Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 March 2010
On the face of it, unless you're into hedgehogs and their lifestyle, this isn't the book you would naturally go for but the more you read the more you get hooked.

Hugh Warwick is a completely dotty ecologist who spends his time sitting in freezing fields in the middle of the night watching hedgehogs doing what they do, and he has a way of getting the charm of these wonderful creatures across that nobody else can. When not field sitting, he can be found associating with even dottier Americans at the Hedgehog Olympics, and native American Indians busily engaged in rescuing them.

The book made me laugh and in places it made me cry but I found it was one of the few books I've not been able to put down until I reached the end.

Dotty author, dotty subjects but highly entertaining and you might learn something along the way.
on 2 November 2008
I heard Hugh Warwick, the author of this lovely book, on the radio the other day. A man with a true passion for hedgehogs I ordered the book immediately! It is a beautifully presented book (it would make a super gift for anyone keen on wildlife and hedgehogs in particular) and the content is a delight to read. Mr Warwick's love for our prickly friends shines through every page. The book offers anecdotes and advice plus a lot more - different chapters deal with various aspect relating to hedgehogs, all very readable written in an enthusiastic and uplifting way.
I am a hedgehog carer and lover of wildlife and I love this book!
on 11 April 2010
I received this book as a Christmas present, and I have to say it was definately up there in the top five presents of Christmas 2009. This is a book for all to enjoy, and not just for those hedgehog fanatics out there, of which the author is certainly one. It had me giggling to myself many times, and was a great reason to get into bed early on those cold winter nights. It provides a wonderful insight into the world of our nightly garden visitor, and has left me hooked. So go on, curl up with Hugh Warwick and prepare to be entertained.
on 28 May 2009
Hugh Warwick has a remarkable talent. `A Prickly Affair: my life with hedgehogs' is a funny, informative, moving and entertaining book that I would never have imagined buying for myself. (After all, I'm a singing teacher - why would I want to learn about hedgehogs?) And now I find myself persuading all my friends to read it! Warwick has managed to combine a magpie mind, a gift for story and comic timing, an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things hedgehog, insights into evolution, and an ability to convey a coherent picture of humanity's place in the planet's ecology, and how the life and fortunes (fair or foul) of hedgehogs reflect our pattern of relating to the actual world and non-renewable resources.

This is a book you could give anyone, for any special occasion, or just for the sheer joy of giving someone a book.

While I still think that people who run animal rescue shelters, or fill their home with stray fauna, are still probably eccentric or obsessed, and have a slightly lop-sided view of humans (not all of us are wicked animal abusers ...), they do have a point. In our quest to have everything our own way and one hundred percent convenient and comfortable, we do untold and inexcusable damage to our own habitat, the environment that we need to understand and respect if we are not to paint ourselves into an evolutionary corner. And the hedgehog kingdom is a perfect example from which to learn about how to re-establish a healthier relationship with the countryside and our planet.

But this is emphatically not a `preachy' book. It is hilarious, touching, personal, engaging, and fascinating. I look forward to whatever topic Hugh Warwick chooses next to write about. I don't care what it is, or how irrelevant I think it is to me or anybody else. I shall buy the book.
on 4 January 2010
I was bought this book for Christmas by a friend. She knew I liked hedgehogs and on that premice, bought the book. This is the first book in well over a year that I have been unable to put down. It was a joy from start to finish to read.

Written in a sensitive and yet practical way, Hugh tells the reader of his study of hedgehogs throughout the UK, his fascination with the creatures whilst sharing amazing and inspiring facts about the species and visiting those who devote their lives to caring for and protecting them. He ventures overseas in search of the Asian equivalent and is perplexed but interested in the US obsession with pet hedgehogs of yet another species. The book is rounded off with guidelines on how we can all do our bit to support the species. He writes all of this with an obvious passion and gentle sense of humour.

For me this was a very special book to read. It reconnected me with my life as an animal welfare campaigner for a charity at the time when Hugh was working on the Uists. It has been wonderful to connect with my own memories of this time and I'm now inspired to make contact with fellow campaigners that I've lost touch with in the past decade as well as encouraging me to do even more for this beautiful and much threatened species.

Whatever your interest in hedgehogs, species conservation, buy this book and you will not be disappointed.
on 3 November 2008
an absolutely beautifully presented book on those little furry creatures hedgehogs! whether you merely have an interest in hogs, have a few residents or are an enthusiast this is the book for you! was going to give this to my mum for christmas but had to give it early as i wanted to read it! gorgeous little drawings of hogs every few pages! beautiful!
on 9 February 2016
Brilliant book that I was given and really wanted to get another copy for someone else.
My copy def stays here.
Tells you all sorts of stuff about hedgehogs, their capacity and their enemy's.
So nearly listed them, but resisted. Don't want to spoil it for you.
Author tells his story in relation to them so you travel with him on his journey of discovery.
Everyone where there are hedgehogs should read this, and those who think they know about them.
It's an easy comfortable read that is compelling and interesting.
Oh and the hardcover has a very pleasant presentation.
Perfect for a gift.
on 15 June 2011
Not as good as reviewers suggest. Rather little information about hedgehogs themselves, but too much about the author. A bit of of interesting facts here and there, but I would not buy this book if I knew exactly what's inside.
on 11 April 2013
I have the kindle version of this and It's staying firmly on my current reading list. I have a pretty rounded knowledge of wildlife and I learned things I didn't know about Hedgehogs in the first few pages. Hugh displays a real love for the mini beasts without being sentimental - he even quotes a recipe published in a UK newspaper for Hedgehog Spagetti Carbonara (I nearly choked on my tea) and jokes about hedgehogs with slightly radioactive tags (used for visual tracking in his initial studies)forming a critical mass....
His sense of humour is quirky and completely in line with mine. I'd dearly like to meet this man and shake his hand.

The book follows his career from the English countryside to the hedgehog cull in the Scottish Islands, hedgehog charities all across the UK, the pet hedgehogs and their fans in the USA to the hunt for Hughes Hedgehog in China.

Read this if you love Hedgehogs and you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much more you know about them afterwards.
on 22 April 2013
I am wildlife mad and have to say the Hedgehog is right up there as the best little creature in the world (close to Badger who comes second!) This is sublime to read especially if you are as passionate as I am about these adorable little creatures. What can I say about Britain's expert on this small mammal except this book has everything and more than you will ever need to know about the darling of the hedgerows. There were many amazing facts too which I was unaware of so if you, like me need a fix on the Hedgie, read this, it's superb!!