this in the first place then I feel fine again.
Oh, and lastly we have booked a 2 week med cruise for next year which my 2 kiddies are really looking forward to! bottom line is I know if I had continued to smoke we would never have been able to afford to do this..so is that the ultimate reward or what!

Please give the book a go if you want to quit....Good luck! xx

**Last Update ** 10/08/09
Well I'm now fastly approaching the 2nd year anniversary of freedom! (26/08/09):-)
All I can say is if you are still looking for excuses then I feel sorry for you.
Life is 100% better as a non smoker.
The other day I was walking with my 10yr old Daughter, when someone walked past us who was obviously (from the smell of them) a smoker..to be honest if made me feel ill.
My Daughter pointed out that I used to smell like that..god the shame of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are going on another cruise over Christmas & New Year this year...Italy, Egypt, Turkey, Crete & Greece etc...Can't wait, and again I know that if I never had quit we would not be able to do this.
I'm not saying that if you quit you will be able to do the same, but you WILL feel so much better.
This is my final update as I hope you now know that after 2 years as a non smoker I wanted to show you that this is not just a short term fix!

FINAL THOUGHT.....

IF YOU THINK GIVING UP SMOKING IS DIFFICULT....TRY TELLING YOUR KIDS YOU HAVE LUNG CANCER........

5.0 out of 5 stars A STUNNINGLY EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING, 8 Dec. 2002
Allen Carr has made stopping smoking ridiculously easy. My only complaint is that the author makes it far too easy to quit without the need for will-power or need for gimmicks or substitutes. Through logic and observable facts he dispels the illusion of pleasure that smoking provides. He doesn't even ask the reader to quit until they are happy and ready to do so at the end of the book.
I smoked for 18 years and am now a very happy non-smoker. Thank you Allen Carr! I cannot tell you succinctly enough of the utter joy I received on realising that I no longer had to continue to poison my body day after day, never being allowed to stop, as the addiction to nictotine enslaved me. Freedom is very sweet!
The author also provides two compact discs for after you have quit. They alone are worth the price of the book. Here is one happy customer and you will be too! Buy the book, GO ON! It will be the best decision you have ever, ever made. What have you got to lose? If you don't quit you will be no worse off than you are now. Remember Allen Carr will not ask you to quit until the end of the course. The course itself is so very easy that it is difficult to understand why we continued to smoke for so long. I now regard Allen Carr to be the only expert on nicotine addiction. Do you have a good enough reason not to buy this book?

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are reading this, you are thinking about quitting... buy this book!, 30 July 2007
I pretty much concur with the reviews of the previous 451 people (well, most of them anyway). Believe what you like.

I was told to buy this book by someone who quit 4 years ago. He was a 40-a-day smoker himself and just quit overnight using the book. When he said that he didn't ever fancy a cigarette, I was very sceptical - I know how hard my Father has found it and he quit nearly 30 years ago.

I'm not even sure I really wanted to give up - I think it was more peer pressure than anything - none of my friends smoke and my best friend is married to a Doctor! I got nearly all the way to the end (to the part where you are asked to smoke a final cigarette). I realised for possibly the first time in my life that the most revolting thing I had ever put in my mouth was a cigarette (I was a little boy once too!)

If you've read this far, you're definitely interested. As someone earlier has said, this is half of the battle. This book will help you win the final battle and the war!

I'm not pretending it will help everyone but for the cost of it, even if you quit for a day, you're getting to the point of saving the cost of the book.

As for the person who said that they didn't like the way Allen Carr talks down to them, they obviously live in a little bubble where everyone is nice and polite. Sometimes, to achieve things, we all need to be put in our place. This is something that Allen Carr does correctly. He doesn't do it "just because he can", he does it because he needs you to understand how to help yourself!

Overall?

20 a day for 22 years to nothing! In just a few hours!

It might be sunny now when you go down the pub and smoke outside... just think about what it'll be like at -10 and you're shivering in the snow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 15 April 2009
A. Connolly (Manchester. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life (Paperback)
Having been a 20+ a day smoker for the last 15 years, and now an expectant father I was determined to quit one way or another.
After trying patches, gum, inhalors, zyban tablets & NHS classes I had given up (on giving up) and resigned myself to being a life long smoker.
A friend recommended the book, and being just about the most sceptical person in the world on self-help books / psycho babble etc I dismissed the idea as a no-hoper.
I purchased the book more out of curiousity than in hope of giving up.
After 2-3 chapters I was still convinced that no way could reading make me give up my precious cigerettes.
It really is amazing, something suddendly clicks, and I'm now into my fourth week of non-smoking.
I have had no withdrawal symptoms, no cravings, no bad mood (my family are amazed as my past attempts have left me so foul mooded it's untrue).
I really would recommend giving it a go - nothing to lose eh???

