4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read that is fun without being too familiar
Rebecca and Daniel, Alex and Isabel have been a foursome since they were at university. Twenty years later Alex suddenly breaks up the group by leaving Isabel and precipitates a whole dynamic of change which leaves Rebecca's life suddenly very unstable and full of little and not-so-little secrets.

I really enjoyed this book as it doesn't actually revolve around...
Published on 28 July 2010 by Roman Clodia

3.0 out of 5 stars Good writing, ridiculous plot
Rebecca, Daniel. Alex, Isabel. Four best friends who met at university and end up married, having babies and living just streets away from each other. When Alex ends his marriage to Isabel, everything changes - and Rebecca is forced to acknowledge that life might never be the same again, especially when Alex gets together with Rebecca's hated colleague, Lorna...
Published on 14 Jan. 2011 by A. L. Rutter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good writing, ridiculous plot, 14 Jan. 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)

Okay, here to start with is a comment on book covers. I'm used to my chick lit novels having pink or pastel or glittery covers. Foursome has a slightly more serious cover and I was fooled into thinking that Fallon might be covering weighty issues the way that Marian Keyes does in her books. Instead, we get a fluffy tale about a falling out between friends and how lying is BAD. And, yes, that message is hammered home.

Having got my head around the difference between cover and contents, I whipped through this soft confection of lies and lovers in less than a day. Fallon's prose is incredibly readable - she had me turning pages feverishly, even though I scoffed incredulously at most of the plot within the book.

I really enjoyed the first part of the book where the savage office relationship between Rebecca and Lorna is explored. Lorna is a hateful character, memorable, spiteful and with a fantastic turn in passive aggressive behaviour. I had the urge to throttle her, and, as far as I'm concerned, if an author makes you have a visceral reaction like that to a character then they are doing a fine job.

My problems came when Rebecca decided that, rather than tell her bosses that Lorna was going through big personal issues that kept her from work (the normal way to deal with a work issue), she decides to perform a series of lies and charades to pretend that everything is fine with Lorna's performance. This just wouldn't happen, and I could not suspend my disbelief. At all. I found myself rolling my eyes at the behaviour of many of the characters.

With that said, I think Fallon also has a deft touch when it comes to characterisation. She writes strong and real female characters, who are bitchy and loving by turn. Those that are mothers have warm and realistic relationships with their children, who are also written well.

With Fallon's ability to write these great characters, and her smooth prose, it made me even more disappointed at the ridiculous plot. I would really love to see what Fallon is capable of when she has a decent storyline to work with. I will be reading more novels by this author, for sure, but now I know that I shall be using them as light reads when I need fluffy escapism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrific start, disappointing second half, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Foursome (Kindle Edition)
When I started reading this book I was loving it, and thought, oh yes, this will definitely be one of those up-all-night, five star books, but then it just... wasn't.

I thought Rebecca was so real, and not because she was overweight, but partly because she admitted to feeling ill towards people, particularly her co-worker, Lorna - who was a terrific character. There were so many opportunities here, to make this book really darkly, horribly amusing, with the dreadful Lorna encroaching into every corner of Rebecca's life, but then she just fell flat. By half way through I was no longer reading the book I'd enjoyed so much at the beginning. It seemed that the first third of the book was spent building up all the dilemmas and difficulties, then the second two thirds spent calming them all down again and making everything all 'nice', with very little conflict. Lorna had huge potential as anti-heroine, but it wasn't explored. There was too much detail about the ins and outs of the agency, too; I wanted to know about the relationships between the books' main characters and found myself skip reading.

Loved the writing style, just disappointed in that Ms Fallon didn't finish what she'd started. Will try another by her, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read that is fun without being too familiar, 28 July 2010
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)

I really enjoyed this book as it doesn't actually revolve around simply finding a man (although there's enough of that kind of plotline here to keep things interesting). Rebecca is an interestingly flawed character and Lorna, who we love to hate for large chunks of the book, is more vulnerable than we first expect.

Fallon is excellent at manipulating our emotions and does a fine job with Rebecca who, as narrator, we at first identify with. Later, however, we are led to see around her view of life and events and start to distrust her interpretations while never abandoning her completely.

My small niggle is that I could never picture Lorna as in her 40s: the eating issues, the unfulfilled ambition, all felt like the attributes of a much younger woman. But this is a small flaw in an entertaining read which is light and fun without being too frothy and familiar.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)
What I really like about Jane Fallon's books is that her characters could be any one of us in that they have their imperfections. Also her stories have a gritty realism, rather than the fluffiness that exists in many 'chick lit' novels.

I enjoyed 'Foursome', with it's twists and turns, and seeing how the unfolding events changed the charaters within the story, as well as the dynamics of friendships that have existed for over 20 years. The problem for me is that it doesn't match 'Getting rid of Matthew' (which was an extremely good read) and I think sometimes that having such high expectations inevitably leads to disappointment. I probably would not want to read it again, but if you're looking for a good, easy read, then this is a good one to try. (And if you haven't read 'Getting rid of Matthew' I'd highly recommend it!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Believable, 26 Feb. 2015
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)
Rebecca Morrison is a forty-year-old mother of two with a pretty good life. She has a nice, low-key but interesting job as assistant in a small theatrical, TV and film agency, an adorable husband called Dan (a family lawyer very prepared to help out with housework and cooking), gets on well with her feisty teen daughter Zoe and endearingly eccentric son William, and has a nice house in South London. And then there's Alex and Isabel, the couple who've been her and Dan's closest friends since college. The only snag is her irritating co-assistant at the agency, Lorna, who she just can't get along with. But then Alex and Isabel split up, Alex comes to Rebecca with a long-buried secret, Lorna gets promoted at work - and Alex starts dating Lorna. With Lorna now regularly in her life outside work, and ever more demanding at work due to her promotion, Rebecca's life begins to look much less perfect. Eventually she explodes, giving Lorna a piece of her mind - which turns out to have unexpected and dramatic consequences, particularly as far as Lorna and Alex, and Rebecca's relationship with Alex are concerned...

