5.0 out of 5 stars Starvation solutions
This book points the finger in the right direction. There is plenty of food. Farmers have no problem to grow plenty but do have a problem to get a proper price because there is an oversupply.Food has never been cheaper in history than it is nowadays.
Published on 29 Nov 2009 by Ron Woods

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is the kindle edition more expensive than the paperback?
I am a keen reader and willing to pay up for a good book. With the kindle becoming ever more ubiquitous, I fail to understand why the paperback comes in cheaper than the electronic kindle version. Publisher/ Amazon: please work together to resolve this nuisance. This issue is present across a number of books on your kindle store/main book website.

Until the...
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by S Klamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Starvation solutions, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
Due to oversupply and high outer quality standards, there is a lot of outgrade for second and third class and there is no appreciation for what we harvest, so we throw a lot away.
Just all this waste can feed us.To be aware what is really going on in food supply and where there is a solution, read this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our throwaway society., 8 July 2009
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
This is such a mind-blowing book that everyone should be forced to read it and it should be part of the schools' curriculum.

The numbers alone suggest we grow and/or import stuff just to bin it; one billion tomatoes, nearly two billion bananas and how about nearly half a billion unopened yoghurt tubs. These are just a few of the statistics which pretty much amounts to 400 or more per year per household.

But this is certainly not just a list; the author informs how we can try to alleviate the problem. My own household has an almost empty wheelie bin, we compost everything and rarely discard newspapers but not everyone can do this. Lack of space is one reason and yet this problem, too, can be overcome.

However, rules and regulations stacked against manufacturers is a major part of the problem, too. The pages of who throws what away and why leaves this reader with the dreadful statistic that North America and Europe throw away enough to feed the world's undernourished several times over. Staggering.

It's a must read book of nearly 500 pages but don't be put off by a school-teacher approach that we must all eat our bread crusts; mine go to help feed the birds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, well researched and informative, 8 Nov 2010
Mr. Michael Lewis "fabindia" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
I found this book very absorbing and read it from cover to cover in a couple of days.

Tristram Stuart's style of writing is easily read and yet at the same time remains academic and factual. The facts are well cross referenced and where Stuart makes estimations, he clear that these are just such and explains how he has arrived at these.

The amount we as a society waste is certainly staggering. What makes the situation worse is that the fact that it has become harder and harder to use food waste to feed livestock such as pigs and chickens. As a consequence, not only does the calorific value of waste food get lost, we have to grow more food from scratch (such soya by cuttng down rain forest) to feed live stock in order to satisfy the every increasing demand in the world for meat.

Interestingly, this book is on my son's university course's suggested reading list, so it must carry some weight in the academic world too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely insightful book, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
This book is an amazing piece of work by the author. It presents copious amounts of facts and figures on the amount of food waste that is generated (primarily in the UK but also worldwide). Tristram Stuart presents his argument through various types of food and how it is wasted throughout the food chain. For anyone who is concerned about food waste please read this. It will really make you change the way you think about food and how to reduce its wastage. The amount of research that has gone into this book is phenominal and it is a really good consolidation of information regarding the different types of food waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite chastening - worse than I ever envisaged, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
Having been brought up in an environment in which waste was never acceptable (we were at war with Germany) I find it totally abhorrent that not only do supermarkets and shops consider it to be satisfactory to deal in excessive quantities in order to maximise profit but more so is the shocking waste created by consumers, when thousands in the world and especially children and babies and dying for thr want of the simplest of food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passionate and Informative, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
This a great read for anyone who eats. It is a well written story of food getting from the field to your mouth, with unbelievable stories of food waste by major shops around the capital and people around the country trying to do their bit to stop it. I would recommend the book to anyone and hopefully it will change their buying habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book worth reading!!, 25 Oct 2013
Mr. N. Shah "Neil" (England) - See all my reviews
Excellent book worth reading! I read this book once before from the library and had to add this book to my kindle collection! The book demonstrates the amount of food waste that goes on with the supermarkets and how better food resource management could help feed the rest of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth a read, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
An interesting, informative and very challenging book which opens the lid on our world attitude to waste. Well worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this important book!, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
Being a researcher for my own books and talks on waste reduction, I've read many a book on this subject, but it is this book by Tristram Stuart that really made me pull my finger out and decide to do something about my concerns over the amount of waste, food and other, that we are a prepared to dismiss as 'normal' or even 'acceptable'.

It is probably 10 years or more since I have allowed any food waste from my home to go to landfill. But reading 'Waste'has made me consider even the small amount of food that I waste (in the form of composting it) and I have found many ways to cut this down significantly. There's the added advantage, of course, of making significant money savings - much needed in this current climate of austerity, which maybe will end up doing us all some good.

Of course it is a global problem, but with the heightened sense of awareness from reading this book I firmly believe we can all do our bit to rethink our attitudes to waste. There is still so much room for improvement. Read this book and you will (I hope) find yourself compelled, like I did, to change and to demand change around you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most informative book i've read in years, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal (Paperback)
You won't believe some of the (recent) facts that this book eloquently presents to the reader about food waste. It will stir up a lot of feelings of injustice concerning the way that the food industry currently operates. It does not require any background knowledge on food waste, social policy or anything else. If everyone read this book I'm convinced that the food waste issue would immediately be reduced

Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal
Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal by Tristram Stuart (Paperback - 2 July 2009)
7.69