4.6 out of 5 stars1,185
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 61 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on 13 March 2014
I'll be honest and say I didn't really like it. Obviously that's going against the grain as most people rave about it, and it's not to say it is not well written, but as a story I wasn't blown away.

I would recommend it however purely because of how relevant it is today in the sense of the number of references made to it. And if your like 99% of people you'll probably love it (just not so if you're anything like me).
on 6 February 2014
A most depressing but well written book, which I did not enjoy. It was for our book club therefore i had to read it, having read it once years ago
on 10 October 2012
The book is extremely dark and depressing, which was obviously Orwells intention. The book is very interesting when you look into the context of the time, and how the novel is influenced by the cold war and is also open to many interpretations. This is not a book that one reads for pleasure or enjoyment, but rather one that makes you think.
on 19 June 2010
Having always been intrested by the status of 1984 , I thought maybe its about time I read it , and found out what all the fuss was about.

Well its all based around a man called Winston , living in the dystopian state of Oceania , made up of Britain , USA , Australasia. He works , like many people , for the party. A government which heavily controls every aspect of life and censors everything. But he doesn't agree with this , he doesn't beleive it, he actively seeks out the rumoured brotherhood which aims to take down Big Brother.

The story clearly takes politics seriously and the depth in which it goes is quite high , this really isn't an easy to read book. The prinicples and ideals of the party are continually shown , and whilst reading this I got quite bored as really the actual story could be wrapped up a lot shorter. However everything is talked about , at one stage in the story Winston reads a book , which is a number of pages long talking about the party, now I wouldn't of minded but you then are reshown the book and its contents again 10 pages later. I started feeling a bit bogged down in it , and just wanted for the story to carry on.

The characters and settings however can't be faulted , each character was shown to have individuality and you saw what each of them felt towards the party in both thought and reality. The areas were vivid and it was easy to beleive you were walking down the dirtied streets alongside Wilson.

To be honest , it was something I had wanted to read but I just dont think it was really for me , maybe it's just a marmite kind of book.
on 15 April 2013
-Spoiler Alert_ (if it's even relevant for a novel of this age and pedigree)
It was probably hugely relevant in Orwell's day but being very much of the internet generation, I just couldn't relate to the sinister quality of Big Brother. I did try very hard but I suppose this novel hasn't aged that well.Sure it was easy to see parallels to current world situations in the thought police and totalitarian regimes but the last quarter of the novel just seemed too fantastical and far fetched to me. All the effort and resource spent on one guy...
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2013
Every citizen's movements tracked (voluntarily too! via cellphones), Metric measures, constant war. Not a bad hit rate. Quite depressing really.
on 24 May 2016
I know this is meant to be a classic, and the idea behind the story is interesting, personally I found this a struggle to get through. I am in the process of reading as many 'classics' as possible, and whilst the majority are hard to put down, this is a push to pick up! If you have to study it, or find the idea behind 'Big Brother' fascinating, by all means buy it, otherwise there are plenty of other books I would suggest which offer a better read.
on 6 August 2014
I tried to cut through the text to see what/who George Orwell was really telling us. I saw much about government, obviously, but also more about the hold religion, particularly Christianity has on the mind. Orwell talks about forgoing logic when it doesn't suit BBs agenda and ignoring glaring contradictions. I enjoyed the book, but found some of it a trudge, particularly in the middle. Still, worth a gander
on 20 December 2014
Not an exciting read by today's standards, but worth it for Orwell's 1947 view of what might have happened in forty years if Stalin's totalitarian version of 'communism' had taken hold of the world unopposed. Some of it (especially universal surveillance) is recognisably part of our own 21st century society. A grim book during which nothing good happens - more a warning than a novel.
on 17 July 2014
I'm in the middle of reading it, granted, but there are many spelling mistakes in this book. I'm wondering if it's a publishing problem or something? Some of the pages even seem to be in different fonts. The book is published by adarsh books and I'm just wondering if I'm the only one with this problem?