4.0 out of 5 stars A Tale Of Two Lives
Holly Krauss, the heroine of Nicci French's latest has everything: power, success, a happy marriage, her own business...and a propensity to allow the Mrs Hyde side of her personality to take control every now and again. The results of these are fairly alarming and it is not long before the consequences overlap into Holly Krauss' normal life.
Like...
Published on 18 Feb. 2006 by Graeme Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this one
Published on 22 July 2006 by OCN

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tale Of Two Lives, 18 Feb. 2006
Graeme Wright "book worm" (salford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Hardcover)
Like Krauss' character this is a tale of two lives: Holly and her long suffering business partner Meg. Other reviewers have commented on the difficulty in adjusting from Holly as narrator toMeg but this came as something of a relief as, by page 197 I had read quite enough of Holly's first person excuses for her unforgiveable behaviour and a fresh viewpoint was like a breath of country air. Without giving too much of the story line away it is only on reading Meg's account that one sees the full folly of Holly's other life.
The partnership that writes as Nicci French, after a successful start seem to have settled for a straightforward domestic rather than the intricately woven web of psychodrama that is usually their trademark and my one criticism of this is the annoyingly weak ending. Having said that the book is still an edge of the seat, unputdownable recommendation for any and all who love suspense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Topical and insightful, 2 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Paperback)
I read Secret Smile and was quite disappointed because having read all the previous Nicci French books I thought it was weak plotted and the characters were not very credible and the ending was poor.

Having just watched and enjoyed (if that's the right word!) the Stephen Fry series on the BBC about people with bipolar disorder I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was the subject of Catch Me When I Fall. I nearly always empathise with the women who narrate the Nicci French books and Holly was no exception. I thought it was well written, fast paced and satisfying, with a nice thriller slant thrown in. The whole concept of losing track of your life and what youre doing with it whilst you're deeply enmeshed in it was scary and believeable - well I thought so anyway. I read this book in two sittings and really look forward to the next.

4.0 out of 5 stars who you calling crazy?, 30 Nov. 2006
RD - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Paperback)
My first book by Nicci French and although I felt large parts of the story were predictable it was well written and entertaining. There were definitely a few bits that got my pulse racing with some good ol fashion suspence.

The main character does have the ability to irritate but that seemed to be part of the plan. The first half of the book is from her point of view while the second is through the eyes of her friend and business partner. It's a good ploy and certainly adds a new dimension to the book allowing one to see both sides of the story/problem.

Worth reading if you get a chance to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another superb thriller, 9 Sept. 2009
Eileen Shaw "Kokoschka's_cat" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Paperback)
Holly Krauss is addicted to danger, not that she climbs mountains or indulges in life-threatening sports - Holly likes to drink, she does the odd line of cocaine and she mixes-in with the fastest crowd she can find. By day she and her best friend Meg run a company that specialises in bringing a new energy to tired workforces. They are taken out of their office environment and challenged to climb trees, make a raft to cross a river or taught to walk on fire. Holly is a real live wire but sometimes her outrageousness spirals out of control. One morning she wakes up and finds herself in a strange flat, with a strange man and she creeps out, full of the knowledge that she has gone too far. What will her husband say? She won't tell him. Then the man she slept with starts stalking her.

But this is just the start for Holly, her driven life-style and her wild exhibitionism leads her into a world where any semblance of control must be abandoned. Soon enough her life breaks into pieces and she winds up in the psychiatric wing of a large hospital having tried to commit suicide. She is diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. Beleaguered husband Sam sticks by her, as does her long-suffering friend and partner Meg, but how much of Holly's paranoia is related to her illness, and how much related to the dangers that she has relentlessly courted in order to reach the highs she craves? Who can Holly trust?

I read this in one afternoon and evening. It is totally gripping, full of incident and, when it comes to the depiction of mental illness and the damage that it may do to those around the sufferer as well as to the sufferer herself, extraordinarily frightening. There is a whizz-bang, satisfaction-guaranteed ending too. The writing team of Nicci Gerrard and Sean French have surpassed themselves with this dangerously delightful thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 7 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Hardcover)
I think this is one of Nicci French's best. I was hooked from the first few pages, wanted to stay with it to the end . I love the way the authors' writing is so easy to read and yet it's 'intelligent' writing, with rich vocabulary, lively and realistic dialogue and of course the plot is well planned to take you along with it on a fast ride to the end. Great stuff: intelligent entertainment! The characters are believable and easy to identify with and love and/or hate. A hit as far as I'm concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cant wait to read more from this author, 8 Sept. 2008
Jess Hearts Books (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Paperback)
This is the second Nicci French book I've read the first being Killing me softly.I enjoyed this book so much that I ordered all of Nicci French's books after reading it.I can't begin to recommend this book enough, especially to those suffering from a mental illness or know someone going through it.I suffer from depression myself and have a friend who has Bipolar and this book gives such a accurate insight into what it's like to suffer from a mental illness from not only the person's perspective but the friends and family of the sufferer also.I could really relate to Holly and after reading alot of books on mental illness would have to say that this is the most accurate,realistic and sensitive to date.Brilliant cant wait to read more from this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this one, 22 July 2006
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Nicci French and couldn't wait to read this book. However, it didn't quite seem to live up to her previous books, especially Secret Smile (terrible TV adaptation with the camp villain David Tennant!) and Land of the Living which were true page-turners. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad book, but there just seemed to be an awful lot of rather aimless but vivid descriptions of Holly's state of mind without the build up of tensions that were in the previous books. That said, it's very fast-paced and the end kind of rushes up on you, though without giving anything away, the end did seem a little deflated. Still, it kept me busy for an evening!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the usual standard, 18 April 2007
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Paperback)
A good book and quite disturbing at times - don't read it if you are feeling down! Definitely not up to the usual Nicci French standard - the plot was pretty thin and it wasn't a page turner that has the usual chilling outcome. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written as usual, 26 Mar. 2006
T. Oksanen (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Hardcover)
It took forever for me to get my hands on this book(paperback). I guess the money this couple made from their televised books caused them to take a long break or something. Of course the serialised books which I saw on TV were not nearly as good as the books.
What I like about their books is the way they are written. Description of most mundane things that no one thinks to put in a book takes you so close to the story. The main character is always a woman whose life suddenly gets dangerous mainly cause of a man.
This story is about a woman who is so out of control that it starts to annoy. Luckily just then the story changed and it starts to get somewhere. Like said I missed reading the "French" -books but this wasn't their best. I guess I expected to find some sort big conspiracy in the end. Well written as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars by far their most accomplished one yet, 1 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Catch Me When I Fall (Paperback)
Okay, so cards on the table, I was already a big fan before I bought this book. And it delivers on the level of their over-arching promise: look how terrifying easy it is for nice safe worlds like yours and mine to slip too close the edge and then fall off. But the difference here is that the quality of the prose is just head and shoulders above what they've done with the other books. This is by no means a criticism of the other books, but more just a feeling that as writers this pair have really taken a giant leap forward in the far more satisfying direction of 'show' rather than 'tell'. So it is the prose style itself which is driving our understanding of the central character - and I can't think of when I've read a crime novel that has pulled this trick off so effectively before.
It would be interesting to know whether anyone else feels this gear change, and indeed whether the authors themselves felt it as it was happening. I wonder if they fact that they have both been writing separate novels as well has given them the impetus they needed to make this leap?
Buy this book. You won't regret it! Then please come back here and tell me what you thought.

Catch Me When I Fall
Catch Me When I Fall by Nicci French (Paperback - 6 Mar. 2008)