on 13 March 2016
There is nothing bad to say about this book. I highly recommend it. The story grabs you and pulls you in from the moment you start to read. The two characters are brilliantly written. They bounce off each other which gives the book some fun. I would recommend this to anyone who likes action, adventure with a bit of history mixed in for good measure.
on 2 December 2012
Sword of God starts well and continues to build momentum throughout the story. It's written in an open style that makes it easy to read. It's a little predictable and I think the author could have developed the mystery and the back story a bit more. That being said it was an enjoyable read.
on 8 June 2012
This book started well and the first chapter or so had me captivated. However, it pretty much ended there. I would have liked the story to concentrate around the female archaeologist and the exciting find that I thought could have had endless possible stories attached to it...disappointingly, the story didn't come back to her until almost the end and I still fail to understand the connection between what she found and cave in Korea/terrorist plots in Mecca. Ultimately, this book felt a bit like "Team America" saving the World for terrorists...again. I actually have no problem with storylines like this as long as they are written well but I almost gave up half way through. To me, the story reads like a poorly written film script. It is almost like the author has watched too much 24/Die Hard movies. It is full of clichés and the male bravado between the two main characters, Payne and Jones, just made me cringe. I also didn't really care in the end whether they survived or not.
on 20 September 2009
I'm in complete agreement with J. D. Whittle on this one, although I made it about half way before putting myself out of my misery and giving up. I don't normally write reviews on books I don't finish, as I feel it is unfair on those reading the review and the author. However, I feel so strongly about this book I'll make an exception. The "humour", such as it is, is terrible, misplaced and childish. The plot, from what I could make of it, was non-existent, derivative and slow - something to do with a sword. In fact I'm so unsure of what the book was about, it was never explained in any detail. By the time I got half way I could fathom no link between Payne and Jones (the main protagonists) investigating a cave full of blood and a missing boy in Korea, and events in Mecca. To be fair, such a link would have been explained in the rest of the book but I had ceased to care.

Payne and Jones have to be two of the most annoying characters in this type of fiction. Unbelievably smart, nothing can beat them, be it terrorists, codes, whatever. They are "too" clever to make them plausible. For a smart man, Jones is equally childish. Like in an earlier book, the author spoon feeds us the story, telling us that something is going to happen, or someone going to die, before it has happened. I want to be surprised, not let into the secret beforehand. Terrible.

Not recommended.
on 5 September 2010
Do I really need to give it one star?
I must admit to giving up on the book 125 pages in,a first for me. Like other readers I thought it sounds similar to other stories I,ve enjoyed over the years, how very wrong I was
A terrible piece of work, full of characters you simply don't care about and they a plod along the story in what can only be described as a childs imagination.
No depth, no substance a truely awful book.
on 3 May 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Nothing too deep, but a fast-paced action story with a bit of history thrown in and some enjoyable banner between the main characters
on 7 February 2013
i enjoyed this whole set. love the relationship between the two main characters. excellent read and recommended for anyone who likes a good action story.
on 17 March 2015
Another one in the Kuzneski mould-- adventure with a historical edge. I often wonder where they keep all the bodies -- they seem to fall like flies.
on 12 February 2008
When I came to read this, I was unaware that it was another book in the Payne, Jones and Dial sequence. On discovering this I was filled with a certain amount of expectation, having enjoyed The Sign of the Cross some time ago. Unfortunately this eventually turned to disappointment due to the way the plot unfolded. The side plot concerning the discovery of original aspects of the Koran has echoes in other books that concern the discoveries of early Christian texts that affect peoples beliefs. In this case however Kusneski has completely glossed over the discovery, choosing to confine the findings, undisclosed, to a secret archive. Why is this I wonder? In his notes Kuzneski says that he was apprehensive about writing about these themes. If so , why bother in the first place!
I personally would have preferred more historical background, being a fan of books that concern the origins of belief systems, although I appreciate that such books are not entirely accurate.
The final chapters do little to build up a sense of excitement, resulting in an anti-climax. Halfway through the book I was looking forward to picking it up again but at the end I had a feeling that I just wanted to get to the end of the book and start a new one. However I have not given up hope on these characters and look forward to another edition in this sequence.
on 7 July 2014
I love reading Kuzneski's books, it doesn't take long to get into the story