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Allen Carr!, 27 April 2000
By A Customer
This book truly changed my life! After 3 failed attempts (one lasting for 4 years) to stop smoking, I was starting to think I was doomed to being a smoker forever. I was scared to try again! Then I read this book - very sceptically, it has to be said. I continued smoking whilst reading, and by the end I was looking forward to stubbing out the last filthy fag and chucking all the ashtrays, lighters and matches in the bin!
That was 18 months ago, and I have never had the slightest desire to smoke since. I can quite happily go into pubs, clubs, restaurants, where people are smoking, and it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I feel very sorry for them, rather than envy them, just like Allen said I would!
I wholeheartedly agree with an earlier reviewer that this method would be heaps better than the one the BBC used. Scaremongering tactics just don't work, nor does cutting down, using patches, any of those "usual" methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't explain how, but it really does work., 13 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
4 years ago i was desperate to give up smoking. After trying everything from patches to gum to hypnotic tapes I though I couldn't give up. Yes I managed to stop for a few days, but I always had the 'hunger' for a cigarette, until finally I gave in and bought a pack. I was shopping one weekend and noticed this funny little book, the same size as a packet of fags, on the shelf. Curiosity took over and I bought the book. It cost me ...just a little more than I was paying for a packet of 20. I started to read it a few days later. After a chapter or two, I decided that this book could not help me. Well it wasn't scaring me into quitting, it was telling me anything I didn't already know. It was nearly a month later that I thought what the hell and continued with the book. One of the best decisions of my life. I finished the book within a week. I read the final chapter on the Sunday night. I haven't had a cigarette since that Sunday, 4 years ago. Whats more I haven't wanted a cigarette since that Sunday. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to stop smoking. I know of at least 10 people who have quit after reading this book. It works....I don't know how, but it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver No Less!!!!, 24 April 2007
Mr. Mustafa Rashid (UK) - See all my reviews
Allen Carr is a legend. I am one of those who started smoking at 18 - managed to stop twice- once for about two weeks and once for about 2 months... but both times i stopped... i felt it was always a question of how long was i stoppin for rather than 'YES i have finally kicked the 'habit'!'

around 3 weeks ago i decided to go on another one of these senseless 'will power' adventures to save money! two weeks into it - and still having gone without a smoke - one of my work colleagues lent me the book - and i read it over a 48 hour period because it was an awesome read and i really wanted to quit! a week later - and now i know 99% of the nicotine has left my body.. and i am not even craving ciggies anymore... it would take my own stupidity of takin 'just the one cigarette' that will take me back - id like to think i am not that crazy - especialyl after reading the quite simply awesome book!

would i recommend it? hell yeah! at the end of the day - if you stop smoking for just two days after reading it - you are on a profit financially, health wise and are more wise to the reality of smoking!

i cannot speak highly enough of the man that is Allen Carr - May God have mercy on his soul and allow him to rest in peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype!, 21 Oct. 2004
Jr Lorrimer "jlorrimer" (Oakworth) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It's now 15 months since I read this book and gained my freedom from 25 years of slavery to nicotine. I laughed at how easy it was.. and then felt anger that I'd been fooling myself for so long. Stopping really was effortless, but unfortunately, the only difficulty you will have after reading this book is convincing other smokers that it is the best way to stop their habit successfully. Fortunately you will be armed with the information to explain their reasons for avoiding this book (basically the fear of "giving up" something!), but after buying several copies for friends who are now ex smokers I can assure you it is worth the effort. The only thing that can match the euphoria you will feel after reading this book is seeing the same results with others. By far the most amazing book I have ever read. A priceless investment that WILL change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can reading a 200 page book stop you smoking?, 13 Jan. 2005
That was what I asked. Well it can and it will, it's as simple as that. No gimmicks, no magic, no substitutes and no scare tactics.
I was recommended the book by a friend but was very cynical so never bought it. My frustrated friend bought it for me and out of curiosity I read it. I was a 20 a day smoker for 20 years, read the book and have never smoked since.
It took me just over 3 hours to read because once I started it I couldn't put it down, the truth of the book took my breath away.
I feel free, liberated and exhilerated - strong words but so very true!
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by reading this book.
Stop smoking for less than the cost of two packets of cigs! You know you just have to read it!!!!

Used & New from: £2.85