4.0 out of 5 stars Payne & Jones

Published on 20 Sept. 2009 by Matthew Turner

4.0 out of 5 stars Payne & Jones, 26 Jan. 2012
Amazon Customer (stoke-on-trent, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sword of God (Paperback)
I love Chris Kuzneski books but if your not a fan of 'edge of your seat' action films then you are not really going to like these books. The Sword of God is the third offering from Chris Kuzneski and it follows the usual format. Most of your favourite characters are back including the indestructible Payne and Jones and the storyline is packed with death and destruction as per usual. This book features the usual religious aspect that Kuzneski likes to include and he handles the subject with a fair amount of accuracy as usual.

Worth a read, a good book for the beach.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and annoying, in equal measure, 20 Sept. 2009
Matthew Turner "loyalroyal" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sword of God (Paperback)
I'm in complete agreement with J. D. Whittle on this one, although I made it about half way before putting myself out of my misery and giving up. I don't normally write reviews on books I don't finish, as I feel it is unfair on those reading the review and the author. However, I feel so strongly about this book I'll make an exception. The "humour", such as it is, is terrible, misplaced and childish. The plot, from what I could make of it, was non-existent, derivative and slow - something to do with a sword. In fact I'm so unsure of what the book was about, it was never explained in any detail. By the time I got half way I could fathom no link between Payne and Jones (the main protagonists) investigating a cave full of blood and a missing boy in Korea, and events in Mecca. To be fair, such a link would have been explained in the rest of the book but I had ceased to care.

Payne and Jones have to be two of the most annoying characters in this type of fiction. Unbelievably smart, nothing can beat them, be it terrorists, codes, whatever. They are "too" clever to make them plausible. For a smart man, Jones is equally childish. Like in an earlier book, the author spoon feeds us the story, telling us that something is going to happen, or someone going to die, before it has happened. I want to be surprised, not let into the secret beforehand. Terrible.

Not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but then WOW., 23 Feb. 2014
KM Byrne (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When Payne and Jones are 'requested' to find a missing comrade from their military days they could never have foreseen the outcome. From an island off the coast of Korea to the holiest of Muslim sites, they use their ingenuity and humour to get the job done.
Chris Kuzneski has once again seamlessly integrated adventure, humour and intrigue to bring out a great story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced military thriller, 2 Dec. 2012
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sword of God (Paperback)
Sword of God starts well and continues to build momentum throughout the story. It's written in an open style that makes it easy to read. It's a little predictable and I think the author could have developed the mystery and the back story a bit more. That being said it was an enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Team America Saves the Day, 8 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Sword of God (Paperback)
This book started well and the first chapter or so had me captivated. However, it pretty much ended there. I would have liked the story to concentrate around the female archaeologist and the exciting find that I thought could have had endless possible stories attached to it...disappointingly, the story didn't come back to her until almost the end and I still fail to understand the connection between what she found and cave in Korea/terrorist plots in Mecca. Ultimately, this book felt a bit like "Team America" saving the World for terrorists...again. I actually have no problem with storylines like this as long as they are written well but I almost gave up half way through. To me, the story reads like a poorly written film script. It is almost like the author has watched too much 24/Die Hard movies. It is full of clichés and the male bravado between the two main characters, Payne and Jones, just made me cringe. I also didn't really care in the end whether they survived or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 17 Jan. 2013
I have read most of Kuzneskis books and i like the Payne and Jones genre and i would highly reccomend them to all.
This one is not the best in the series but still a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 3 May 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Nothing too deep, but a fast-paced action story with a bit of history thrown in and some enjoyable banner between the main characters

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 28 Sept. 2012
Usual high standard. Quite a complicated plot, but it was a great story. He has obviously researched well and done an excellent job in making it authentic.

3.0 out of 5 stars good read, 7 Feb. 2013
H. Seabridge "Star Stitcher" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
i enjoyed this whole set. love the relationship between the two main characters. excellent read and recommended for anyone who likes a good action story.

3.0 out of 5 stars I often wonder where they keep all the bodies -- they seem to fall like flies., 17 Mar. 2015
Another one in the Kuzneski mould-- adventure with a historical edge. I often wonder where they keep all the bodies -- they seem to fall like flies.

Sword of God
Sword of God by Chris Kuzneski (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01