This is Fallon's third novel, and to my mind it showed definite improvements on the last two. As a former TV producer, Fallon writes about the theatrical/TV world with real knowledge and wit - even her 'imaginary' soap operas were completely believable. I also (unlike several other reviewers) didn't think that what Rebecca did during Lorna's mysterious absence was that unlikely - guilt can sometimes be a positive force for good, and I felt that Fallon portrayed Rebecca's mixture of insecurity, annoyance at Lorna and guilt at having hurt her, plus her capacity for fine work, very well. I found the work scenes utterly believable and very enjoyable. The other characters were also very believable and interesting - I enjoyed Rebecca's conversations with Isabel, and felt that Fallon made an interesting choice in what happened between Isabel and Luke; Dan was adorable, Joshua and Melanie really came to life; Lorna was an interesting study of someone who's annoying but (due to bad luck in life) has her reasons for being so; and Alex was a suitably pleasing villain (though if he was that awful, wouldn't the others have realised it sooner?). The ending tied things up relatively neatly, but not unbelievably so, and I found my attention held throughout. This is light fiction at its most enjoyable, and great reading for the tube or a busy weekday evening. I'm looking forward to reading Fallon's fourth and fifth novels next.

1.0 out of 5 stars irritating, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Foursome (Kindle Edition)
I loved Getting Rid Of Matthew and Got You Back so I was eager to read Foursome, anticipating it would be good. How wrong I was. The main character and narrator, Rebecca, is the most irritating character I have ever known. The entire book is pretty much one long massive moan on Rebecca's part, whining about her job, her colleagues, her "friends", her husband, even her 8 year old son (yes, really!). Rebecca has absolutely no redeemable features and I struggled to see why the people in her life put up with her. I really struggled to read this book as Rebecca's selfishness and intolerance really did put me off. That and the fact there doesn't really seem to be a plot at all. And what was with the ending? Characters standing up and making cringey and cliche speeches and seemingly having personality overhauls at the drop of a hat?! The idea of the plot was a good one but it was so poorly executed that the whole book just seemed aimless and confused. I was highly disappointed and hope that Ms Fallon's next offering will be much better. I'd avoid this at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy holiday read, 3 July 2010
Mrs. Sheenagh Jones "night owl" (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)
I have read Jane Fallon's other books and enjoyed them. I loved this book. It is a bit predictable......a few hairy moments and a few twists but everything works out. It is easy to read and funny and poignant. If you hate chic lit don't bother but it is more up market than the normal soppy stuff. I really enjoyed it and look forward to escaping with her next book.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Non-Story (spoilers), 30 May 2010
CC (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)
I have read Jane Fallon's previous books and enjoyed them, so was looking forward to her latest offering, only to be very disappointed.

There is so much that could have been done with the narrative but instead it seems that Jane Fallon couldn't be bothered to develop the plot at all. The notion of a plot involving the relationships of 4 people - Rebecca & Dan, Isabel & Alex, who have been friends (and couples) since Uni is a good one but it doesn't go anywhere. Far too much time is spent in the office discussing sub-plot characters that are of little or no interest to the reader and who have no real plot device.I didn't understand where Fallon was going with Alex's character, he declares his love at the beginning of the novel, turns into a rat a couple of chapters later and then disappears off the radar for most of the book, only occasionally reappearing to be a pain in the neck.

Then the reader is introduced to Luke, a love interest, and the plot temporarily turns interesting. At this point, the reader wants to delve into the narrative but it is as though Fallon cuts us off from the one of the few twists in the novel because he never really features in the storyline until the point when his skeletons fall out of the cupboard.

The character of Lorna is hideous beyond belief - I think Fallon wanted to portray her as a deeply insecure woman, which she is, but she received little sympathy from me.

The plot limps lifelessly to the finish line where Fallon conveniently wraps everything up and all is resolved (more or less). Rebecca suddenly forgets that Lorna has driven her up the wall for most of the year and they are now friends who, the reader is led to believe, would consider socialising together in the future.

Oh, such a dreadful book, I brought it 2nd hand from a charity shop and still begrudge having to pay for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Foursome, 11 July 2010
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)
This book is about 4 friends who shared a house together when they were at uni and ended up getting married and having children.

Daniel married Rebecca and Alex married Isabel.

Alex has left Isabel and has told Rebecca that he loves her and always has but she is not interested.

Rebecca loves her job but does not like her colleague Lorna so when Alex ends up hooking up with her she is not pleased. Things get really bad between Lorna and Rebecca because of Alex and in the end Daniel ends up finding out that Alex is in love with Rebecca. Also Alex in the end, ends up dumping Lorna and she can't cope so it makes things even more harder for Rebecca.

This book is another good one for the beach and it will pass the time of day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good chick lit!, 17 April 2010
This review is from: Foursome (Paperback)
I picked this book up after getting various reports on it, and with people taking the time to tell me that they loved it or hated it, I had to give it a go myself.

I was surprised, I couldn't really see where the bad reviews had come from. As a 1st time reader of Jane Fallon books, I didn't have any of her other books to compare it too, but I really enjoyed it. Good storyline, believable characters and a page turner.

I have only given this 4 stars as 1 of the storylines was very predictable and you knew where she was going with it, but apart from that, I will be recommending this book to people! Give it a go .... Its worth it!

Foursome
Foursome by Jane Fallon (Paperback - 4 Mar. 2010)