5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday fun in a book
I never realised so many card games existed. Then my friends introduced me to this book and crikey! This book plus a pack of cards is all you need to keep an entire family having fun on holidays, whether you are in the sun by the pool or in Britain in the rain. The whole family loves it.
Published on 21 Jun 2009 by M. Sear

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted!
Published on 11 Oct 2010 by Mrs. V. J. Lincoln

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday fun in a book, 21 Jun 2009
M. Sear (Milton Keynes UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted!, 11 Oct 2010
Mrs. V. J. Lincoln "vicski" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Penguin Book of Card Games (Paperback)
I ordered this book as I thought it would be great for my camping holiday. Unfortunately when it arrived I realised this was not a book to be taken lightly! It is highly advanced and would not be good for people who want to read and learn to play relatively quickly and easily. Would be good for card experts or people who would like to be card experts. As I realised it was not what I needed I sent it back and was promptly refunded without fuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and well-written, 2 Aug 2009
R. Lavallee "TheJDMBA" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Penguin Book of Card Games (Paperback)
Hundreds of games in here - compact book and very easy to read. Nice historical introduction to each 'type' of game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parlett's best yet, 19 Mar 2010
Peter Biddlecombe "peterbiddlecombe" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Penguin Book of Card Games (Paperback)
David Parlett is an unsung national treasure. He's written various books of card games over the years, and this one is the best. Games are organised into related groups and explained clearly, with information about where the games come from and the social context, including the variations in rules which are characteristic of so many card games. There are enough games here for a lifetime.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Kindle Edition, 15 Aug 2013
Lukens (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was bought a hardback copy of an earlier edition of this book as a birthday present when I was younger, and have treasured the book ever since, and it has travelled with me on many a holiday.

Due to budget airline luggage weight restrictions I decided to buy the Kindle edition for my latest holiday, and whilst having the rules for all these card games to hand was wonderful, the kindle conversion has been done appallingly badly, and for a 7.99 eBook, it is shockingly bad.

The biggest issues is that there are numerous cases where words runs into each other, with no spaces between them, or spaces in the wrong place. Here are just a few examples:

Location 249: "throwu pop portunities"

Location 387: "Includedarewhat mightbecalled children's games, but notinasepar-ate chapter"

Location 522: "andsosimpleastobeworth making more complicated. Mycontribution"

Location 787: "A defensivebidisonemadebyeitheropponentofthe opener. Thegeneralrequirement is a biddable suit"

Location 1050: "(4pp,52c)DevisedbyHubertPhillipsinthe1930s,thisunjustlyneglected"

Location 2065: "isthatinwhichplayersmakesimultaneousbidsbyholding"

Location 11017: "TheonlypossibleresponsetothisistoadaptGeorgeMallory'sanswer"

In addition to this issue, there are also several tables in the book, which are just impossible to follow in the kindle edition, they are so poorly laid out / formatted.

It's quite clear than not even a cursory glance has been made of this book by the publishers after converting to Kindle, which is amazing lazy and disrespectful to customers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version costs more, 19 Feb 2011
C. Salter "Colin Salter" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This is a splendid book, but those interested should be aware that the Kindle version costs far more than the paper version - a price-fixing policy by Penguin which baffles me. Why should paperless Kindle editions cost more than resource-consuming paper ones? Personally I won't buy Kindle books where this is the case. It's five stars for the book, but three for the inappropriate price fixing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too complex, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Penguin Book of Card Games (Paperback)
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews however I'm somewhat disappointed. If you're looking for a book that explains the rules in a simple manner then this probably isn't for you - the book seems to assume prior knowledge. It's probably great if you're a regular card player but if you're not, and you need something really simple, look elsewhere. I definitely recommend 'looking inside' the book first.

4.0 out of 5 stars cards, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Penguin Book of Card Games (Paperback)
Bought as an xmas gift, looks very informative, practical and well laid out. Hope it gets lots use, and brings much pleasure...

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Penguin Book of Card Games (Paperback)
very comprehensive ,useful card book, really well set out with easy to understand rules. I look forward to learning even more card rules .

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 21 April 2013
Trish (Cardiff UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Penguin Book of Card Games (Paperback)
I got this as a gift for a 7 year old who loves playing cards I feel it is a bit tough to understand but with help he is learning

The Penguin Book of Card Games
The Penguin Book of Card Games by David Parlett (Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)
6.99